Who wanna play CIVIII by email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputin
    s stated earier , way too early to start making lists. lets get the game and paly with it awhile beofre playing a PBEM game
    I will probably begin playing mp the day the game comes out in one way or another. I plan on finding out the release date getting it in the morning with a friend and then each of us going home to play a couple hours to get the hang of it. We will then log into a Civ server or just use each others address and play some MP Civ III

We did it with SMAC and we will do it again with this one I am pretty sure.

Any way, my main point is that I would love to begin playing PBEM games within a week of release. You might not know all the strategies or intracies of the game, but you will learn fast with trial by error. So a list should be compiled around release time but we shouldn't wait to long.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

i prefer not to paly by email but a list of icq numbers similiar to what is in civ 2 MP section would be handy,, ,just add your number to list when you get civ 3
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
        biggest problem with PBEM is lack of being able to negotiatie wit hhumans... it is like playing SP when it comes to diplomacy....

It would be ok if when ever you wanted to have some diplomatic relations you could contact the other human by ICQ and get them to join the game for a period so as you can negotiate properly ..
        Never heard of e-mail? I would go as far as to say that diplomacy has gone to new heights with PBEM. Not to mention the forums, where much of the diplomacy takes place, along with large doses of propaganda Apparently, some players even have secret alliances!! Of course, i've never done so myself

It has also been said that 90% of all dealings take place outside the game diplomacy and even outside the forums!

BTW, my avatar is uglier than yours, but only just

Comment

Secret alliances, eh? Couldn't you do that with any multiplayer game (as long as you can communicate secretly)? It would be interesting to be in a secret alliance but pretending to be at war. Heeheehee. Whoever you targeted would be paranoid whenever playing MP. That would be funny.

"Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
          "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Well, in civ 3 there are gonna be resources that your opponents have that you need and vice versa. You have to be able to interact with them to set up the trading of those resources. Therefore PBEM won't work.
            ...Liberty and Justice for All

Comment

Originally posted by BorderPatrol
              Well, in civ 3 there are gonna be resources that your opponents have that you need and vice versa. You have to be able to interact with them to set up the trading of those resources. Therefore PBEM won't work.
              This too is done via email:

Dear Julius, I send elephants to you if you send bronze to me, signed Hannibal.

Dear Hannibal, throw in 10 gold/month and you've got a deal, JC.

Dear Julius, deal, Hannibal.

When Hannibal's turn arrives, he opens the diplomacy screen and sends the already agreed upon proposal to Rome. When Julius receives his turn he accepts the proposal that the Carthaginians have sent him. Deal accomplished.

Anything you can do in a real-time chat room you can do via email.

Comment

I fully support, that CIV III should include PBEM.

I am not sure, how many CTP PBEM games I am in right now (I could count them, I know ). Between 13 and 16 (one is just going to start) I think.

If CIV III does not support PBEM games, I will not buy it.

Never heard of e-mail? I would go as far as to say that diplomacy has gone to new heights with PBEM. Not to mention the forums, where much of the diplomacy takes place, along with large doses of propaganda Apparently, some players even have secret alliances!! Of course, i've never done so myself
                No, Lung you can't do anything in silence . Neither can I unless I really have to (and even then, it is hard, sometimes so hard, that I can't stand it ) .

Question from BorderPatrol:
                and the answer ffrom Dugrik:
                This too is done via email: Dear Julius, I send elephants to you if you send bronze to me, signed Hannibal.
                . Simple, isn't it?

From Swissy I have quoted this:
                You also get to play against people from all around the world without having to problems with time zones. and finding a good time for everyone to play.
                And don't think that we, who plays PBEM are boring people. But we (some times) have a life - or take the time to have it.

For the fun of the games. See these links:

An alliance close to break?!: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...7&pagenumber=3

The confession time (after 3 players were eliminated IN THE VERY SAME TURN: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=2 and http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=3

Roleplaying: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...936#post383936

Anniversery: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=21903

Who are we? http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=1
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

That'll show the doubting bastards, Tweety! PBEM is the best, and they don't know what they're missing!

BTW, i still can't understand your cryptic messages I dunno if it's in the translation, or you're just weird

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. ...

Look what the lack of updates from firaxis has done to us. They have reduced the weak minded to playing civilizations over email. LOL. This is classic.
                    Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

i did something not quite unlike this at one time and IT WAS THE GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN THE FEW YEARS IVE BEEN ON THIS PLANET. Thank you for your time.
                      Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... what would you do in it anyway? It seems like it would just be a diplomatic game. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel393
                          i did something not quite unlike this at one time and IT WAS THE GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN THE FEW YEARS IVE BEEN ON THIS PLANET.
                          I'll bet it isn't

[SIZE=1] what would you do in it anyway? It seems like it would just be a diplomatic game. LOL
                          How very true. Every civ i play is the opitome of tolerance and brotherly love Isn't that true, Tweety?!

You see, i play CTP by pbem, and i have never seen, or even heard of a game without war. That of course has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that i am a total warmonger I would even go as far as to say that pbem saved CTP from the annals of crap computer games. In fact, CTP is almost entirely played in pbem now As for diplomacy, i only use it to give me time to invade the nearest peacenik

Comment

Oh yes, maybe I am wierd. I like it this way.

And you are completely right. We "smiles", talk nice and write polite - while we are planning the best way to backstab of beloved brother .

It has something to do with the old saying: Do it now before someone else are doing it to you ! Naaaa, it was not quite that - but it is close to

As for Rommel. Forget him.
                            Last edited by TheBirdMan; July 27, 2001, 00:41.
                            First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

I'm all-in for PBEM.
                              But I have no illusions, it'd take at least 10 years per game.
                              Art is a science having more than seven variables.

Comment

Thanks alot Lung for that subtle implication. I assure you it was the "stupidest" thing I've ever done.

Comment

Working...
                                X