No announcement yet.

My Review of Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...boycotting Civ3 would be a good idea...maybe they'd wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by death_head
      Wow...boycotting Civ3 would be a good idea...maybe they'd wake up.

Wake up folks. A boycott of the game by everyone that has ever posted at apolyton wouldn't do squat. The game needs mass appeal to be successful. Apolyton is not the masses by any stretch of the imagination. You'd be better off fearing that they make the game catered to our suggestions here, which whould screw the game up so bad that it would have no appeal outside the couple of hundred people that post here.

RAH
      After all the previous enjoyment that I've gotten out of this series, they'll get my money the first day, kinda like interest. Hopefully it will be another good investment. But if not, I won't lose any sleep over the money, just the missed opportunity to play another great game.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by splangy

whats so god damned funny about it, do you have a problom with me expressing my positive (gee what a change!) beleifs? becouse if you do just tell me.
        Splangy, I will not use the same kind of language you use, because my mother raised me better than that. But Yin was absolutely right about saying you shouldn't quote his entire post. There was no point in doing that.

And if you continue using that kind of talk we will take measures!
        :banned:
        Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
        If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
        "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

And the same goes for vonManstein!
          Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
          If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
          "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Give Yin a break!!!

Will people please give yin a break?

The way i read his post, it is not a forecast that everything bad WILL happen - rather it is a warning of what CAN happen if the came is not sufficiently tested, and in particular it makes a case for a public beta. Many ideas that sound great could come out pretty bad in actual play, and it is not possible to ascertain this without actual play, ideally play by people who have not worked on the game and who are not biased by a sense of how things "are supposed" to work. in other words, a public beta.

Im not convinced that lack of a public beta necessarily means a disaster, but Yin has made a very good case to show how it could be. For that he should be commended.

LOTM
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

LOTM: I appreciate your understanding the point behind my 'nightmare scenario.' As I have said elsewhere, a small group of programmers, no matter how talented, could NEVER hope to create the kind of Civ 3 we are looking for. However, that group of programmers and a significant number of the public working in close cooperation COULD. To my knowledge, though, we have heard absolutely NOTHING about a beta of any kind.

Quite frankly, a Civ 3 without a focussed and deeply committed beta WILL fail. Sorry. It's just the truth. I think you realized exactly what I am trying to say on this point. Thanks again.

RAH: I don't know about more entertaining, since the game you describe sounds awfully good.
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Alas, a man can only dream when it is dark. The light brings reality, and you are the rising sun.

I dream that you are wrong, but my brain seeks the light.

RAH
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wait a minute, you mean that I should not have pre-ordered the game from Software Etc. That alright because Electronic Boutique is just 30 miles from here on Interstate 80 at the Hilltop Mall in Richmond, CA. and I can pick up another copies there. Yes guy I have two copies of Civ 2, plus MPG, so I made buy two copies of Civ 3.

Comment

Yin, if you do not buy Civ 3 look in your rear view mirror.
                    Attached Files

Comment

LOL! That's awesome! O.K. O.K. Where can I pre-order!??!
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
                        And the same goes for vonManstein!
                        I stand by my massive quote!
                        I have no signature.
                        -Bob Dole

Comment

huh?

Originally posted by campmajor!

Splangy, I will not use the same kind of language you use, because my mother raised me better than that. But Yin was absolutely right about saying you shouldn't quote his entire post. There was no point in doing that.

And if you continue using that kind of talk we will take measures!
                          :banned:
                          my mother raised me just fine and what goes on in my private life is non of your buiseness! i fixed one post and the other is long forgotten. and if you never heard the word damn before than you family must have been pretty screwed up.
                          (dont make fun of my family if you dont want to be made fun of yourself!! and why would you ban me? plenty of people say damn. but not many people insult others family's
                          "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Splangy:

Since you asked me before if I have a problem with your expressing your views, I should say: Absolutely not. If fact, I welcome it when people disagree with me since we both might learn something from each other. The only thing that I ask is that it be a civil conversation that doesn't make the thread itself a nuisance for other people who want to participate.

When you quoted my entire, LONG post like that, it made the thread (on that page, anyway) rather irritating. In fact, you mentioned being irritating was one of your goals by doing that. However, you changed it back, I think. Thanks.

As for being irritating in general, I think there are "preferred" methods for doing it, if that doesn't sound too ironic. Sure, you can be irritating by quoting a long post needlessly or by posting 1,000 smilies, etc., but those don't reflect well on a person's intelligence all that much. HOWEVER, if you can, for example, de-construct my post point by point calmly, logically and lucidly showing that (from your point of view) I'm a moron, well then you'd have the praise of many poster here at Apolyton, I assure you.

Heck, even I'd give you props!

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                              Splangy:

Since you asked me before if I have a problem with your expressing your views, I should say: Absolutely not. If fact, I welcome it when people disagree with me since we both might learn something from each other. The only thing that I ask is that it be a civil conversation that doesn't make the thread itself a nuisance for other people who want to participate.
                              i want that to and i am simply joking around and then for no reason people get hostile with me. they dont say "please dont post that long a quote" they say "wow, your a loser" and i have yet to say any thing nasty.

about sharing ideas, im very positive about how the game will turn out and your (awkwardly ) VERY negative . haven't you waited a long time for it? i beleive it will be Quite good. i agree that we should post about problems that may happen so firaxis may look at them but i thought that your story pointed all the bad stuff that we haven't even heard about out. what angers me about firaxis is that they are so slow with information that we have nothing to speculate from!
                              "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

care to comment on this yin :

CyberShy: hmmmmmm thinking about it again....
                                yin, you've been in contact with Firaxis much, aren't you.
                                pherhaps they've asked you to spread some negative feelings around this game so the expectations wouldn't grow too high.... didn't they ?

they learned from the hyped smac, and for sure CtP lanches....

hmmmm, clever company, clever yin.
                                how much will I get for giving you more opportunities to voice your negative opinion
                                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                                X