No announcement yet.

Landmarks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to the ability to name landmarks (i.e. Sahara Desert) I would also like to be able to set up markers recalling events (i.e. Defeat of the Spanish Armada). I loved that it was an integral part of Conquest of the New World and while it doesn't need to count for points I think it's fun. I always find myself naming things in my head anyways.

Comment

I keep reading about how Firaxis wants to make sure this game is FUN, and allowing us to personalize our games with Landmarks would surely contribute to the replayability and "immersion factor" of Civ3. Lets keep our eyes open for it.
      Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

I'm not so sure that landmarks would help in a game, there nice and in scenarios they would be good, but I don't think it's that important.
        I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

It is purely a cosmetic or something for the 'Giggle Factor' (much like the artisitic, but unnecessary City View). I always put in custom names for cities, so why not mountains, rivers or regions, like in CNW? One of the important things is the ability to turn them off (a toggle?) because you don't want names overprinting units, thus making them harder to identify.

Comment

Originally posted by SITS
            In SMAC/X it wasn't just about naming different parts of the map, some of the areas had special qualities ie Freshwater Sea each square produced an extra food. I would like to see that kind of thing in CIV3.
            IMO, in Civ3 there´s good reason to expand your empire towards the location of a valuable ressource. It´s the same strategy that applied to landmarks in SMAC.
            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I like the idea of being able to name mountain ranges, lakes, and so on. It gives a bit more depth to the game and you can even have squabbles in multi-player about names like the Japanese and Korea are having about the Sea of Japan . . . errrr, East Sea. Being able to name landmarks makes those random maps a bit more likeable and interesting. If this option is not in the game I won't cry but it would be nice to see.
              Formerly known as Masuro.
              The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

It's an interesting idea, this naming of prominent terrain features. It's good as an optional feature.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

To add landmarks to the game, makes the individual games more personlized...it makes the different worlds more remarkable. In earlier civ games you could only say: I just conquered the "countryname"'s cities "Some city names", with landmarks it would be more remarkable like saying: I just conquered the cities at Apolytonrange
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                  X