Could/Should Civ2.5 be cancelled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could/Should Civ2.5 be cancelled?

For some time now, we have had the opportunity to read critical writings, by some apolytoners (And we are the real fans), about what have been told about Civ3.

So what if after all this time, almost 3 years, FIRAXIS would discover that they couldn't make Civ3 but only Civ2.5? Would we like to have it or not?

(Sid Meier already stopped his work on dinosaurs, after he couldn't make a game he wanted so the possibility of no release isn't that unthinkable.)

So if it will be only Civ2.5 should FIRAXIS rather cancel than release it?
    Or do we want it so badly that we would settle for Civ2.5?

Wise men don't waste their time with "what if?" questions.

Civ3 will come out just fine.

(I am well aware of the irony that the Civ series is based on "what if?", but that's just for fun)
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

So if it will be only Civ2.5 should FIRAXIS rather cancel than release it?
      Who first started with the 2.5 thingy ?
      Do you have any idea what a 2.5 release is ?
      ToT is a 2.5 release.

To even think about naming civ3 a 2.5 release is so sumb.
      Do you think civ II is in fact 1.5 ? There's even less difference between civ and civ II then between II and III.

Please stop the 2.5 weaning !
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

Who first started with the 2.5 thingy ?
        Do you have any idea what a 2.5 release is ?
        ToT is a 2.5 release.

To even think about naming civ3 a 2.5 release is so sumb.
        Do you think civ II is in fact 1.5 ? There's even less difference between civ and civ II then between II and III.

Please stop the 2.5 weaning !
        yeah, please stop, or firaxis will get mad and stop posting updates on their 'official' website

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

yeah, please stop, or firaxis will get mad and stop posting updates on their 'official' website
          too late i think they already did that
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

the lack of website updates really confuses me.....
            One day they stoped providing info on the dino game as well....

I mean, if the game is scheduled for a fall release they should start the marketing about right now.....
            And pherhaps they don't want to post more essential information, but in that case they could easily post less essential info like screenshots, a list of units, explain how the map generator works. etc. etc.

CyberShy

Comment

fall this yeear or next year ??

Comment

Who first started with the 2.5 thingy?
                As far as I know, my article a while back titled "Civ 2.5?" started it. You might quibble (for the record, Civ2 was Civ 2. Civ 3? Might well be a Civ 2.5), but the term "Civ 2.5" is immeidately understandable and captures the situation perfectly. ToT has nothing to do with this discussion.

However, to answer the question about cancelling the project, we know it's a rhetorical question. As I have said elsewhere, I'd accept a HIGHLY polished Civ 2.5 with an AI that can work me over. I'd also accept a ground-breaking Civ 3 that gets patched quickly to also a HIGHLY polished Civ 3.

What I won't accept under any circumstance is a Civ 2.5 that needs patching to become polished.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

ROTFLMAO
                  Sorry, but I had thought of myself as a Civ3 protector until I read your replys LOL...
                  (I have so many times cursed to myself about people mocking Civ3 and now I'm in the line of fire )

Then to the issue.
                  Yin comes very close to what I was thinking of by saying:

Originally posted by yin26
                  However, to answer the question about cancelling the project, we know it's a rhetorical question. As I have said elsewhere, I'd accept a HIGHLY polished Civ 2.5 with an AI that can work me over. I'd also accept a ground-breaking Civ 3 that gets patched quickly to also a HIGHLY polished Civ 3.

What I won't accept under any circumstance is a Civ 2.5 that needs patching to become polished.
                  I am just one step further. What if we get something like CTP2 in the Civ3 box?
                  (And now I'll have to aplogize to CTP2-likers of my example )
                  Would you still want it or would it be better if it was never released?

Yes this is a rhetorical question, but luyckily everything doesn't have to save the earth.

Comment

i think (unfortuantly) that civ 2 wil lbe released, but will require a patch within 3 months, and then they will release an addon within 6-12 months

Comment

fall this yeear or next year ??
                      this year

ToT has nothing to do with this discussion
                      It does have everything to do with this discussion.
                      ToT is a typical .5 release.
                      You can't compare civ III (like we know it right now) with ToT, thus is there no reason to name Civ III an upgrade to civ2.

Of course civII and civIII have very much common. That's because they're the same franchise.

Sorry, but I had thought of myself as a Civ3 protector until I read your replys LOL...
                      In these days it's hard to get people satisfied. Whatever has been released, much people start to morn about it. I really can't stand it that people are already mocking down civ while it hasn't even been released !

People are crying that the AI will be bad because of the new game features (culture, trade)
                      How can you publish those negative feelings if we don't have any word on the AI ? Why we have never played the game.

The Apolyton community sounds to me like a bunch of kids that want an icecream.

What if we get something like CTP2 in the Civ3 box?
                      I actually liked CTP2 ways more then CTP, but I didn't like the features they came up with, and the changes they made.
                      That's why I'm looking much forward to civIII, because they won't have stuff like public work, and that absurd ammount of tile improvements.

Would you still want it or would it be better if it was never released?
                      you can't compare civIII with CtP or CtPII.
                      Activision had to build a new franchise on the concept of civ, but it shouldn't be the same game. For that reason they had to give it a different feeling.

CivIII will be build on CivII, it might have the same feeling,
                      thus they don't have to change just to change something.
                      Btw, CtP2 is ways better then CtP.

CivIII wil be a combination of lessons learnt from ToT, SMAC, CtP, CtPII, Civ and CivII.

So far nothing to complain about.

CyberShy

Comment

thus is there no reason to name Civ III an upgrade to civ2.
                        Except, of course, for the *ahem* frequent updates.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          People are crying that the AI will be bad because of the new game features (culture, trade)
                          How can you publish those negative feelings if we don't have any word on the AI ? Why we have never played the game.
                          To be fair, some are afraid that added feature can put Civ II kind AI on its knees: because Firaxis doesn't describe how much enhancement it put into AI for Civ III, someone started to raise warning flags

The Apolyton community sounds to me like a bunch of kids that want an icecream.
                          We want the same: a great game worth our money. With some chocolate, please

CivIII wil be a combination of lessons learnt from ToT, SMAC, CtP, CtPII, Civ and CivII.
                          Really is it? Not sure someone learned the lesson, if not a wrong lesson: don't change rules
                          Geez, break some rules, please: IMHO that's part of the difference between borning "fresh" and growing "classic", and borning "classic" and growing "forgetten".

So far nothing to complain about.
                          ... same said from that guy falling from a skyscraper, while passing the tenth floor of eighty
                          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

Except, of course, for the *ahem* frequent updates.
                            e.g. pathetic units section
                            i mean, people on apolyton and civfanatics had to edit screenshots and extract units. that is REALLY ridiculous. they should have either kept their lips completely sealed or give some regular updates.

there's about 4 months left till tentative release date. they should really have a clue what are they going to pack in those boxes.

Comment

maybe the yrealise they got us sold already so dont need to post updates ..... al la big surprise when it come out

Comment

Working...
                              X