No announcement yet.

About manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember how was I playing DOOM. I had the list of all secrets near me, and read it for the next level. When I approached the place, I put my nose in the papers, and dif whatever needed to get the secret.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
      You missed the option I would pick:

I buy the game and read the start of the manual travelling home and while installing the game. Then I play the tutorial. Finally I start a proper game and dip into the manual whenever something crops up that the tutorial has not properly covered. Eventually I will have read it all, but usually over the course of several games and not usually in sequential order.
      Mostly the same of my approach. Only I usually read all the manual before the end of my first full game. Tutorial can or cannot be my first game: usually tutorials are first choice if it's a completely new game for me. For sequels or "clone" game usually I skip the tutorial, or I browse it later, just in case I miss anything.
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
        I can't take the civilopedia to the toilet.
        Originally posted by ADG
        Yes you can, if you have a laptop (Isn't that the name, can't remember)
        Well, I have a notebook, but I never used to bring with me in rest room/toilet/bathroom

I commute by train every working day, so I used to play SMAC (and others games) during my voyage. Sometime I played while eating, but only when my wife and sons aren't around at home
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I used to get through a phenomenal number of bowls of cornflakes when playing civ

For when civ3 comes out, I am considering having the fridge moved next to the computer desk Failing that, to just go on an intravenous drip, with a bit of caffeine in there as well
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

game s are the most fun when you learn by playing.

that is how i started Civ1 and it was the most fun... it took until civ 2 until I got to know what are all these options for.

With a good manual ame isn't fun anymore after a few times.

You have to learn slowly to get the most out of the game, and I presume the satisfaction of beating mighty AI is therefore greater.

I think that one of my mosyt satisfying games was when I managed to win as warlord in CIV1 the first time.

That was the most fun. Since I struggled for a long time and the win was almost like Ivanisevic winning Wimbeldon
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I usually do what Grumbold does. I also once pulled a Provost with Railroad Tycoon (no manual)

Of course, I'm talking about normal games with interfaces that can be used by humans.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

As the voice of the environment (see Global Warming post), might I suggest a much better Civilopedia AND the manual as an Acrobat file (along with an Acrobat reader) on the CD rom and NO PAPER MANUAL. This will cut down on costs and the result should be a reduced cost for the players.

Another reason I'm pushing for no included manual is that 99% of CivIII players will be vetern CivII players and won't need to read any thick tome. I played CivI for about 1.5 years before discovering CivII. I don't think I ever more than browsed through the CivII manual because I pretty much already knew everything (or at least I thought I did...).

Comment

Yeah, paper doesn't grow on trees ya' know!
                  Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                  http://john.jfreaks.com
                  -The Artist Within-

Comment

Originally posted by JMarks
                    Yeah, paper doesn't grow on trees ya' know!
                    Exactly, you must cut trees to produce paper, you know

Of course trees grow... but slower than the use of printed papers
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Your probably right, though I would like to see the statistics of trees 'reaching age' and 'just starting to grow' (as opposed to trees planted by industry, though you can throw that one in two, just as long as it doesn't replace the former two) to trees cut down. That would be an intersting statistic to see. Fittstim, know where to find them? You are basing this fact, right?

Ioanes
                      Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                      http://john.jfreaks.com
                      -The Artist Within-

Comment

I usually flip through the manual while the game is installing. . then go play for a little while (few hours). . and THEN read the manual cover to cover.
                        -connorkimbro
                        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                          I like to first play the game by trial and error. I don't actually start to read the manual until I get fairly good at the game. I start to read the manual then for small little details of information. If the manual doesn't offer me the small little details of info, I could care less about the manual.
                          This also the way I play. When in trouble read the manual. However I almost always buy the Strategies Guides.
                          NoteThe Guides for CTP 1 & 2 are a waste of money) The Guides for Civ 1, 2, & SMAC very good.

Comment

I remember reading a good part of the civ2 manual on the way home after I had just bought the game. However I now drive, so that option isn't really feasible.

Well I learnt civ in it's entirety without a manual or anything. I like to figure things out from the beginning without this kind of help, except for some of the basic rules and aims and how to do certain things.

I just like to get stuck in with minimal assistance, apart from what is a necessity. But as you get more advanced, it is good to have a very detailed manual for reference...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Civilization II is about the ONLY game I have ever read the manual through before I played it. In many games I either go through a tutorial or just jump right in.

However, I had to go on a trip not long after I got Civ 2, so I took the manual with me. I read through just about everthing in it. It kept me pretty occupied.
                              And one thing I think it really did, as some one else mentioned, it made me a lot more excited about the game.

Comment

Manuals are very important. Some of my favorite games are the ones with the long manuals (Civ2, Baldur's Gate, BG II, Fallout, Fallout 2).

It should be interesting and detail some strategies and hints as well as interesting information, etc.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X