No announcement yet.

List of technologies in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't the Greeks invent Democracy about 3 or so thousand years ago ? (long before anyone thought of making rifles or firearms in a big way).
    You are right, but I think Democracy in Civ 3 (just as in Civ 2) is the Western-style modern democracy, rather than the ancient one - after all in the Greek society only about 10% of the people had the right to vote - the remaining 90% - women, slaves and foreigners - had no political rights.

Still, it would be nice to have some sort of government representing that early democracy.

Martinus
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

I wonder, what is the big picture? here

I believe it shows the tech tree, as it relates to the current tech

Comment

I believe it shows the tech tree, as it relates to the current tech
        A slight "Duh" would be in order
        Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus

You are right, but I think Democracy in Civ 3 (just as in Civ 2) is the Western-style modern democracy, rather than the ancient one - after all in the Greek society only about 10% of the people had the right to vote - the remaining 90% - women, slaves and foreigners - had no political rights.

Still, it would be nice to have some sort of government representing that early democracy.

Martinus
          The Greeks came up with the idea of the Republic. Very similar to Democracy, but not quite. Democracy "evolved" out of the Republic.

Comment

The Greeks came up with the idea of the Republic. Very similar to Democracy, but not quite. Democracy "evolved" out of the Republic.
            Well, I think this is exactly what they had in mind in Civ, but not exactly IRL.
            The Republic was developed in Rome. The idea of Republic is that there is a strong leader of the nation (or two leaders, as the case may be - as with two Roman consuls) who is the real head of state. He does not normally consult the "people" and it advised by the "senate" composed of somehow chosen (age, family, wealth) more "esteemed" members of the society. The difference from the monarchy mostly lies in the fact that he is elected and normally for some short or medium-long period (such countries as Venice with the lifelong elected Doge being the obvious exception).
            The Democracy is about the people ruling. Only in Greece the democracy was not exactly what we would expect today - but it was not Republic, for sure.

Martinus
            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

Didn't the Greeks invent Democracy about 3 or so thousand years ago ? (long before anyone thought of making rifles or firearms in a big way).
              "If riflemen are a unit for Democracy than I sure hope gunpowder has to be discovered before you can discover Democracy".

This is what I actually meant by that.

Not in regards to the discovery of the gov't Democracy but to the fact that a riflemen shouldn't be able to be discovered before gunpowder is discovered. That is if gunpowder is still a tech. which I'm sure it will be.

A slight "Duh" would be in order
              Or maybe it shows that same picture at a closer zoom.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I dont' know if it is there but a modern age tech advance should be cell phones.

Mercatia

Comment

The acquirements for making nukes are:

Theory of Gravity (for Flight)
                  Flight (for Rocketry and airplanes)
                  Radio (for Rocketry)
                  Rocketry
                  Nuclear Fusion
                  Nuclear Power
                  C. Gerhardt
                  onorthodox methodes are the way towards victory

Comment

Technologies...

I wonder how many technologies there will be in Civ3. As we all now it is a very important question, because we all love researching.
                    I counted the ancient ones to 21 and the Middle-age ones to 22. That makes em 43.

What do you think, how many will there totally be in Civ3?
                    Chief editor for the metal zine Victory:
                    www.finnmetal.cjb.net

Comment

Well off the first screenshot and using the video it came off, this is what I can see:

First Column
                      Bronze Working
                      Masonry
                      appears to say I.Alphabet?
                      Pottery
                      The Wheel
                      Warrior Code
                      Ceremonial Burial

Second Column
                      Iron Working (req: Bronze Working)
                      Writing (req: I.Alphabet)
                      Mysticism (req: Ceremonial Burial)

Third Column
                      Mathematics (req: Masonry, I.Alphabet)
                      Philosophy (req: Writing)
                      Code of Laws (req: Writing)
                      Literature (req: Writing)
                      Mapmaking (req: Writing, Pottery)
                      Horseback Riding (req: The Wheel, Warrior Code)
                      Polytheism (req: Mysticism)

Fourth Column
                      Currency (req: Mathematics)
                      The Republic (req: Philosophy, Code of Laws)

Fifth Column
                      ???

The problem is, determining what this technology that requires Mathematics and Iron Working is...any suggestions?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

List of Techs

Could the tech "Military Tradition" be a requirement for the Great Leader unit that has been discussed?
                        "Pessimism: Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." - demotivational poster

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker

Comment

Theology seems to be a requirement for Printing Press and Education. This is correct in a medieval European context (reformation -> pamphlets, first bible; theology -> universities), but not for eg. China. There should be an alternative for monotheism and theology, a secular ideology, Confucianism maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Fifth Column
                            ???

The problem is, determining what this technology that requires Mathematics and Iron Working is...any suggestions?
                            Its probably Bridge Building.

1 thing aint clear to me!
                            19th and 20th century bridges are build with the knowledge of Iron Working (steel), but the Romans have build bridges and aquaducts without using any Iron, but stone and wood, so why can we only build bridges after this Tech?

Please Firaxis, I dont wanna see this tech again. It doesn´t make sence!
                            C. Gerhardt
                            onorthodox methodes are the way towards victory

Comment

I am not sure it is Bridge Building; it just seems to be one word. Besides that is obviously the ancient screen and we have seen the modern screen. So what happened to Construction and Trade for example?

And where the hell is Monarchy?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Fifth Column
                                ???

The fifth column tech could be construction. The word seems to be about the right size, although I don't know if it fits within the general scheme of tech advances.
                                "Pessimism: Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." - demotivational poster

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker

Comment

Working...
                                X