The Pikeman Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pikeman Problem

In Civ II there were a few 'useless' units such as the Pikeman.
    In Civ III hopefully we won't have to deal with these units.

An indepth look at the Pikeman

+Bonuses versus mounted foes
    However, it is weaker than the Phalanx against other foes in cities.

You can also skip over the Pikeman's tech, Feudalism in the tech tree and research Musketeers instead of Pikemen to guard your cities after Phalanxes.

--
    There are 2 problems here to realize

1. In civ you shouldn't be able to bypass a unit to a unit that does the same thing, but better and replaces the bypassed unit.

2. A unit upgrade should be better than the unit is replacing or else it shouldn't replace a unit.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

The pikeman has the same defensive value as a phalnx (2),& has the 50% bonus vs. movement factor of two. In other word the pikeman is better than the phalnx, just not in every stat
    Civ=pi CivII=pi*d CivCTP=pi*r^2 CivIII=4/3pi*r^3 (hopefully)
    Civ pi= It's coming
    P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

i've said this way too much.

IN ORDER TO ADVANCE TO THE NEXT AGE YOU MUST COMPLETE MOST OF THE CURRENT AGE'S TECH TREE.

so you might actually be forced to use pikemen for a while.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Another problem of this kind is that some units become obsolete before you can build and use them.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

i.e. the Pikeman... Yes, but who here has used the Pikeman's movement bonus?

I didn't know that about the defense, it seemed as if the Pikemen were horrible on defense, however.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Re: The Pikeman Problem

Originally posted by DarkCloud
            There are 2 problems here to realize

1. In civ you shouldn't be able to bypass a unit to a unit that does the same thing, but better and replaces the bypassed unit.

2. A unit upgrade should be better than the unit is replacing or else it shouldn't replace a unit.

1. Why not? Is it so important that one unit must be used before advancing to the next age? Most nations didn't even deploy pikemen, but almost all had an army equipped with firearms of a sort.

2. Pikeman is stronger than both the warrior unit and the phalanx. In addition, the feudalism tech offers STWA, a very useful wonder to warmongers.

My beef with the pikeman and the phalanx is that they should have had a Attack rating of 2, not 1. Easily fixed in the rules.txt.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Pikemen are the units that solved the Civ1 chariot rush. They are great units.

Comment

Pikemen are very good units, far better than warriors or phalanxes. In 2x2x duels feudalism is the first tech I go for after monarchy, you simply can't afford to miss out on the far better defence offered (plus the chance to build Sun Tzu's).

Comment

While I rarely used them, I don't see a problem. (I usually used archers early on and went straight to musketeers)

Comment

They may seem to be worse at defense because they come later in the game and are thus attacked by more advanced units.
                    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

When your enemies strike your cities with horsemen, pikemen make their atacks completely useless.
                      Alex

Comment

Personally I do not believe that there is a "pikeman problem". And that the these sort of units, even if you skip them, add more depth to the game.

I also found the pikeman unit rather functional.
                        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                          Personally I do not believe that there is a "pikeman problem". And that the these sort of units, even if you skip them, add more depth to the game.

I also found the pikeman unit rather functional.

I agree, if you don't like them, don't use them, but they are quite effective against ponies
                          Civ pi= It's coming
                          P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Re: The Pikeman Problem

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                            In Civ II there were a few 'useless' units such as the Pikeman.
                            In Civ III hopefully we won't have to deal with these units.

An indepth look at the Pikeman

+Bonuses versus mounted foes
                            However, it is weaker than the Phalanx against other foes in cities.

You can also skip over the Pikeman's tech, Feudalism in the tech tree and research Musketeers instead of Pikemen to guard your cities after Phalanxes.
                            Are you kidding? I couldn't disagree more!
                            Against non-mounted units Pikemen and Phalanx are equal in all respects.

Historically pikemen do not make sense at all. Essentially they were identical to a phalanx, I'll have to admit that.

But in the game they were excellent units for defense, in my opinion equal to musketeers, AND cheaper!
                            I always was angry when Leonardo changed my bold veteran Pikemen to silly non-veteran Musketeers. It always made border cities more vulnerable to attack and is the main reason I will not bother to build this generally overrated Wonder. The main advantage was that you could disband units and get more shields in return than they did cost in producing.

But how would one defend unwalled (and walled) cities effectively in Medieval times without those excellent Pikemen?
                            Jews have the Torah, Zionists have a State

Comment

Actually I think the pikeman in the game represents new tactics and greater flexibility
                              Civ pi= It's coming
                              P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Working...
                              X