About manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About manuals

Just curious, but how many actually reads the manual to a game?
    The first thing I do when I get a game is to read the manual
    46.00%
    I do read most manuals, but not before I have played the game
    40.00%
    I seldom reads the manuals
    6.00%
    Manuals, who need that when you learn by playing
    8.00%
    This space is empty... or is it?

The more complex the game, the more important the manual. Since Civ 3 promises to be rather complex, I would play on a low skill level and smaller map while thumbing through the manual. Once I finished a quick game having tried the interface, etc., I'd start to study the parts that are still confusing me, ignoring things I haven't really gotten to yet...perhaps the subtleties of 'cultural influence' or things of that sort.

Having said that, if the manual does not explain in detail how various aspects work, or failing that if the website doesn't offer that information, I'll give a few tries to figure out the mechanics myself. If it still doesn't make sense, I have a decision to make: Does it really effect that game all that much?

Consider Europa Universalis. By most measures, an outstanding game but one so needlessly setback by its horribly vague manual that it became a real chore to learn the ins and outs of the game.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Well, I read the manuals before the game, and often there's some excellent reasoning behind it - for example, I get the games on a vacation, before I'm able to get the PC, so I read the manuals. Next, I know how to play each game, at least I can understand quickly, but by giving several hours to the manual and foldouts, I can understand each and every aspect. Plus, manuals like ones from Civ I and SMAC are so fat that you start to respect the game.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I always read the manual first, because,
        A, its fun and
        B, to get the most out of the game I need to know what is going on.

Besides, its always a good read when I have to wait to get a sibling off the computer.

Exceptions are as follows:
        A. I already know the game
        B. The manual is on the computer. (Ick)

Hey, someone make another poll! If you had to choose, would you prefere the manual in paper, or on the disk.

Ioanes
        Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
        http://john.jfreaks.com
        -The Artist Within-

Comment

Originally posted by JMarks

Besides, its always a good read when I have to wait to get a sibling off the computer.
          "It's always a good read"? How I just hate reading!

Originally posted by JMarks

Hey, someone make another poll! If you had to choose, would you prefere the manual in paper, or on the disk.
          You do that!

Comment

You missed the option I would pick:

I buy the game and read the start of the manual travelling home and while installing the game. Then I play the tutorial. Finally I start a proper game and dip into the manual whenever something crops up that the tutorial has not properly covered. Eventually I will have read it all, but usually over the course of several games and not usually in sequential order.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

I don't read the manual per se but I consult it if necessary. If a feature of a game confuses me, the manual usually helps, but I am really a fan by trial and error.
              "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I like to first play the game by trial and error. I don't actually start to read the manual until I get fairly good at the game. I start to read the manual then for small little details of information. If the manual doesn't offer me the small little details of info, I could care less about the manual.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

The Civilopedia was enough for me in Civ2. I don't see why it shouldn't be in Civ3.
                  "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                  "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

The Civilopedia was enough for me in Civ2. I don't see why it shouldn't be in Civ3.
                    The Civilopedia was helpful but it didn't provide a lot of information. I would like to have both for Civ3.
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Wish the civ 3 civilopedia would be searchable, just like Great Library in CtP II.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I can't take the civilopedia to the toilet.
                        Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

Yeah, the civilopedia was great. I didn't use it that much in Civ 1 - 2, I first got used to it in CTP II (Little late, but I was to ocupied playing the game )

I just hope it will be much better than the one in CTP II, and there should also be a tap for single words, cuz in CTP II there was a few words I didn't know...And guess what, the word book had also trouble with those words, eather it couldn't find the word or the word ment thousands of other words

Comment

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
                            I can't take the civilopedia to the toilet.
                            Yes you can, if you have a laptop (Isn't that the name, can't remember)

Comment

I generally just wade in and start playing the game. I learnt how to play civ the hard way with no manual whatsoever (I copied the game , well on the ST, but bought it for the PC when I first got one). Now I generally play the game with the manual at hand and other online resources. I have a flick through if there is something that is not clear. I am not new to the genre so it should be a gentle introduction with me getting used to new concepts and ideas but should be used to the core of the game.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X