How do you like the screenshots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trdi
    Few hours ago I played Civ 1 and it's great. This game really kicks ass.
    Which is why Civ3 had better be revolutionary (in every detail). There's much at stake here, a badly-done sequel will take the veneer off the whole Civ family.
    Art is a science having more than seven variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Recurve
      Which is why Civ3 had better be revolutionary (in every detail). There's much at stake here, a badly-done sequel will take the veneer off the whole Civ family.
      What?

CtP I and II were sequels/offshoots of the series and well they were not well done sequels. Yet did they kill the Civ family?

No, I am still arguing and discussing the series here.

The same goes for some people with SMAC. They didn't like it, I happened to find many of the changes enjoyable and I love the PBEM games that I play with a couple of my friends. But could it kill the series? No.

Sure Civ III failing will hurt TBS, but other series like MoO are evolving in new directions and look to be solid for the third release. EU did really well and a sequel/expansion is in the works with more nations involved to play. Imperialism did well. And of course there is always SM's Colonization to make a sequel of. TBS is still doing well and I for one do not believe that it will die if Civ III is not great.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I absolutely love the overall look. Two problems:

1) Mountains, mountains, mountains. 'Nuff said.

2)WTF is up with the pink/purple civ colouring? Not my cup of tea, although I suppose that it can easily be changed a la units.gif (or something similar)
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
          CtP I and II were sequels/offshoots of the series and well they were not well done sequels. Yet did they kill the Civ family?
          Very nearly.
          Art is a science having more than seven variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Recurve
            Very nearly.
            How?

Civ III was in the planning stages while CtP II was being built.

Meanwhile games such as SMAC and Imperialism were made. The grand EU was released and now a sequel looms. MoO3 was getting started. How did CtP almost kill TBS games?

Look I wish Civ III would be a highly revolutionary game - I after all got bored with Civ II because it was too much like Civ I for my tastes. But that does not mean one bad game will kill the genre or the series. I think the graphics will not help spreading the genre but I don't see TBS future hinging on Civ III, it could help or hurt it but kill it? I just don't think so.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Some of the folks here are being stupidly impractical when it comes to the graphics. Don't they realize how customizable they will be?? For example, alot of Civ2 players use Tim Smith's HiRes "modpack" where every single unit and terrain has been customized. And there are many more examples of this. Even if you love or hate (or just grow bored with) the current Civ3 terrain graphics, you can replace them with something better or different!

Why is this such a hard concept for some to understand?

Comment

As far as your opinion on the graphics, all I can do is say what I've been saying for quite some time, which is that you should wait until the game is released before passing judgment on the graphics. Many of the screenshots floating around the net are *months* old, and we are still in development.

Dan
                'Nuff said
                "Don't know exactly where I am"

Comment

'Nuff said
                  Passing judgements on what we have seen so far is fine. I happen to think what we've seen so far doesn't look too good but that's my opinion. Passing judgements on something we haven't seen (a finished Civ3) shouldn't be done. Unless you're Yin who can see into the future ('My Review of Civ3').

Why is this such a hard concept for some to understand?
                  It is because usually when people pay for something they want a good finished product. Not something that they are going to have to fix if they want it to their liking. It should already be good and to their liking if they paid for it.

It's kind of like if you get your brakes fixed. Lets say you pay $100 to the mechanice for them to get fixed. You think you should have a good finished product. As you're driving home from the car shop, you notice your breaks don't work very well. It's no big deal, though, because when you get home you can fix them yourself. You only paid the mechanice to make you think you got a good product, not to actually get a good product. Is that how you want the game to be? Maybe they should leave you all the work for programming the AI too. You would like that, huh? I mean it's not a problem you can always do it yourself.
                  However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

But that would be true if it was an objective condition (like brakes). Let's say they make a nice looking road through the mountains, would you call that 'finished' or 'complete'? I wouldn't because I may not even like the default mountain terrain, let alone how they run through the terrain. The same for any unit as well. Remember, the initial graphics that showed the Musketeer/Riflemen? Who's to say that (any of the alternatives) is the 'proper' or 'right' one to depict right of the box? Every single graphics for terrain tiles and units are subjective, there can be no right or wrong one. So to say that one represents a finished product just doesn't make any sense at all.

Comment

What I was suggesting is fairly simple. We do know the screenshots so far are disappointing. We also know there have been changes made. We therefore do not know how it looks at the moment. (Okay I'll grant you there probably haven't been wholesale changes, but the point stands.) Picking at lack of polish is something of a moot point.
                      "Don't know exactly where I am"

Comment

hahahahha pink french.

it never gets old.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Steve,

I agree the graphics should be able to be easily customizable. It adds a great touch having a lot of customizability. [Off Topic] In fact right now (past few days) I've been customizing the rules.txt and units.gif, in Civ2MGE, more to my looking. I'm adding new units so I'm actually not fixing anything, I'm only adding graphics. [On Topic] The thing is many people don't want to have to fix that road over the mountain graphic. They want to have these things already done when they first play the game. Not to say that it (road over mountain) will be in Civ3. when it's finished The graphics should be customizable but they should also already look good without customization.

Picking at lack of polish is something of a moot point.
                          What should we rehash the civ specific units thing again? No, so we have to discuss something else. The only new info. (released) we have are screenshots. Which leads us to the conclusion of discussing screenshot graphics.
                          Last edited by TechWins; August 3, 2001, 05:11.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                          X