No announcement yet.

Sid says: "Civ III delivers visual realism like never before."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also, when were graphics that important to you? isnt it "gameplay that counts" what a hipocrit.
    "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
      Grow up! Sid Meier isn't a real person. He's a fairytale creature. He's the Santa Claus of computer games.
      Thank you, Gangerolf! Everything makes so much sence now... I feel so childish.
      "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
      "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
      "I think it would be a good idea."
      - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

if after 6 years this is what we get..... yuck....give me civ2 or even SMAC over this garbage
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Age of Mythology graphics really are awesome, as a former ager I keep in touch with this. And BTW, this screenshot isn't the most impressive. If you want some, go to http://aom.heavengames.com and see screens there. Strategy games usually had the worst graphics, I hope this will no longer be the case.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
            if after 6 years this is what we get..... yuck....give me civ2 or even SMAC over this garbage
            wow! does anyone EVER read my posts .so you all think it will ship this way? sure.... you go on blindly following yin, ill play civ3

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              Age of Mythology graphics really are awesome, as a former ager I keep in touch with this. And BTW, this screenshot isn't the most impressive. If you want some, go to http://aom.heavengames.com and see screens there. Strategy games usually had the worst graphics, I hope this will no longer be the case.
              true, AoM has good graphics but A:do you play the graffics or the game B:what does that have to do with civ 3? lets talk about civ not aom

Comment

Just a little observation...

In the interview Sid said "Civ III delivers visual realism like never before" and yet these (hopefully) outdated unrealistic screenshots are shown both on the site with the interview as well as Firaxis' own site. It Seems to me that Sid should have added some comment about the screenshots being old so as to prevent people from worrying that those screenshots might actually represent the "realism" that Sid was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by splangy
                  Aaaaaaaaaaah RUN FOR COVER ITS THE INVASION OF THE SMILEYS

Seriously dude it wasnt THAT funny.
                  "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                  "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by old timer

It Seems to me that Sid should have added some comment about the screenshots being old so as to prevent people from worrying that those screenshots might actually represent the "realism" that Sid was referring to.
                    Unless, of course, these screenshots are accurate (more or less, sans a bit of tweaking)... It is possible that the folks at Firaxis could actuall like the graphics that we are seeing.

It's just a thought, mind you.
                    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
                    "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
                    "I think it would be a good idea."
                    - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Leave

Originally posted by splangy
                      also, when were graphics that important to you? isnt it "gameplay that counts" what a hipocrit.
                      if your so negative splangy, why don't you take your abusive posts elsewhere where no one else has to see them. yin never did anything to you. why don't you just ignore a thread if yin created it. we are constructive pessimists, not barbarians who attack others for having a different point of view!

Comment

The reason that different games like AOM are being discussed in this thread is because that Sid said that Civ3 would the be the height of realism in graphics. Now, we are trying to show that there are other games that have better graphics than the Civ3 screenshots that have been released, one could be optimistic and say that the current graphics for Civ3( the ones we havn't yet seen) are far superior to those what we do.

I think that Civ3's graphics even in comparasion to TBS games, like Europa Universalis, CTP2, CTp and even Tot, doesn't look like a step forward(maybe on the same level as the others but not an advancement).

As for RTS being different from TBS why should the graphics be any different. I think that one could make superp terriand a graphics that would blow AOM out of the water(with translucent oceans and dynamic wave patterens), its just a matter of if they want to do it or not.

Does graphics make the game? Ceritanly not, but ugly games are hard to keep an interst in no matter how well done the rest of the game is.

Comment

Especially to Yin: "waah". All you do is complain that the graphics are going to be lousy in Civ3. Don't you have any optimism inside of you, or were you just born this way? If nothing else, let it rest because by now everyone knows how you feel.

Anyway, I believe that the graphics in Civ3 are going to be really good, if not great. The screenshots that we're seeing are old so I'm sure that there has been updating and tweaking. Besides which, this is Civ, not Quake. I don't need the best, best, best graphics on the market. Yes, they should be good, but it's not the most important thing.
                          The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Originally posted by CivPatriot
                            The reason that different games like AOM are being discussed in this thread is because that Sid said that Civ3 would the be the height of realism in graphics. Now, we are trying to show that there are other games that have better graphics than the Civ3 screenshots that have been released,...
                            Before we go any further with this. I just want to get the facts smooth, I quote this from the interview from Sid;

Meier: Yes! With all of the new and updated systems we’ve put in Civ III (like the enhanced trade system, the new concept of culture, greatly expanded diplomacy, more powerful combat and the most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre
                            notice the last few words, most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre. Thats right, in the genre. and, logically, Age of Mythology is not in the Turn Based Strategy Genre... So please, Keep It In The GENRE!!!
                            "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

I mean come on guys. I can understand being skeptic about stuff.... but now its like you guys are being lazy. Its a known fact that Destruction is easier than Construction... and all you guys can think of is how sucky the graphics look (which has already been brought up by Yin.. infact this is the second time Yin is complaining about graphics with a second post... your starting to repeat yourself!) anyway, try being constructive.... Look at this game, Steel Panthers. I played it, its was fun, graphics sux. I think Civ3's graphics are better than this... even with a defective road.

Aaah pooh, i dont know how to get images up.. and I gotta go to work, no time to fiqure it all out. Anyway to see those horrific screenshots, go to: http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/...98/sp3-02.html

I'm just doing the same thing Yin is..
                              "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

To_Serve_Man, thanks for pointing that out, I failed to see that when I read the article(I skim-read, makes for mistakes like this).

The roads do not bother me as much as some of the colours do. I can live with the roads. The two things that would really improve the graphics whould be to get rid of that pink colour and use flags for the civs instead of colouring part of the units the civ's oclour(that's what the screenshots appear to me to be doing). Those two would be a big help.

But the graphics are better than SMAC! I think that Civ3's graphics will at least be on par with others in the genre, but if they are a major advancement.. I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X