My Review of Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful, RAH!

You managed to make it look as good as I made it look bad. The problem I ran into when trying to do your optimistic version was that for yins, I used the actual game. I couldn't figure out how to do yours and have it the same game. You guys messed me up a bit when you described different games in your reviews.

Oh well. You managed the job for me. Great going!
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

• FB: Glad to be of service! I'm delighted you and Rah stepped up to smack me down.

Rah:
      And the foreign adviser is HOT.
      LOL!!!! Some brilliant stuff!

You guys have taken the art of argument to new levels. Very entertaining. Very enlightening. I don't know about other people, but this series of posts has really proven to me that liking or not liking a game depends SO much on how the individual is willing to forgive certain things. Nicely done, gentlemen.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Takes a bow, but we learned from the master.
        I just hope people find all the reviews entertaining.
        Different strokes for different folks.
        But I must admit, that it was difficult to stay so syrupy.

I'm really trying to get that optimists title
        Point Mark in this direction :rollesyes:

RAH

The real challange will be doing a review on SIDGOLF
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Father Beast

GRAPHICS
          This looks to be the place where Sid and Co. tried the hardest, and failed most miserably. There are several "movies" included, from small wonder films to an animated high council giving bad advice. To a one, these are poorly produced.

hopefully that will give us some perspective,

The movies are spectacular. They should leave them as is for Civ3.

Comment

• The real challange will be doing a review on SIDGOLF
            LOL! Yes, if God wanted to really punish me for past and future sins, he'd force me to write a positive review of Sim Golf. Just the thought made me lose some hair on my head.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26

LOL! Yes, if God wanted to really punish me for past and future sins, he'd force me to write a positive review of Sim Golf. Just the thought made me lose some hair on my head.
              You HAVE hair on your head? I would have thought it all fell out while waiting for civ3 to arrive
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

• What I said:

"Wait, is this even fun or challenging? Does it really add anything to the game?" In a sense, it IS fun--for a while. After all, it takes quite a streamlined economy to support all these buildings, and one begins to feel at times that Civ 3 is a sort of grand Sim City or Tropico.
                What Firaxis said:

By building (and more importantly maintaining) the city improvements that generate culture, you're closing off certain other play styles (like large, offensive military forces).
                So, you'll be building, what? Libraries? Mmmmm, sounds FUN!

This will be an on-going look at how close or far-off my review was. So far, I'm sadly sadly dead on with this culture thing.

Comment

• yeap, let's assume how good our assumptions are....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Markos, the man just said you'll be spending lots and lots and lots of your money on BUILDINGS if you want to do that culture thing. Sound like Sim City instead of a war game? Now, I fully realize Civ was "never meant to be" a war game, so the 'fix' is to let you just plaster up building after building after building.

Fun, eh Markos?

Comment

• the sim city series has sold much more than the entire civ genre in the last years....

beyond that, it is an interpration of yours that Jeff's quote means that civ3 will be a "sim city". therefore, i think i'm right when i talk about assumptions

Comment

• the sim city series has sold much more than the entire civ genre in the last years....
                        I know. Sim Meier told me.

it is an interpration of yours that Jeff's quote means that civ3 will be a "sim city".
                        O.K. A "Build-lots-and-lots-of-buildings-instead-of-units City." Thanks for helping me clarify.

Comment

• so you agree that this all about interpration on a part of the picture titled "civ3", and basically has no value at all

Comment

• What about a Civ 3 strategy guide from the screenshots ?
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• That's easy: Do exactly what you did in Civ2, unless you want to be REALLY bored, in which case build tons and tons and tons and tons of buildings. That will be $8, Solver.

Comment

• well the sim games have out sold the civ games for an obvious reason. They have actually had good games. In my opinion the last good civ game was Civ 2. i have never played Call to power I or II. I didn't buy it because it didn't look all that great. I did play SMAC and thought it sucked compared to Civ 2. i mean it was fun for the first two or three times through but got very boring very quickly. That is all i can think of for Civ style games. now for the sim side they have released The sim's, sim city 3000 and sim city 2000 might have even been out after civ 2. So obviously they would sell more because the sim's was a good game that was actually fun to play and sim city 2000 wasn't bad. I dunno about 3000 never played it
                                Last edited by Beckdawg; July 29, 2001, 17:09.
                                "If peeping your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis" - Billy Madison
                                "i know there was something i was supposed to do today..... Drink 5 daiquiris.... No u did that" -Billy Madison
                                "just call me santa with a pissed off attitutde" - ME
                                AIM is beckdawg83 and MSN is beckdawg83@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X