Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than 85% complete & Firaxis still aren't prepared to talk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than 85% complete & Firaxis still aren't prepared to talk...

Sid Meier Says:

We’re working on some unique things with multiplayer, but we’re not ready to start talking about it yet. It has always been challenging to make multiplayer really fun in turn-based games and we’re looking at new ways of approaching that.

New ways of approaching multiplayer? I wonder what they are? Any ideas?
    Alex

Hmm.. interesting he said that. Maybe a major matchmaker (similar to battlenet), or some advanced form of turn movement.

We'll find out soon enough

Comment

Maybe Simultaneous Turns of Play?

See http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum28/HTML/000343.html#5

Comment

who mentioned 85%?
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Well, simulatenous turns are nothing new. I believe they got something absolutely new there.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Asynchronous simultaneous turns are definitely new. We're not talking about the simultaneous turns while directly connected (via LAN or IP) - we're talking about something that's a lot more like PBEM. Click the link above and read the proposal.

Comment

Your right, for sure. Programming nightmare it would be, I think then.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i remember my first simu. moves game. and my last one. infact they were the same one.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

"85% complete and still not ready to talk."

they may be 85% done with the entire game, but they might just be only 10% complete with multiplayer.

and personally, I have know idea what their talking about..."New Multiplayer ideas that we're not ready to talk about."

Comment

How can you remember a simultaneous moves game? We're not talking about CivNet style here....nobody has ever implemented a Civ-style asynchronous simultaneous move game. Did you click the link above and read the proposal?

Comment

None of us know what they're planning to do with multiplayer....it's just that some of us have high hopes for improvements. I'm currently playing in six Alpha Centauri PBEM games - and they've all been running more than a year. I really hope Civ3 has better options!

Comment

I think they're planning to leave MP as an expansion pack. Look at the performance with Civnet and Ultimate civ2.

Comment

one the zone, www.zone.com/civ2multiplayer, people were playing SIMULTANIOUS (sp??) MULTIPLAYER GAMES.

everyone MOVED their units at the same time.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                            I think they're planning to leave MP as an expansion pack. Look at the performance with Civnet and Ultimate civ2.
                            Firaxis wouldn't do this unless they were suicidal. I can say with some certainty that a lot of people here wouldn't buy the game if this were the case. Firaxis has to know this, at least. Plus, they've said that it was included already.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              who mentioned 85%?
                              Someone did.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X