Quality Level of music in computer games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uncle_funk
    heh, pretty hard to play Civ3 without a CD-player, don't you think?
    You're right, guess I forgot to say that I'm not talking about the CD drive in the PC, but about the CD player somewhere else in the room, connected to those huge speakers standing right behind you

Of cause some people just use the DVD player (The one right under the TV ) to play music with

I couldn't care less about the game music (Except when it's imposible to kill the music), I don't want to hear some boring music, which doesn't make the gameplay any better (and they never do), I prefer to hear great music from a radio channel or from winamp, everything is just annoying
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Nah, they should just distribute Civ3 on 3.5" or 5.25" floppies, like the good old days

I enjoyed the Colonization syle of music. There were a number of different tracks for different parts of the game (peace, war, revolution). Perhaps, as was suggested before, there could be this kind of dynamic music in each period. That is, in ancient times, have a few tracks for war music, some for peace, diplomacy, etc. Even better would be the music for each nation, a la civ1
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

yep, alot of this ideas can be find in the thread "and what about the music...".

the colonization music kicked ass! especially thad sad, inca-style song. you almost got bad conscience for plundring the poor indians

but just get rid of the congo drums in the intro and i'm satisfied...

Comment

Of course...if the music is good, that's a plus, but generally I pay little attention to the music...sometimes I even switch it off...

Comment

The arguement that I have against having no music/playing mp3s instead is that when I run my Mp3 player (I use Winamp.. so this may not be true will all of them) all the other noises on my computer are muted. In games were sounds can be warnings and cues for something, having Winamp playing in the backround is annoying. However. I can see the advantages of having a mp3 player. You could just download your own music (like classical and whatever) and make your own sound track for Civ. But I dont like that idea. Instead, I would like some good music. I voted the second choice, the Good quality, but not music that could be sold on its own cd for $18 at the local mall. The reason is mostly cause I would like good music with no game delay

Chit Unky Funky, I forgot about the Colonization music! I'm loading that game in now! I liked the one with the Fiddles or something... it was the intro song too... Thats some nice music
            "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

I listen to rock mostly,not Limp Bizkit but like..Depeche Mode,U2,Creed,Lifehouse,Dave matthews and other nads like that.Limp Bizkit kinda ventures over into the metal alternative then rock since its so angry and loud.

Aside from my love of music,I don't care myself.I always muted civ 2 cuz the music annoys me to death.I don't care if they make the music really crappy personally,that would mean a sooner release date without any sacrifice to gameplay.

BTw,the Wipeout Series by Psygnosis has THE best soundtrack,people go to the mall just to buy that soundtrack.I can't wait for Wipeout 4-5 on the PSO2 so I can play it at Circuit city..;(
              "Battle is a combination of all your skills,therefore,to be excellent at battle is to be excellent at life"-Me

Comment

Aside from my love of music,I don't care myself.I always muted civ 2 cuz the music annoys me to death.I don't care if they make the music really crappy personally,that would mean a sooner release date without any sacrifice to gameplay.
                Same here. I just listen to my music on Napster and my cd's. I was able to do those two things on Civ2 so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to do so in Civ3.

Limp Bizkit kinda ventures over into the metal alternative then rock since its so angry and loud.
                Ok, Limp Bizkit isn''t metal alternative or whatever that is. It's more less Metal Rap with a Pop music touch to it. Not that I like Limp Bizkit or anything. I listen to Metallica, AC DC, Blink 182, The Offspring, Godsmack, Guns 'n Roses, and many others. Sorry for having a music discussion.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                X