Will you purchase MOO3 or Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it is worth purchasing

I hope Moo3 is worth purchasing, and I hope they keep the very nice ship graphics. I still love those glowing ablative shields.

What I hope they don't do is replicace SSI's very boring RTS (reach for the stars). I played it once and deleated the program.

One of the things that could definitly improved is the planets. Something like Deadlock II 's production structure building and resurce generations would be very very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by markusf
      Anyone here have moo2? I would like to try it multiplayer sometime. I love the special races\bonus's
      Unfortunately you can only play in on a LAN. It doesn't support TCP/IP over the Internet.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by markusf
        Anyone here have moo2? I would like to try it multiplayer sometime. I love the special races\bonus's
        Go to www.kali.net and explore, including the MoO2 league, here:

When I get back a connection to the Internet at home, I'll try to play MoO2 with you too. And those life-time 20$ registration are worth it!
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Warm Beer
          But from what I have seen, Moo3 seems to be making innovation in a positive direction, still keeping to some basic gaming principles (yes I know many of their chainges are quite controversial).
          Ah, yes but in the previews Black and White also seemed to be headed in the right direction. No one told us that it simply would not be fun.

Civ3, on the other hand, seems to be focused on mainly improving on the previous Civ series ideas as opposed to making an entirely different game that's inspired by the earlier titles.. not that that is a bad thing. But, what do we really know about Civ3 at this point? Not to beat a dead horse or anything....
          And here lies the problem for all sequels. If you make it too new with too many features and advancements do your fans complain? MoO3 fans have had both positive and negative things to say about the new additions. In the end it will come down to whether or not they all fit together for a good game.

Meanwhile, Firaxis is doing some new things for the civ series while staying with the same basic look and design. Many people, including myself, think it is not enough. That it will not keep us interested because we long ago stopped playing Civ I and that it will not be enough for the future generations to be taken into the genre. So then the question becomes have you not done enough with the game? I guess only time will tell...
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

My gut reaction would be to say, "Hell, yes, I'm purchasing both games as soon as they hit the shelves." And, a couple of years ago, I would then have proceeded to do so.

However, looking back over the past few years, I have blown a significant amount of money on games I wound up playing for an hour and then abandoning. Now, both Civ and MOO have good track records. Furthermore, most of us are quite excited about the implementation of certain features to make the games more challenging and immersive experiences. I really hope everything pans out.

But, sometimes it doesn't. Some games, even games from quality designers, suck raw alligator. And there is enough concern about the designers ability to adequately implement and balance these prospective features that I feel I should err on the side of caution and wait to hear feedback from reviewers, fans, and the general public.

So, my feelings are this: I will wait for reviews, but will, in all probability, wind up buying both games. The real question is: will I buy a quality game for $50 from CompUSA, or wait several months and purchase a less-than-stellar game for $15 on eBay?

It's up to Firaxis and Quicksilver which action I take.

Comment

tniem: Yes, quite true... am suddenly reminded of one of they reasons why I enjoy the genre, the fans tend to be even-headed and thoughfull.

I have to admit the major (actually, one of the major) reasons I am up on Moo3 so much is the excellent PR job done on the official sight... I mean the Head designer and art team actually come out of thier Ivory Towers to chat about the game, almost daily even Of course, I understand that since Quicksilver is radically changing many game elements (the above discussed "innovations") and a lot of that communication is damage control (early-on on the official boards they had to calm down the pitch-fork and torch wielding mob that formed after the mention of IFPs and RTS) but, I think now they enjoy the disscussion with the community and bouncing ideas off the fans to see initial reaction. They do this, I must add, without giving away many of the suprizes that they have in store for the game.

Now I wish I could say the same about Civ3, but I understand that releasing this title is almost lile "Money in the bank" and different companies have different PR strategies (we could look to B&W's Lionhead as an example of "not-so-good", but that is a discussion for a different board). I am not trying to dog Firaxis at all, but in all fairness we (the community) can only pre-examine the game with what we know...

Sorry for the length... don't mean to seem like:
              (I managed to use my 2 favorite smilies in this post, groovy)
              "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
              "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
              "I think it would be a good idea."
              - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Originally posted by Warm Beer
                I have to admit the major (actually, one of the major) reasons I am up on Moo3 so much is the excellent PR job done on the official sight... I mean the Head designer and art team actually come out of thier Ivory Towers to chat about the game, almost daily even
                And where do they go to chat? Where can I "meet" them?
                "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
                  And where do they go to chat? Where can I "meet" them?
                  Go to the game site, http://moo3.quicksilver.com, go to the discussion boards (you might have to register), and cick on "Chat" at the top-left of the screen. See if this link takes you there: http://www.delphi.com/n/main.asp?web...ion3&nav=start.

Last time I checked the main guy was Alan Emrich.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

And you'd be correct, as a matter of fact, Mr Emrich recently dropped some info on the economic model for Moo3... and answered questions and clairified some things, as opposed to something like "Here's some info. Later, Dudes."

The board is neat, due to the info on it... but the interface is not as user friendly as Alpolyton.
                    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
                    "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
                    "I think it would be a good idea."
                    - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Question

Who can I speak to about designing a nice poll interface? I have a question for the Alt. Civs forum, and a concomitant poll would be peachy-keen. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by technophile

Go to the game site, http://moo3.quicksilver.com, go to the discussion boards (you might have to register), and cick on "Chat" at the top-left of the screen. See if this link takes you there: http://www.delphi.com/n/main.asp?web...ion3&nav=start.

Man, I talked to THE Alan Emrich! Cool!!

Thanks, man! Very much!

Too bad I didn't make it to sid meier's golf presentation...

Comment

The difference between MoO 3 and Civ 3 is while Sid is bordering on being a legendary game designer, none of the people on the Quicksilver team has a positive track record.

Another thing is I certainly hope the computer players in MoO 3 are going to cheat less than their MoO 2 counterparts, which are the worst cheaters I have ever seen.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Civ2 is hardly a glowing example of a game where the AI plays by the rules.

I'm amazed you took the time to research the CV's of the whole Quicksilver team. Personally I've been very impressed with all the articles Alan Emrich has written in the last two years. Whether he has been part of a successful games team in the past or not (I thought he had..) his approach to design and development of a strategy game seems rock solid.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Not really, it's just that none of their names rings a bell

Game design in theory and in practice are very different. Writing articles is one thing, actually developing a good game is quite another. There are a lot of snags a theorist won't know until he rolls up his sleeves.

I have been working on a game in the past five years in my spare time, on and off. We (some friends and I) had worked on a couple of RPG's and a couple of boardgames. It's not easy to get a clean and elegant system that works. It's far too easy to add unnecessary details that only bogs down the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                                It's far too easy to add unnecessary details that only bogs down the game.
                                I quit on my game when I realized that the rules to determine the hunger level of your character were over fifteen pages long. Pleh.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X