List: City Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List: City Improvements

I have been quite curious looking at the City View screens as to what some of the city improvements actually are. I began last week taking screen shots of the city view and cutting out the different improvements. I then named each file my guess as to what improvement was.

Now that the new tech tree has been released I felt that I would be able to find out what most of the shown buildings are and make a list of all remaining improvements. So here is my list of what each improvement/wonder is with the required tech and screen shot if available.

Please comment on what you think I am missing or what some of the unknown pics are. I will try to update this as much as possible. Hopefully this does not take too long to download.

List v 1.2.1 - Switched JS Bach and the Sistine Chapel
    List v 1.2 - Made some changes that were suggested. Added Minor Wonder title to a few.
    List v 1.1 - Made changes, fixed broken picture links.
    List v 1.0 - Initial Work and Release

Key:
    Building (Tech) - Picture, comments

Everything should now work. Let me know if it doesn't and hopefully the pics do not take to long to download.

City Improvements:

Barracks (None) -

Granary (Pottery) -

Temple (Ceremonial Burial) -

The second image is believed to be a temple from an Ancient American culture due to this screen shot - http://www.pczone.co.uk/guest/rev_pi...v_33692_f.jpg. Look in the Improvements box. The third pic used to be under Galileo's Observatory but now the argument is that it is a Greek or Roman temple.

City Walls (Masonry) -
    Any city view screen shot.

Court House (Code of Laws) -

I had originally thought that this shot was of the university - hence its name. But looking at the tech tree this appears to be the courthouse in Civ III.

Library (Literature) -

Harbor (Map Making) -

Aqueduct (Construction) -

Colisseum (Construction) -

It is the belief of most people that the stadium (third pic) is a modern colisseum. It seems to make sense except for the image I attached below that shows both a colisseum and a stadium in the same city screen. The rational in including it here is that the pic with both of them together is simply concept art because there were no houses in the city screen.

Marketplace (Currency) -

??? (Monarcy) -
    Palace?

University/School (Education) -

The rest of them we have not seen a pic in the screen shot but the reason I believe they are in is from the tech trees.

Bank (Banking)
    Coastal Fortress (Metallurgy)
    Factory (Industralization)
    Sewer System (Sanitation)
    Police Station (Communism)
    Airport (Flight)
    Hydro Plant (Electronics)
    Recycling Plant (Recycling)
    SAM Missile Battery (Rocketry)
    Research Lab (Computers)
    Nuclear Plant (Nuclear Power)

Wonders:

Colossus (Bronze Working) -
    Picture not included to save space.

Pyramids (Masonry)
    Picture not included to save space

Great Wall (Masonry) -
    Same as Colossus and Pyramids

Oracle (Mysticism) -

Great Library (Literature) -

Lighthouse (Map Making) -

Sistine Chapel (Theology) -

Change made in v 1.2.1

J.S. Bach's Cathedral (Music Theory) -

Change made in v 1.2.1

Copernicus Observatory/Solar System (Asronomy) -
    Used to have the third temple picture as Galileo's Observatory but have made the change as evidence showed that it was instead a civ specific temple. Now the debate ravages which of the two will be the wonder included.

Isaac Newton's College -
    Theory of Gravity has another wonder - same place Civ II put Newton's College

??? / Darwin's Voyage (Scientific Method) -
    New tech has wonder. It has a pic that appears to be a smaller monkey changing to a man. Seem to be the place they put Darwin's Voyage instead of the old Railroad.

Hoover's Dam (Electronics) -
    Electronics has two improvements in Civ III the same as Civ II. Seems like Hoover is coming back

Manhattan Project (Fission) MINOR WONDER. -
    This city improvement is just an atom bomb on the tech tree pic.

SETI Program/Internet (Computers) -
    Computer has a wonder that is hard to decipher what it is. Giving what was in Civ II (SETI) but early interviews show that the Internet would be in the game.

Apollo Program (Space Flight) MINOR WONDER. -

Could it be this?

Strategic Defense Initiative (Integrated Defense) MINOR WONDER.-
    Interviews show this is in the game as a Minor Wonder.

Great Canal ( ? ) -
    Did not see anything in the Tech Tree to indicate this. But interviews have said it is in.

Techs with City Improvents, Unknown what they are:

Monotheism
    Feudalism
    Invention (Leonardo's Workshop in Civ 2)
    Free Artistry
    2 for Industrializations (Possibility of Women's Suffrage and another)
    Espionage
    Radio
    2 for Genetics (one the human genome ?, the other cloning ?)

Screen Images that are Unknown as to what they are:

Have seen inside of screenshots a couple times this grouping of houses inside a wall. Is it a city improvement? Or is it just art that fills in the City View screen?

Take a guess

Much discussion. Maybe a minor wonder? Others think it may be an American/modern barracks.

Very likely the wonder/improvement from Feudalism. Does not answer what exactly it is, though, does it?

Guessing a palace. But have only seen it once. Is it going to be in every capital city? Many propose it is the Hagia Sophia, a temple for certain civs.

Note: Synthetic Fibers, Laser, Satallites, Superconductor, and Space Flight all seem to contribute to building modules for the space ship.

Thanks in advance to those that have added input or made changes to this list.
    Last edited by tniem; August 17, 2001, 16:31.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Wow great work! Could you add your wonder stuff to the wonder thread already going?

Also I'm having toruble seeing the pics so I can't really respond. It says site not available for viewing....

Comment

Yep, same here .... "Page not available for viewing"

Comment

It appears to me that Geocities blocks me from just linking an image, I will fix it tonight when I get back from work, sorry about that.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Re: The Stadium- In the last Ask the Civ Team they confirmed that improvements would look different in each age. Also notice the two granaries/silos in the same screenshot, and that the Stadium is not linked to any tech. The only remaining possibility is that it's the modern version of an older improvement, probably the collosseum.

P.S. Get off GeoCities. If you're comfortable with FTP I suggest www.f2s.com as a fast, reliable, and feature-complete alternative.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Geocities no longer allows linking to images, which is both why the images are not showing and why the links don't work.

Stinks, doesn't it?

You'll need to find a new host.... though I don't know of any, sorry.

But untill then, the links should work if you cut and paste it into your browser.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
              P.S. Get off GeoCities. If you're comfortable with FTP I suggest www.f2s.com as a fast, reliable, and feature-complete alternative.
              Thanks. I went to Geocities because my first server was not working this morning for whatever reason. Osweld, I thought the links would work but alas they did not. But now I have gone back to hosting it on the http://www.timfryreport.com because it is working again. Hopefully this site won't overload my bandwith for the month

Re: The Stadium- In the last Ask the Civ Team they confirmed that improvements would look different in each age. Also notice the two granaries/silos in the same screenshot, and that the Stadium is not linked to any tech. The only remaining possibility is that it's the modern version of an older improvement, probably the collosseum.
              I would definitely agree with you except the pic I attached from PC Gamer shows both the Colisseum and the Stadium (?) in the same screen shot. Of course because it is an older pic, it might just be concept art but for now I am going to leave as is.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think that last picture is the Hagia Sophia museum (formerly used by the Turks as a mosque, but originally a church built by the Byzantines) in Istanbul (now it's Constantinople, now it's Istanbul - it's nobody's business but the Turks...).

Maybe it's a Greek cathedral?

Check it out here:

Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

maya/inca-related wonder

the pentagon?

Hagia Sophia
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: List: City Improvements

Originally posted by tniem

Hoped that the tech tree would help on this riddle. No idea.
                    It is a later version of the Colosseum

Some type of tower. Don't believe it is the Hanging Gardens as there is only the granary under Pottery. Could however be the improvement under Monarchy.
                    It is another temple check this screen (in the box showing all buildings).

Take a guess
                    Supermarket?

Sorry for the short post, my keyboard hang up so I had to write this using the mouse
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Yeah, the Central American tower/temple thing is just the different cultures temple. I presume in the west it will look like a church, Central America like one of these, Far Eastern like some kind of pagoda or something and be a ziggurat in the ancient middle eastern ones...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think that the watery area within the city walls with docks is definitely a harbor.

I think that we have seen three types of temples, the pagoda temple from the first post, an Arabic temple from the second and the Chichen-Itza lookalike from the third. I think that these reflect the cultural differences between the civs. Each gets its own style of building.

Comment

Great work!

Do you notice how the little Library graphic is reused to become the University, and then the Great Library?

I thought for a moment that the unknown improvement might be a sanitation system (it looks like one), but the sanitation improvement shown in the tech tree is a single building, so it must be a harbour (the harbour shown in the tech tree is a little obscured).
                          Last edited by Slax; August 16, 2001, 15:02.

Comment

Good job... keep up the good work

KoalaBear33

Comment

Re: Re: List: City Improvements

It is another temple check this screen (in the box showing all buildings).
                              Nice catch. Thanks.

I think that the watery area within the city walls with docks is definitely a harbor.
                              I agree with you and so I have made the change to the list.

Good job... keep up the good work
                              Thank you. I think I have caught up. Keep the ideas coming. And as more news comes I will make the changes.

And Mark, thanks for putting this in the news section. Was great to see that my work at least will be viewed by a few people.

Comment

Working...
                              X