Great Wall is way too powerful: change it like this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Wall is way too powerful: change it like this

Make it so Great Wall puts walls in all your cities BUT these walls are just normal walls that you can sell or can be brought down by sabotage.

In multiplayer against good opponents, building GW is game over. See this thread for details:

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

In Civ 3, you will be abel to actually place the Great Wall on to the map. The Great Wall will physicly stretch on the outside of several of your cities keeping civs away from your cities.

Source: Civ Fanatics

P.s: This will also apply to the Great Canal.
    Alex

Comment

so does that mean you no longer get walls in each city, hmm interestign concept,, seems to me that GW wont be as valuable as itused to be if it only covers a few citys , just walk around the wall as in WW2 Maginot line
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

If the Wall will be coast-to-coast, you must go around it by sea, I suppose.
        I have no idea if it will enhance the owner defense in some other way. I agree it seems a main twist over Civ II Wonder feature. Let's hope it doesn't look floating over mountain as roads an rivers do in available screenshots
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Yet more mindless "improvements" from the Horse.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You should multiplay UR

I would love to make your civ bendover

Actually this thread was a minor troll on my Mp friends, who happen to be amongst the best civ players in the world.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

thanks Horse ... oh !! you werent talking about me >???
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I quite like the idea of the Great Wall and the fact that it will significantly hinder civs trying to cross it...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In civ2, emissaries hesitate to declare war because of the Great Wall even after it expires!
                  "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                  "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Horse.....would the walls move forward with the increasing size of your empire? after all, China's borders have changed significantly over the years
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

My problem with the Great Wall being used to keep enemies out is that the actual wall was found nearly impossible to do so.

The wall was so long that it was impossible for the Chinese empires to keep a large enough force on the wall to keep invaders out. Not only that since the wall is not complete, an invading army could simply walk around it.

I have heard that the practical use for the wall was to keep invaders in China. What would happen is if an invader lost a battle or even if he won and was returning home with bounty, a Chinese army could chase him down and catch him at the wall. At this point the army would have to turn and fight. Thus the wall kept people from invading based on the idea if you lost the battle you would have to fight again at the wall. Not necessarily something you wanted to do. And as such the Wall's forced peace treaties may not be that bad of a reward.
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

How about...

... making it possible to destoy anothers Secrect projets?
                        This way you just blow it off the map (and commit an atrocity)

It would be very interesting when one has to also protect the pyramids or the great Buddha statues.

Comment

The main purpose of the Wall was to keep the people from leaving China, the fact that it could help militarily as well was secondary by design.

JeJe.... for blowing up secret projects , i am all for it but it better have an effect on the culture and not just on your rep
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Hey is that a joke? Either way its damn funny.
                            Alex

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                              My problem with the Great Wall being used to keep enemies out is that the actual wall was found nearly impossible to do so.

The wall was so long that it was impossible for the Chinese empires to keep a large enough force on the wall to keep invaders out. Not only that since the wall is not complete, an invading army could simply walk around it.

I have heard that the practical use for the wall was to keep invaders in China. What would happen is if an invader lost a battle or even if he won and was returning home with bounty, a Chinese army could chase him down and catch him at the wall. At this point the army would have to turn and fight. Thus the wall kept people from invading based on the idea if you lost the battle you would have to fight again at the wall. Not necessarily something you wanted to do. And as such the Wall's forced peace treaties may not be that bad of a reward.

It's impossible for any invader to walk around Great Wall, because it stretchs from the east coast all the way to the very west end of China.
                              Great Wall was built to keep invaders out, not in. no doubt about that.
                              ==========================
                              www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X