Quality Level of music in computer games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Level of music in computer games

As an amateur musican, I am interested in the quality level of music in video games (along with other things ) and I was wondering what type of music quality everyone would like to hear in Civ3.
    Worth buying the CD just to ge the music.
    16.67%
    Quality video game music (Chrono Trigger from SNES comes to mind)
    33.33%
    Half arse techno/nature tracks (kinda like CTP)
    0.00%
    Screw the music! Just build a Mp3 player in it / Let us play w/o the cd in
    37.50%
    Other / My option is not here?
    12.50%
    Last edited by To_Serve_Man; July 6, 2001, 14:45.
    "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

... Not techno for Civ III. Classical Music or Rock will do.
    Techno is out of place... yech
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I really liked the CTP2 music, and I really hope that they will invest more in a nice and complicated music.
      Music that fits the eras in the game sounds good.

For example, the music in Heroes3 was great, it made that feeling of realism and interest in the game.
      Last edited by Eli; July 6, 2001, 15:27.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Yes, but Heroes 3 didn't have enough variety of music- I think there were only about 10 tracks for the adventure map, and a different one for the cities... Civ III needs at least 30 different songs. (And they must be quality...)
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well the biggest issue here is release date of the game.

Think of the time between cds that bands put out. That can be a long time. If Firaxis was going to make Superb music, it wouldl take some time, and I would expect the game to be delayed...

It would be a big WOW, and I mean Wow, if Firaxis could make some great muisc. I've been playing games for a long time. I think the only games I actually turn on to listen to the music (or once Emulators were made i could make them into Mp3s) was Chrono Trigger, and C&C Red Alert. And maybe Super Mario Bros. for NES.. hehe
          "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
            Yes, but Heroes 3 didn't have enough variety of music- I think there were only about 10 tracks for the adventure map, and a different one for the cities... Civ III needs at least 30 different songs. (And they must be quality...)
            I prefer it to have 10 tracks as good as the Heroes3 ones rather than lots of crappy tracks so that i'll have to mute the sound.

The music must be inspiring, complicated. Music that will actually affect the game.
            As an example, the "casus beli" track in CTP2. It really increased my interest in the game, and kept me playing more time than was necessary for this stupid game.
            The track also dragged me to lots of not necessary wars btw.
            Last edited by Eli; July 6, 2001, 15:20.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Please please let it be windowed and allow us to play our own MP3s. I haven't listened to the 'in-game' music in YEARS.

(and no alt-tabbing isn't good enough 'cause that is very unstable)
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                ... Not techno for Civ III. Classical Music or Rock will do.
                Techno is out of place... yech
                yes, techno!! give it to me! technoooooooo!!

if Civ III contains rock tracks ála Limp Bizkit they got themselves one less costumer!!

i hope for some excellent music as heard in Swat3 or StarCraft. sometimes i just paused the game to listen to the music...almost

Comment

I choose the last option, since what I think about wasn't mentioned. Here it is:

Get rid of the music, I always have winamp playing in the background anyway (And if winamp doesn't work with the game then there's always a CD player nearby )
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I was perfectly content playing Civ2 without the music (it asked me to put the CD in even when it was already in). You don't even need to put an MP3 player in (you can play one in the background). Ah, the hours I've spent playing Civ2 with Mussorgsky booming on the stereo behind me. That way, people can listen to whatever music they want and Sid and the boys can concentrate on more important things in Civ3. However, if they decide to put lots of music in, I wouldn't object.
                    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut
                      However, if they decide to put lots of music in, I wouldn't object.
                      I wouldn't object eather, unless they forgot to make a "kill the music" option

Comment

music and movies are an essential part of the game experience. if they don't put it in, i won't but it.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_funk
                          music and movies are an essential part of the game experience. if they don't put it in, i won't but it.
                          Movies are an essential part of the game experience, the music is only there for those who don't have mp3's or a CD player

Comment

heh, pretty hard to play Civ3 without a CD-player, don't you think?
                            anyway, I don't like to listen to my own music during Civ, it's not stylish and doesn't fit with the graphix etc. atlest i'm gonna wait til i get tired of the default music then i start running winamp in the background.

Comment

ADG is right. I always have my MP3 player open or my stereo on whenever I play games (or post on Apolyton; listening to "Kion ajn" by Persone right now).

In Civ2, the movies serve to explain the various wonders but rarely in any game does the music serve to explain what's going on or have anything to do with the game.

I would rather have the Firaxis crew work on the relevent parts of the game, even if it means leaving music out of it.
                              "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Working...
                              X