Unit Power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Power.

According to the civ of the week stuff, a normal archer is 2-1-1, and a chariot is 1-1-2.

who remembers the mighty 4-1 chariot of civ 1? then the 3-1 chariot of civ 2. now 1-1.

how strong do units get Firaxis? are Armors (or tanks) still 10?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I was surpried by this as well, what the hell will a warior be ! but i guess if all units are toned down it counteracts itself and there is no real change, howwever i hope they get a major boost at gunpowder, that would be realistic no more chariot defeating musketeers, thats for sure

i just noticed somthing, the egyption chariot and the babylonian archer are EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!
    "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

the babylonian archer are EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!
      Haha maybe the mig and the F15 might be 2/1/2 s also!!
      "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set ye free..."
      --John 8:32

Comment

It is a little odd that the chariot is so low on attack and defense, the warrior has go to be 1 attack 1 defense right? Maybe the chariot is further down on the tech tree so you learn it faster, but how much lower could it be?

Comment

It appears that they are going to eliminate phalanx defeating tank by simply making the math of it impossible. Smaller numbers for early units and larger numbers later make it even less mathematically possible for any damage to be inflicted upon modern units by early game units. Means upgrading is going to be even more essential throughout the game.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Yeah, the unit values are kinda different.

And it's a little odd that war chariots and babylonian archers are identical. Puzzling. I don't think the unique units are going to have a huge impact on the game. It's kinda too bad they aren't more distinctive.

attack value of 1 for a regular chariot's a real surprise. That's no better than a typical warrior. I guess they can hunt settlers/workers (0.0.1) or scouts (0.0.2) I remember not having much luck with units of strength 1 attacking units of strength 1. Basically forget it, the odds aren't with you if the enemy fortifies itself or is in any terrain other than open.

So far the values I've seen are:

settler/worker (0.0.1)

scouts (0.0.2) a default unit I think

chariots (1.1.2) egyptian (2.1.2)

archers (2.1.1) babylonian (2.1.2)

knights (4.3.2)

swordsmen (3.2.1)

french musketeers (3.4.1)

catapults (0(4).0.1)

I wonder what horsemen will be? 2.1.2 as well? That will make chariots and baby archers obsolete real fast (it's the tech right after the wheel chariot one).

Doesn't look like the Egyptians or bab's will have unique units around for long, and if they don't run into another civ real fast they aren't going to have a golden age.

Are there fractional values with these things? Perhaps having armies makes 1.1.2 chariots useful? Maybe that's why the unit strengths have been shifted.

Anyone know if firepower is still in, or if the ancient units have varying numbers of 'hit points'? No mention of it is made in the description of the units for the civ, so I'm guessing they're all the same for the same era.

Interested to see what values pop up in next weeks civ of the week.

Phutnote

Comment

i dont think CSUs will go obsolete, or they shouldnt.

i should be able to build impis in 2000 ad
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Egyptian chariots versus riflemen? Ancient units, CSU or not, should be obsolete by the industrial age at the very latest.

Comment

Maybe the lower values are also meant to encourage stacked armies?
                  If you have standard chariots, archers and warriors at almost the same level then a 1 on 1 fight becomes more dicy. Especially if the defender is fortified, you are definitely not going to attack them with just one unit of similar att/def strength. So, we will want to have stack armies to try to overpower them.
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I think you could be right. They are attempting to prevent 1 v 1 fights being practical at the start of the game so expansion is slowed even further because only armies can push outward and you will only have a very few of those. A novel way of stopping scouts exploring the biggest continent by 1000 B.C. Settlers may have to go a-settling with an armed guard rather than risking a few turns of being unprotected too.

Of course this is going to make barbarians a major pain in the butt if they prefer to pillage and force you to attack them. I still haven't figured out how a warband 'pillages' a road anyway. Since Roman roads survive in Britain today it looks like the Angles, Celts, Vikings, Danes, Saxons, Picts, Irish, Welsh, revolting peasants and other visitors must not have had the knack, whatever it is.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

all roads lead to rome my friend.

the romans were way ahead of their time for all feats of engineering.

maybe the romans should have the ability to build roads faster.

and egypt could irrigate faster.

and britian could mine faster.

and america could um. err... eat its young faster.

Comment

It's possible that different units have special properties, or that they work with each other within the stacked army.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It's silly that chariots has a 1 attack factor. It should have been a 3 or 4, but make them expensive to build. Maybe double the prior cost.

It seems like that now the expansionist special ability can be really awesome, if your scout can bring out a bunch of mercenaries from the goodie huts early
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

By having very low attack/defence values for early units and very high ones for later units you can prevent the phalanx beats tank phenomenon. We get 1/1/2 units in the beginning but 15/17/5 units later (guesstimates, not real numbers).
                            "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                            "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

The solution is not to reduce the power of the early units because their strengths still have to make sense when compared to each other. Clearly a chariot unit should be able to pulverise a warrior unit.

The solution is to increase the power of later units.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X