about cease fire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about cease fire.

I think it will be fun if you can argue with your enemy and ask for city and money from them when they want to cease fire with you.

I would believe you will be able to. The screen shots of diplomacy seem to show tons of options and trade issues. It seems that agreements will be included in the things that will be traded. So you can trade your participation in an alliance based on a certain amount of gold a turn.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Do you think they (the AI) will do it the easy way or the hard way?

The hard way: Just take all there cities and destroy them.

The easy way: Ask them to give you all there cities in exchange for an alliance (, and that there citizens are spared).

"[COLOR={qcolor}]You give me that strategic island, and I'll spare you some units and offer you my protection for your other cities until I've spanked the other civs.[/COLOR]"

How far do you think one can push the AIs?
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Or maybe it will be like there are tons of things you can ask the AI, but the answer to all you're questions are:

NO!

Or maybe it will be like in ctp2. I had a lot of times that I asked for tech form an AI civ. In return I would give them some tech of mine. They refused. But when I just asked for that same tech, they countered with the request for that tech that I just offered and then accepted...

For example:

I give tech1 and ask for tech2: They refuse.

I ask for tech2: They respond with the request for tech1. Then it's OK....

I hope it will be better than that!
        Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
        If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
        "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
          Or maybe it will be like there are tons of things you can ask the AI, but the answer to all you're questions are:

NO!

Boy that sounds familiar! And after asking three different things and receiving NO, the AI player is 'irritated' with your questions and leaves, unwilling to speak to you for another hundred years!

Comment

I think you should be able to ask for a city and money for a cease fire but would the AI accept it? I don't know, but I think maybe each leader should have their own unique diplomacy personalities where a leader like Stalin probably wouldn't accept the offer and a leader like Ghadi would, I think that would make the gameplay more interesting and if you could customize your own civs and leaders, you can really make some cool civs by have unique diplomacy personalites.

Comment

Well it will be good if there is some kind of bartering that takes place as well (which I would expect under this 'bargaining table' system), ie, you make an offer, the AI counterproposes and you either reach an agreement or nothing at all...that is the way diplomacy should be done...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy

Boy that sounds familiar! And after asking three different things and receiving NO, the AI player is 'irritated' with your questions and leaves, unwilling to speak to you for another hundred years!
                And they have other matters more important to attend to!

Yes, I think each civ (leader) should have different personality and therefore react different on your proposals.

I can only hope that this will work out fine.
                Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!

NO!

I hope they have enough intelligent to agree with me offering them protection if they give me one of their cities and 10 gold per turn. (I like playing godfather)
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

That sounds like an offer they can't refuse.

*Ducks incoming rotten fruit*

Seriously, though, I've had similar trade problems, campmajor!. In Civ2 I call up a civ and ask for a tech. They say no. Two turns later they call up and ask for the same tech and offer to trade it for another, better tech. Well, ok! Of course if they want you to pay money for a tech and the sentence ends with "..." you know they want you to declare war against their enemy. If you refuse you don't even get the money back!

easy, I doubt that the AI will be able to effectively argue with you. You'll probably get something like this:

AI: If you give me Rome and 30 gold per turn I'll cease hostilities at once.
                    Me: How about Veii and 20 gold?
                    AI: No, Rome and 30 gold.
                    Me: How about Veii and 25 gold?
                    AI: You have swindled me for the LAST TIME! Prepare for war!
                    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

CtG - spot on. Who knows, though - maybe Firaxis will come up with something half-decent on the diplomatic side of things. From what I've heard though (which, admittedly, isn't a lot) that will be the sort of thing that'll come out.

What you have to remember is that it's very difficult to program an AI in these things. You either have to shorten communication considerably to stop the AI accepting ridiculous terms (which didn't always work - trading bases in SMAC being one such example) or draw very definite lines on how flexible the AI is prepared to be. I suppose Firaxis previously chose the former option because it seemed more authentic - it'd be nice to see a breath of fresh air in that department, though.
                      We're back!
                      http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

City plus money may confuse AI, so I think you may only request one, city or money at a time. I didn't plan to let it pay every turn, I was planned to let it pay all the money at once. But a certain amount for every turn sounds better I think.
                        When AI wants to cease fire with me, I should get a window and I've choices:
                        1. Accept.
                        2. Decline.
                        3. Ask for a city.
                        4. Ask for money.
                        When I ask for a city, AI should be able to know which city is better(depends on population, production, wonders etc). So when I ask for Boston, it may say how about Dover, or it will refuse it at all, but in both cases, you will see above menu again. I hope AI can be smart enough when it refused Boston last time, it won't be kind enough to offer me New York this turn. I think this should be doable in program. Another point is, you can't ask a civil to offer its capital.
                        Some money every turn is good, AI may choose to stop offer you money later and you will be asked if you want to start a war with it.
                        If you are asking for city or money from AI, of course there is chance the talk will break and the war will continue. If you also want to end the war, then you should accept it without asking for anything.

Comment

Easy, I am pretty sure you'll be able to ask for money and a city at the same time for a cease fire. Go look at the screenshots of the diplomacy windows, I am pretty sure you can ask anything for anything.

Comment

Well by the look of the negotiation system easy, I would expect you will be able to bargain back and forth to get a ceasefire. Perhaps after a good beating it is time for a nation to go down on it's hands and knees and offer something for a service. Conversely if you are not satisfied, you could demand a complete capitulation (eg, the SMAC concept of surrender) and see if they agree, if desperate enough for survival. It is all about negotiating, getting a deal. But when one side has a vastly overwhelming hand, how can you get off the handle. Perhaps only total capitulation will satisfy him, even if at all. Perhaps he wants an end to the war and will bluff you to begin with, but will accept. It is the fun of negotiating and diplomacy like this. I can see the vast potential of this system...my recent thread mentions this.
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The basic idea is that everything and anything is open to negotiation and trade. You can demand a ceasefire and then demand whatever you pick off the list; techs, money, cities, units, resources, etc...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X