Capitalization in Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitalization in Civ3

One of the annoying things I found in Civ2 is that the AI will default to capitalisation(capitalization for US english) when it doesn't want to or has nothing else to build.

This did not lend itself well to WAR scenario's where you may want its citys to build units and thus forces the scenario builder to give units to the AI at the start of each or a specified turn.

This reduces the gameplay somewhat as it makes the number of enemy cities you may destroy or the land you pillage have no real great effect. In a war scenario knowing this happens really takes the fun out of sending bombers & other units to disrupt the enemy rather than take over a whole city.

The best scenario I ever played was red front, I though about removing the advance for capitilisation and many useless buildings for the AI to force it to build units (ie nothing else it can select) and guess what, in CIv2 the AI can select capitalisation right from the start of the game!

I hope Civ3 will not hard code the AI the ability to do this as per Civ2.

If anyone has any news re this, I'd love to know.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Pavlov Zangalis - Hero of the capture of Berlin RFDG.
    ---------------------------------------------

Options for Scenarios (and Diplomacy)

I think you should be able to inactivate technologies and thing to build (improvements, wonders and units) in Scenarios. If you don't want one of the AIs to do capitalization, you should be able to inactivate it, and for the AI I hope that it will be better on planing what to build.

Some times you may want a Civ to be unable to build SDI-defense in Scenarios, with this function yo just have to inactivate it. You maybe also want one of the Civs to be unable to build a Spaceship, but you want the other fifteen Civs to have that ability. You should also be able to set maximum total units every Civ should be allowed to have. (This could also be a diplomatic ability.
    I.e. you have almost defeated a Civ, and it begs for peace. If this is a militant Civ, you will probably not allow it to rebuild its armies to attack you again. In that case, you should be able to set the following options in your treaty: maximum total units, maximum offensive units, maximum defensive units, maximum total offense points and maximum total defense points. You should be able to set a value or leave it unlimited for each option, and a violation of the limit should be an act of war.)

Now I’m totally out of the topic of this thread, so I’ll stop now before I leave the topic of the Forum.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Gramphos, it was easy to deactivate improvements/techs in CivII. The rules.txt file was really simple.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

too easy to edit rules.txt too, particualry a worry ion MP games where only the hosat knows the changes...
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

yea, i once joined a game that had a 15x multiplier on roads/rivers.

it was scary when a cgariot flew across the world, so i left.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I joined a game on the Zone the other day. It was 2x2x (give me a break; I was bored, and I had to play something). I saw a horseman four forest squares away, so I rushbought a phalanx. I see the freakin' horseman travel through all four forest squares and capture my city. I just said "screw it" and left.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know one can edit the rules, but as they are making a Scenario Editor, I want options in it. It would make everything easier .

Comment

To put all the things you could do with the rules.txt into the scenario editor would make the interface way too complex. The options in the scenario editor should just be the overall options which globally affect gameplay and which are easier to include in the editor than in the rules.txt file.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  To put all the things you could do with the rules.txt into the scenario editor would make the interface way too complex. The options in the scenario editor should just be the overall options which globally affect gameplay and which are easier to include in the editor than in the rules.txt file.
                  You could have an option to have an advance editor. (Crowded with functions and menus, just as I want all apps...) Everything is becoming so simply when all the good functions are hidden to make the interface better for users not used of a screen full of options, menus crowded wit option that opens new windows with more options.

I don't remember if you could edit the rules for just one scenario, or if you had to unedit it every time you were finished with the scenario. I think it was the hardest way, but I'm not sure. If it is like that I want that to be an option saved in the scenario file, not the main game rules.

Comment

You could always just save a backup of the original rules.txt...I think MGE and FW did this for you.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How about a feature in the game that is able to analyze the rules.txt and tells each MP player if changes are made. It would cut down on stories like KH wrote of where rule changes were made that all players are not aware of.

Comment

Yeah...an MP-checker is a must have when you're playing with people you don't know.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KrayzyHorse
                          To mush work... Just make a complicated UI in the editor an I'll be happy (Or give the ability to attach a rules.txt to each scenario (from the editor)).

SerapisIV
                          I've already suggested that (rule-checker) in another thread somewhere...

Comment

A rule-checker thingy would be good. And NOT like in CTP2 where it just turns MP off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

SerapisIV
                              I've already suggested that (rule-checker) in another thread somewhere...
                              This is an absolute must... I remember palying DukeNukem 3D which had user deifned Text files for altrering the game like weopns andstuff. but before allowing you to conenct to would check whether your user file was the exact same as the host, if not titwouldnt allow connection .... if something that old and that simple could do it i am sure the clever people at firaxis can do better....
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X