No announcement yet.

My Review of Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yin, unless you had the privilege to really play civ3 instead of dreaming about it, don't you think it's a little premature to post a review on it?

This week of silence must have been hard on you. You probably used all your frustration caused by not-posting on Poly to write this masterpiece.

Though I think this post was premature, it must admit it is thorough. If you would just wait till the release and then post such a review I would be impressed!
    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

I beg your pardon sir, credit for what?
      Actually my post was a message for MarkG, but not private, because I want him to answer in a way that will please the public .
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Great review, but I am missing something.

Where is multiplaying ?
        veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

EVC, Alexander's Horse, Sir David
          ...and Yin? Something is wrong. Terribly wrong...

Cyber:

Face it, I am your evil twin. I speak your deepest, most suppressed thoughts...and then Jeje and Adm.Naismith polish them up and make sense out of them. Together, we are the Evil Quadratic Equation. You might fight membership, but you are one of us, Dark Child. One...of...the...*UNBelievers!*

Yin, unless you had the privilege to really play civ3 instead of dreaming about it, don't you think it's a little premature to post a review on it?
          I am free from the bonds of time that keep mere mortals horribly trapped in the "Now." How do you think I predicted Sim-Golf? Why, I played it TWO Octobers ago (what YOU might have called 'two Octobers ago,' that is) and visited Sid in a dream. I said "DON'T make Sim Golf." Unfortunately, he was dreaming about one day seeing a site update and only heard: "MAKE Sim Golf." By the time I realized the error, I discovered I'd have to go back to the past of a past the wasn't meant to be the future unless the present had been left alone to the natural progression of a past that I had already let pass according to my own vision of a future based on a present that I had hoped would be changed by my passed actions. In other words, I let it slide.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Great review, but I am missing something.

Where is multiplaying ?
            Yes, I realize I need to go back and add that. Any helpful ideas for how MP could go horribly wrong?
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Face it, I am your evil twin. I speak your deepest, most suppressed thoughts...and then Jeje and Adm.Naismith polish them up and make sense out of them. Together, we are the Evil Quadratic Equation. You might fight membership, but you are one of us, Dark Child. One...of...the...*UNBelievers!*
              Hmmmmm........
              Markos, can you make me President of the Official Apolyton Optimistic Civers Club (OfAOpCiClu) ?

Otherwise Yin's evil forces will continue and try to make me one
              of them
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                Wait Yin! What Evil Quadratic Equation I should be part of?

I'm a kind and sweet father of two, I can't be part of any "Evil" thing, you know 0:-)

Don't mentioning mathematics was my most hated schoolastic discipline, more years ago then I like to remember...

"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Yin's club is breaking in pieces

Comment

Don't worry. Adm.Naismith is just trying to lull you into a false sense of security. The man is a math GENIUS, as we all know...in fact, he predicted to the second how long it would take to make you a full member of the E4.

Comment

Apart from the fact that Yin's review was plain amusing to read, I think it was constructive. It appears to me that Yin thought out really well what could go wrong with the new features and signals on what to pay attention on. (maybe you should send it to Firaxis?)

Better write something like this before the game is finished than after, when the damage is already done.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Better write something like this before the game is finished than after, when the damage is already done.
                        With tears in my eyes, I thank that man. Just when I am ready to pack up my bags and quit this whole "Yin-thang," Colon comes along and expresses perfectly my motives. By the way, mailing this to Firaxis would only ensure an early release.

O.K. Multiplayer section has been added to the bottom of the review. It was a stunning turn of events, actually. I'm curious if you guys buy their official reply?

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                          Apart from the fact that Yin's review was plain amusing to read, I think it was constructive. It appears to me that Yin thought out really well what could go wrong with the new features and signals on what to pay attention on. (maybe you should send it to Firaxis?)

Exactly my point. I agree that sometime too much early criticism on Civ III is disturbing, and not every day I can take it with lightheart.

That said, Firaxis Team can freely post its point of view, and without give away industrial secrets, tell us with all the facts and figures they surely have why Yin and every one else have wrong negative feel.

"Game development is going all well" is hardly a more credible post than Yin fantasy preview; but a complete vacuum can't do anything to help any fan to breath optimism...
                          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

good you added that part to the bottom.
                            it makes the preview look even more silly
                            Otherwise I would be afraid people would take it for serious.....

Colon, I think critics are allways ok, but yin isn't voicing criticism, he's just......... hmmmm........ crying like a baby.
                            Critics come after you actually play the game. How can you voice an opinion about something you haven't seen or played or whatever ? It makes no sence.

I am ready to pack up my bags and quit this whole "Yin-thang,"
                            please do quit it.
                            All you're creating is a negative environment around civ3 !
                            If a game gets a negative image it's hard to get rid of it.
                            Like CtP2 couldn't do any good after CtP's release.

Eventhough I respect your opinion I very disrespect the very overhyped way you make civ3 look like a moron of a game.

Comment

Game development is going all well" is hardly a more credible post than Yin fantasy preview; but a complete vacuum can't do anything to help any fan to breath optimism...
                              Firaxis is a professional company, they're not forum-kiddies that lurk around here all day to provide 1% of their possible customers with useless information like "Developing is going great" etc. etc.

Of course from our point of view that's very valuable information. To them and 99% of their customers it's a waste of time they could spend on civ3 developing.

Comment

Yes, I took a more obviously joking tone in the multiplayer part in case people (like?) can't see the satire. Colon and others understand it perfectly, however. EVERYTHING I have said in there is quite possibly going to happen (except for the 'multi-layer' thing, which is just plain funny ). How do I know? Because Firaxis has done absolutely NOTHING to make sure we know any details to the contrary. But I guess I'd better state this boring thing again:

YIN DISCLAIMER:

"I, Yin, being of sound mind and body, hereby publically state that I hope Civ 3 is the best damn game ever, and I hope that more people come to realize that my criticisms are meant to poke fun at our situation, which currently is one of being left absolutely in the dark about a bunch of features that, while promising, promise just as many opportunities for disaster...a disaster that the gaming community itself might help to avoid IF it were ever consulted. That is all."

Should I put that in my signature?

Comment

Working...
                                X