Scary CTP !! Boooh !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary CTP !! Boooh !

Those who have played to CTP know that to much units and to much tech can kill the gameplay, making it unbalanced and a bit unrealistic.

But the fear to look like to CTP seems to have produced evil effects.

Frightened by the fact that CTP was "too much", Meier and his staff have brought nothing new to the tech tree (only printing machine, which we were waiting fo a long time, and two or three other tech I do not remember).
    They haven't created brand new units, the specific units being just better versions of already existing units.
    They haven't improved the number of civs, which was, with 21 in Civ 2, still ridiculous.
    They have just added "Nationalism" or something like that to the list of the governments.

Yes, sure, they have improved the gameplay, they have added a cultural dimension, the borders, the GA, they have improved battlesystem.

But several gaps that had been noticed by the players through 10 years of not-sleeping nights haven't been filled yet.

What about the invention of Paper, of reinforced concrete, of television ????
    What about Medieval feet-soldiers, combat plungers, difference between diesel submarines and nuclear ones, spy satellites and scoot planes (I don't know how you say that in English) ?
    What about Hittites, Assyrians, Numids, Portugeses, Senegal empires, Hebrews, Arabs, Incas, Mayas, or Inuits ? Perhaps some of the civs I'm talking about are include, but the other ?
    What about Parlementar Monarchies, conservative dictatures, half-direct-democraty, Totalitarian systems etc..

CTP is not fun because of too much tech, too much units, and too much govts, that are often totaly unrealistic. But putting about 90 techs to describe Humanity history, it's a bit weak, isn't it ?

I'm sure that civ 3 will be a fun game, according to what I've watched on tis site and on civ3.com. But why not filling the gaps of this wonderful entertainment at the occasion of release of the third sequel ????
    M. le Comte

Re: Scary CTP !! Boooh !

Originally posted by M. le Comte
    Those who have played to CTP know that to much units and to much tech can kill the gameplay, making it unbalanced and a bit unrealistic.
    the mods for ctp1/2 have ADDED units/techs/etc and ended up being more balanced...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

You can't add to the tech tree without increasing the length of the game, unless each one is reduced in impact. A lot of civ advances need not be included unless it makes a material difference in the game, such as new units, new city improvements, or new wonders.

I don't see what's the point of adding more new units either. So you can produce nuclear subs, so? They aren't all that much more different than diesel boats, unless there is a new unit type the ballistic subs ("boomers"), which doesn't do anything other than cruising around with nuclear missiles.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Theocracies

There are two things of CTP i shall miss in Civ 3

1. Off course they had too much governments, but I liked Theocracy. The 'Cleric'-guy is somebody I certainly miss. However, Theocracy was too powerfull in CTP. All of the great and invincible nations were theocracies in my games. Science should suck like a vacuum cleaner in theocracies.
        2. The Corporate Branch (the man with the desk that moved) was also a cool CTP unit. The power of America and Europe nowadays are great, because of the multinationals like Ford, McDonalds, Philips, Mercedes etc.

By the way, I hope the patrizans of Civ II come back! I liked it when I had support from guerilla forces after losing a city. Maybe in Civ 3, they could use culture points and the city hapinness for this. Happy cities with high culture should unleash masses of patrizans, low-culture cities with too much unhappy citizens should unleash a few.

Comment

It's not the many more techs/units that made the game less interesting (That is what I'll miss in Civ3), the things that made CTP1/2 more boring was: Bugs, things weren't balanced, the AI was DUMB, there's never people on the servers who wants to play a MP game for more than 5 minutes (then they quit ), etc, etc, etc...I could go on like this forever, but the tech tree did not make the game boring
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
            but the tech tree did not make the game boring
            You're right, it just made it painfully stupid. In my opinion anyways, I thought alot of the new units, techs and, concepts in CTP where incredibly stupid/cheesy, especially when you get into the 'futuristic' crap they had.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

You're right, it just made it painfully stupid. In my opinion anyways, I thought alot of the new units, techs and, concepts in CTP where incredibly stupid/cheesy, especially when you get into the 'futuristic' crap they had.
              They didn't even have half "futuristic" crap as they had of "the rest of the history" crap. The slaver sucked big time (in SP anyway), the same did all the other "slaver alike" people, like the televangilist (sp?) or that boring prist. They took out great wonders (and threw it to the trashcan) and changed great wonders into bad wonders, while they also added bad wonders.

But the future part was great, nice cities and good units, there's only these things I don't want to see again: The Space cities, the underwater cities, the "walking city" unit or what was that and such things...But I really liked the War Walker

Comment

CtP was not a brilliant game but I have to side with those here who argue it was not the techs or units that harmed the game. Any unit that can be researched, built and put to practical use for 20 turns is a good unit. Any tech that is not superseded almost immediately is a good tech. What hurt the CtP games were their less intuitive interface, weak AI and some unbalanced material. Thankfully they also got rid of some horribly unbalancing Civ material like Leonardos. Much of their failings have been rectified by later modmakers but unfortunately the basic interface is the one thing almost impossible to change. Hence my worries about the 8 Civ limit on some of CivIII's current screens.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

They didn't even have half "futuristic" crap as they had of "the rest of the history" crap. The slaver sucked big time (in SP anyway), the same did all the other "slaver alike" people, like the televangilist (sp?) or that boring prist. They took out great wonders (and threw it to the trashcan) and changed great wonders into bad wonders, while they also added bad wonders.
                  The televangelist was certainly a moron with a tv on his head. But the cleric is a cool guy. I think these special or "slaver alike" people are one of the greatest advantages of CTP. The slaver is a good idea, but they could better work on that idea. I didn't like the aspect of 'when-you-capture-a-slave-he-goes-to-the-nearest-city'. That's just one disadvantages of the slaver.

Originally posted by ADG
                  But the future part was great, nice cities and good units, there's only these things I don't want to see again: The Space cities, the underwater cities, the "walking city" unit or what was that and such things...But I really liked the War Walker
                  iiiiiiiiiieeeeuwww!!!!
                  Civilization is not a sci-fi game!!!!
                  it's about history not about weird unusefull starwars-like pedosexual robots without a head!!!
                  buy mechwarriors

Comment

Originally posted by K.J.H.

buy mechwarriors
                    NO WAY, that "game" sux bigtime

Comment

Originally posted by K.J.H.

The televangelist was certainly a moron with a tv on his head. But the cleric is a cool guy. I think these special or "slaver alike" people are one of the greatest advantages of CTP. The slaver is a good idea, but they could better work on that idea. I didn't like the aspect of 'when-you-capture-a-slave-he-goes-to-the-nearest-city'. That's just one disadvantages of the slaver.
                      At CTP2 they took that horrible television out of the Televangelists head.
                      Thank God .

But at all the televangelist is the same of a priest with better chances.
                      In CTP2 you can control the way of a slaver by taking the units out of the nearest city so that it goes to the second nearest city and so on.

iiiiiiiiiieeeeuwww!!!!
                      Civilization is not a sci-fi game!!!!
                      it's about history not about weird unusefull starwars-like pedosexual robots without a head!!!
                      buy mechwarriors
                      I like to see my civ evolving from the nomads to the stars and that is the beauty of CTP series.

The problem with CTP2 isnt too much units or too much techs. It is the bad balance. What is fixed with the mods.
                      MarkG aswered that afirmation greatly. Since with MedMod added almost 2 times mote units and 50% more techs and the game now is amazing.
                      Last edited by Pedrunn; August 23, 2001, 17:49.
                      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                      Kill all and you are a God!"
                      -Jean Rostand

Comment

Funny, I rather liked the futuristic stuff in CTP. First thing I added to Civ2 after I found out you could mod it (found out by sheer accident) were three futuristic units and three futuristic techs (which was the limit I believe) Besides, if you didn't like the future stuff - you could simply mod it out. Then again, KJH, civ is not sci-fi, but CTP is in part a game about sci fi. You would agree, I take it, that CTP and civ are different games (although CTP is heavily derivative). The historical scope is different, the interface is different, many of the concepts are different, and so on.

Oh yeah, like every Civ2 wonder was gold. Penicillan was a far better wonder than Bach's Cathedral (and what cathedral is that? Where is it located?). Penicillan ushered in a medical revolution - that's pretty wonderful. At least CTP always had wonders - i.e. marvels of human invention, architecture, and though - as opposed to famous individuals (Newton, Smith, Bach) as wonders. Newton never had his own college, Smith was an academic who never owned a trading company, and so on. Give me a break!

Its one thing to be hostile towards CTP series for its own shortcomings. Activision released what amounted to a buggy development platform - so much so that anyone who is not interested in modding or using the mods of others should not acquire the platform. Activision abandoned their so-called game shortly after release, and so on. Too many peopel, it seems to me are disparaging CTP because it diverged from Civ or did not have Sid's imprimatur on it. CTP is its own game The first reasons are good reasons to criticize CTP, the second reasons are not.

Comment

OH MY GOD! IVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY CTP supporters in ONE PLACE! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!
                          2 OF THEM!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

hehe
                          jk

no, i agree with you. the amount of units did not make ctp a bad game, the other sh!t did. I do think civ3 should have more units, and i really do hope that it is possible to add units/civs/techs/etc.. in mods/etc.. rather than just replacing them.
                          Thats the problem with good graphics tho, theyre hard for mod-makers to replicate (see: all billion of the forums complaingin about the number of civs supported, esp. that one fatal diplomacy screen)
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
                            no, i agree with you. the amount of units did not make ctp a bad game, the other sh!t did. I do think civ3 should have more units, and i really do hope that it is possible to add units/civs/techs/etc.. in mods/etc.. rather than just replacing them.
                            Thats the problem with good graphics tho, theyre hard for mod-makers to replicate (see: all billion of the forums complaingin about the number of civs supported, esp. that one fatal diplomacy screen)
                            If we cant add units and advances in civ3 i will really consider not buying it. I will still stay sticked with CTP2.
                            I really want future!!! Even if i have to add it myself.
                            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                            Kill all and you are a God!"
                            -Jean Rostand

Comment

The only reason there are actually two CTP2 players in this forum is because the other CTP2 players are playing a game that actually exists and is actually quite good with the mods.

Seriously though, WesW, Dale, Locutus, and the rest created one of the finest examples of game balance I've seen. Their names resonate with as much power as Sid's does! That's right WesW and Co. ARE the new Sid Meier.

I'm sure Civ3 will be good. I'll even buy it the day it comes out. But will it be as good as the MedMod2? Civ3 is working with some serious disadvantages:

- No sci-fi portion of the game
                              - Lack of diverse govenrment types
                              - No unconventional units
                              - Those same old crappy wonders!
                              - No public works system
                              - Wes, Dale, and Locutus regularly dispense advice on these forums as well as incorporating user suggetions

Now if you're alert, you'll notice I just cited as disadvantages things that makes Civ unique with respect to CTP. If you don't like those things, then they're not disadvantages they're advantages. My point is, the universe is a richer place for having both Sid Meier and WesW/Dale/Locutus games in it because I happen to like playing both varieties of turn-based history-type games. So all the haters hanging out in this forum need to show the same respect for the MedMod crew as they would for Sid.

Comment

Working...
                              X