• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HERE's the Russian poll...

Who should it be? Tell us!
    Ivan IV, the Terrible
    8.00%
    Ivan V (Peter I's retarded half-brother)
    4.00%
    Peter I, the Great
    50.00%
    Catherine II, the Great
    8.00%
    Alexander II, the Emancipator
    0.00%
    Nicholas II
    0.00%
    Vladimir Lenin
    6.00%
    Josef Stalin
    14.00%
    Mikhail Gorbachev
    2.00%
    Boris Yeltsin (Note: 10% coherency due to vodka)
    8.00%
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Peter the Great.
    Russians named a city after him, and he was a big shot when considering war times, so I'll go for him. Maybe Lenin would qualify too, but he was the boss of the USSR, not Russia.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Perhaps its not "politicly correct" or perhaps he is not the most deserving one but in the spirit of Civ 1 I voted for Stalin.
      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Lenin... despite the fact that Stalin led longer

Catherine the Great would be good for a leader, but I had to choose Lenin, because he was the epitome of the Communist leader of the USSR!

Catherine saved the Jesuit order from destruction, and won a fair amount of wars- but there are too few recent rulers for Civ III.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Peter the Great. He kind of laid the foundation for modern Russia, and built St Petersburg.
          Stalin has too much blood on his hands IMO.
          CSPA

Comment

I foolishly put down Peter the Great in another thread, but the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be Ivan IV, "the Terrible". He basically unified the kingdom of Russia around his principality of Moscow and beat off the tartars, enabling Russia to move South and East to the Urals. Bit of a loony-tunes in his later years (he murdered his own son, and did nasty things to his enemies), but a definite contender. All the other rulers of Russsia after him built upon the empire he created.

My second choice would be Peter the Great, who modernised Russia and defeated the Swedes at Poltava.

Side note: "Ivan the Terrible" is our translation of Ivan Grozny (remember that city in Chechnya?), which means "Ivan the Awe-Inspiring", or "...Terrifying".
            Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
              Peter the Great. He kind of laid the foundation for modern Russia, and built St Petersburg.
              Stalin has too much blood on his hands IMO.
              I'm for Peter, too, but his hands were also quite bloody, though not nearly as bad as Stalin's.
              A on, miatezhnyi, prosit buri,
              Kak budto v buriakh est' pokoi!
              -M. Lermontov, "Parus", 1832

Comment

Originally posted by Miatezhnyi

I'm for Peter, too, but his hands were also quite bloody, though not nearly as bad as Stalin's.
                Is there any leader in the game whose hands are not bloody?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

Is there any leader in the game whose hands are not bloody?
                  I know mine ALWAYS are! Out, damned spot!
                  Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

I chose Ivan the Terrible but you forgot to put Alexander Nevsky.

Comment

Well the front page of the paper this morning described in gory detail how the Vikings founded the Russian state.

So I cast my vote for Erik the Red...

Comment

Not Lenin or Stalin. The Russians deserve more appreciation than that. After all, we don't expect Hitler, Hirohito, Franco or George W. Bush to make an appearance either.
                        Hasdrubal's Home.
                        Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenobi

I know mine ALWAYS are! Out, damned spot!
                          Hehe, well I just remembered that Gandhi was kinda cool....
                          Peter had a knack for hanging dissenters. True European monarch I voted for Uncle Joe, Civ1 fond memories plus I'd rather see his smirk when negotiating with Russians

Comment

Originally posted by Hasdrubal
                            Not Lenin or Stalin. The Russians deserve more appreciation than that. After all, we don't expect Hitler, Hirohito, Franco or George W. Bush to make an appearance either.
                            Well, Franco is better than Asnar or Felipe Gonsales or any other bureucrat . I mean, you should HATE foreign leaders, while you can always change your leader's name.
                            This said, Thatcher should be English leader

Comment

Originally posted by fittstim
                              Well the front page of the paper this morning described in gory detail how the Vikings founded the Russian state.

So I cast my vote for Erik the Red...
                              The Russian state was founded at 860 AC by one of Viking tribes - Varyags . The name of first Russian leader was Rurick . Also first Russian city in the list should be Veliky Novgorod not Moscow.

Regarding the Russian leader in the CivIII, Peter the Great would be the best choice. He converted obsolete country to modern European power.
                              Posting from an economic black hole

Comment

Working...
                              X