List of technologies in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of technologies in the game

This is where we attempt to guess at the technologies Firaxis has put into Civ III. To start it off, I'll put down the list of techs which I can cull from the tech advisor screenshots.

-Bronze Working (probably required for spearmen and phalanx)

Taken from here.

-Warrior Code
    -The Wheel (required for chariot)
    -Pottery
    -Ceremonial Burial
    -Mathematics (required for catapult)

The previous five were the only ones I could read on this screenshot.

-Monotheism
    -Feudalism (required for pikeman)
    -Engineering
    -Theology
    -Chivalry (required for knights)
    -Invention
    -Printing Press (NEW!)
    -Education (NEW!)
    -Gunpowder (required for musketeer)
    -Music Theory (NEW!)
    -Banking
    -Astronomy (required for caravel: new requirement)
    -Chemistry
    -Democracy (required for 2 units; possibly riflemen and a mounted unit: new requirement)
    -Physics
    -Metallurgy (required for cannon)
    -Economics
    -Navigation (required for explorer: new requirement)
    -Free Artistry (NEW!)
    -Theory of Gravity
    -Magnetism (required for three units, probably galleon and frigate, possible English special unit "Man O' War")
    -Military Tradition (NEW! required for unknown, probably new unit)

The last bunch were taken from here.

If any of you can confirm the existence of other techs, feel free to post 'em here.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I just hope that the tech tree is well organised. CTP2 having fascism as a prerequisite for democracy being an obvious mistake.

Fortunately a tech editor can overcome any minor flaws.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: List of technologies in the game

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      (snip)
      -Magnetism (required for three units, probably galleon and frigate, possible English special unit "Man O' War")
      (snip)
      Thanks, I was beginning to be afraid of Music Theory
      Anyway, there is still reason to fear Highlanders armed with bagpipes as the Scottish special unit
      De biais si je peux, de front si je
      dois.

Comment

Glad to see that there are some new technologies reflecting the importance of artistic development to the strength of a civilization. I'll be interested to see what buildings/ Wonders/ units will be associated with some of these advances.

Music Theory a prerequisite to Radio?

Comment

I see Iron Working and Map Making in this screen. (IronWorkning Second from the left in the top row. Map Making: The one with a Ship (over a possible Horseback Riding (correct length, but I can't read it.)))
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Well isn't it obvious that Music Theory is an important prerequisite to rock music? Along with electronics

Who knows what that will be all about, obviously allows some way of controlling unhappiness...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Internet has also been mentioned as being a new tech. If riflemen are a unit for Democracy than I sure hope gunpowder has to be discovered before you can discover Democracy.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Most of the new technologies listed are related to culture, so I assume we will get more, including

Cinema
                Literature
                Gramaphone/popular music/rock and roll

I hope that the Great Leaders concept is extended to science, trade and culture - although the discussion about whether the great leader should be the Beatles or Elvis may start a riot
                "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                  Internet has also been mentioned as being a new tech
                  The Internet has been mentioned as a minor wonder, not a tech.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Internet has been mentioned as a minor wonder, not a tech.
                    Oh yeah, that's right. I don't know what I was thinking.
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I managed to squint out a few more techs on this screenshot:

-Horseback Riding (required for 1 unit, almost certainly the horseman unit)

-Philosophy (seems to no longer require Mysticism)

-Code of Laws

-Writing

-Linguistics (or something similar; they've renamed Alphabet)

-Mysticism

-Literacy (I think)

-Iron Working (required for 1 unit, almost certainly the swordsman unit)
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I forgot to ask: does anybody have any idea what the "T"-balls mean in this screenshot? Or why some of them have red crosses through them?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          I forgot to ask: does anybody have any idea what the "T"-balls mean in this screenshot? Or why some of them have red crosses through them?
                          I think that they are placeholders for improvements that will be able by that technology. The on with red crosses is in that case most likely wonders that are made obsolete by that technology.
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

It's strange though; the placeholders for improvements are not separated from the unit icons. Good idea, Gramphos; I hadn't thought of there being an icon for wonder (or maybe even improvement) expiry.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Big Crunch - Regarding

I sure hope gunpowder has to be discovered before you can discover Democracy.
                              Didn't the Greeks invent Democracy about 3 or so thousand years ago ? (long before anyone thought of making rifles or firearms in a big way).

Comment

Working...
                              X