No announcement yet.

Resources & Luxuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look closely at number 5. It is definitely diamonds, not silver. I think 2 (bottom) is gold, so quite what 6 (top) is. I think all these are luxury goods so I doubt it is bronze (as iron or oil or coal are absent). But I think these ones are only luxuries (although some of these foods, are they luxuries?). Top left is definitely a deer, it is different to the horse resources seen.

Now what is the bottom left luxury resource (shown in the bottom luxuries bar as well). Perhaps salt?

I dunno about you, but seeing all these resources and thinking about trading them is making me all excited
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

im looking forward to the wars to be fought over access to these resources....

instead of totally unjustified wars that most civ 2 game sbecame , we now will hav ejsut cause to invade when the asking price for certain commodites becomes too high ...
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin

instead of totally unjustified wars that most civ 2 game sbecame , we now will hav ejsut cause to invade when the asking price for certain commodites becomes too high ...
        Let greed be deadly I like your idea.....
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin

Not only that. Now there are some powerful "alternative warfare" options included. The AI can now establish resource-pacts and/or trade-pacts against you. Both economy and resources has been tied up with warfare in Civ-3, so you cannot more or less ignore such pacts, as you often could in Civ-2.
          You can counteract this by having at least 1-2 trusty allies at you side and/or converting to nationalism > war-economy. Your "trusty" ally starts however to recognize his pivotal role here. Perhaps he wants to "sweeten the deal" somewhat in order to continue the treaty.
          Last edited by Ralf; June 17, 2001, 08:45.

Comment

Imagine controlling all the Uranium and being the only one with nukes, now there's an ace up your sleeve
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

makes the game so much mroe realistic, one of the main reasons Japan foolishly attacked US in WW2 was the oil embargo emplaced upon them by the US .. Japan had no access to the oil its people needed so only response likley was full attack....

i can see limited wars fought just to prevent monopolies forming or even one civ getting too much of any one commodity such as Iraq invading Kuwait and then US reaction to that...

Ahhhh MP games are looking very interesting in Civ 3 ...
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

i think the deer is "pelts" or "hides", based on civ 2 resources.

and WHAT THE HELL is that pointy thing near hannover in the above shots?
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I believe the Incense is a luxury. This will increase hapiness in the city i believe. As will ivory, silver, gold, wine, diamonds, spices, paper and silk. Actually all of those reasorses in the list might be luxuries. and the actual resourses to build things might be shown elsewhere on the screen or when you open the build que. Also the list of luxuries can be found at the bottom of the screen, but i believe that this list is scrollable as some are missing such as elephants and wine. another thing i noticed is that the luxuries show are just the bottom of the two rows of resources, so maybe the top row is resources and the bottom row is luxuries, however wine and diamonds are on the top and are clearly luxuries.

Comment

Well the Baltimore screenshot does show something that looks like a deer, but remember that that is the oldest screenshot we've seen. The Firaxis screenshots however definitely show a resource that looks like a horse (on the map, not a city-screen). I would trust these more because Firaxis knows better then to release screenshots that are too far from the final build, especially in terms of graphics.

No lets think about the pros and cons of horses and deer.

Deer...most likely as Uber said, hides ala Civ2. A luxury item, probably not much more.

Horses...backbone of rapid transportation. Without horses, how can you have cavalry or chariots? We know that units like tanks will require iron and rubber resources, why skip a very easy resource, horses themselves? It would be a great economic factor. In North and South America there were no horses till the Spanish arrived, because of which rivers were the only means of rapid transit.

Horses would be a great economic resource, deer...kinda iffy in my opinion. Besides, using Firaxis' own screenshots is the final nail in the coffin in my opinion proving horses as an actual resource.

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                      Well the Baltimore screenshot does show something that looks like a deer, but remember that that is the oldest screenshot we've seen. The Firaxis screenshots however definitely show a resource that looks like a horse (on the map, not a city-screen). I would trust these more because Firaxis knows better then to release screenshots that are too far from the final build, especially in terms of graphics.

No lets think about the pros and cons of horses and deer.

Deer...most likely as Uber said, hides ala Civ2. A luxury item, probably not much more.

Horses...backbone of rapid transportation. Without horses, how can you have cavalry or chariots? We know that units like tanks will require iron and rubber resources, why skip a very easy resource, horses themselves? It would be a great economic factor. In North and South America there were no horses till the Spanish arrived, because of which rivers were the only means of rapid transit.

Horses would be a great economic resource, deer...kinda iffy in my opinion. Besides, using Firaxis' own screenshots is the final nail in the coffin in my opinion proving horses as an actual resource.
                      Anyone played Colonization? Everything is coming back to me now.....first making the muskets..then breeding the horses. Those were truely the days

Comment

*bump*

Well looking at one of the screenshots, I noticed that the Babylonian empire is connected to cattle, but it certainly doesn't show up as a luxury as someone has mentioned in this thread previously. So I expect that cattle could provide a food/resource bonus (meat and leather products) on any square that possesses it. It could also be an important military resource: leather. Probably essential in the creation of ancient archers/bowmen and many types of armour!
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Remember, there are three kinds of resources. Special Resources, Luxuries, and "Bonus Resources" that act a lot like the old Civ2 special tiles. I'm guessing Deer and Fish, for instance, are this kind of resource.
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

THE DEAR IS A NEW TYPE OF ANIMAL DISCOVERED ! ! !

IM NOT KIDDING ! ! !

ITS THE SID MEIER ANIMAL ! ! !

awww isnt he cute, lets pet him, but be carefull not to pet him too hard, hey may bite your hand off
                            "Its a great day for Hockey"
                            - Badger Bob Johnson -

Comment

Working...
                            X