No announcement yet.

The New REPUBLIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think rah has a point. i always liked republic more than monarchy for tech and trade. but i'm never an expansionist
    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Hm.

Now that settlers cost 2 pop each it seems that any government forms that promotes population growth is something that's sought after.

Since now that Polytheism doesn't give you the Elephant unit anymore I say Republic now makes an interesting alternative, esp if Philosophy still gives you an extra advance if you are the first civ that gets it.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I first use to go only for republic

then I noticed that going for Monarchy allowed a decent level of expansion for longer

basically though, if they fixed ICS then Monarchy has lost its attractiveness in the Civ2 sense

they had better have replaced it with something else

especially since in Real Life, Monarchy has been arguably better then Civ2s Republic

why for stability

maybe the republic nations will be a lot less stable and be easier to rebell

also perhaps there will be a culture bonus in monarchy

remember Civ and Civ2 had military and trade infasit

this can be seen in the governments

trade - republic, democracy
        military - depotism, monarchy, communism, fundamentalism

civ3 has 3 important infasists, trade, Military, and Culture

so maybe some governements would be ebtter for culture

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A lot of good points folks.

Pro-rep. Freebie for Philosphy is a consideration.

Pro-Mon. Culture - if temples will increase culture since cerimonial b is on the path to monarchy.

Another big consideration will be how they handle the senate for going to war.

And of course the big one is still wltkds, which we haven't heard much about.

Or will they end up being about the same from an expansionist outlook and it will depend on the first free tech you get from a hut.

RAH

Any other considerations?
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It depends on what type of game you are playing. If you're not much of an expansionist, you don't have all that many units, so the gold won't hamper you that much. if your science is good enough, you can get by with fewer units because of their higher defense.

This really DOES change things. in the old days, expansionists would always stop at monarchy on the way to republic, just to get the hell out of despotism. Warmongers would generally stay in monarchy (with a quick run to republic for growth spurt if they have the time) until communism.

it looks like now we can get to republic as easily as monarchy, other strats will come into being.
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I'm not as worried about the gold support.

They can't change it from one shield (old way) to one gold. Heck most early cities don't produce 1 gold. I'm guessing that the new one gold will be replaced by a higher unit like 100 or 1000 so it's easier to use parts of it. (similar to CTP and other games) Depending on what percentage of the unit is needed to support a unit, the extra trade arrows from Rep, may make up the difference. Even if it doesn't, I refuse to believe that a city won't be able to generate the funds to support 2 warriors. etc.

RAH

If anyone knows any specifics, (hint, hint)
              Feel free to interupt this thread. Just like my mountain comment.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                well it's simple, apply it to modern days.

whenevrer things are going swimmingly, and people have more luxuries (cars etc), they get happier.

and when they have more money and extras, they have bigger families (baby booms).

and each turn is 20 years early game, or 5 mid game. 1 year is a bit of a stretch, 10,000 people being born.
                erm then whats all that about people in africa who are poor as all hell and have like 15 children? population there is growing very rapidly and almost every one is poor, and hungry..

not every one values the same thing..

i think it would be better if each person (face icon) has his own wants and needs out of a assortment of different choices.

Every one needs the same basics, food, (market place, supermarket) water, (aquaducts, sewer system) people would only vary in wants.
                If a city is militaristic and is a size seven. 2 of the people would (for example) want military things, but these things are secondary to what people need. They might want barracks, and city walls in earlier times but once they recieve that theyll inevitably want more, so later you can get a SAM or Naval Port, Airport.

But let

Comment

To the Republic

I think the Republic should be better at war; look what the Roman Republic did to Carthage!!!

Comment

ancient, the people in afriuca have large families because they need more workers in the family, just to survive.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

also, in the colonies tutorial, notice your borders dont expand until u have built a temple.

you'll need cere early.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                      X