X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Money

This is you making assumptions about the rules of Money/Income:

Originally posted by TechWins
    I'm not real sure how I'm going to make money in the very beginning. Let's say I build my first city and I get a tax of 1. So I'm making an income of 1 gold per turn.
    This is you complaining about the assumed rules:

I build my first unit, for defense. So now I'm not making any money. I then decided to... oh wait I can't build anything until my citie grows so I can get at least a tax of 2. Who knows how long that could take. What to do. You have to build a military unit right away for defense but you could also use a temple to get some of those valuable resources.
    This is a summary of your complaint, formed in a question.

My question is how is there going to be enough money to support all your needs?
    You can call it "talking" about Civ 3; I call it an attempt to identify a weakness you believe to be present in the design of the game.

There are many things about gameplay in which we simply DO NOT know.

Your point may yet be valid, but we have no hint of that as of this time.

It would be a comparison to Civ 2 to what you expect for Civ 3 if you had the "problem" you are speaking of in Civ 2. But of course you didn't, none of us did.

This is how rumors get started.

Speculations on gameplay are fine in my opinion, but when you carry that to the point of:

(simplified) The game may play like this......., if it does, then we have a problem.

I would rather see speculations about what you would like to see in the game, some sort of positive input, or even contructive criticism of Civ 2 or of specific "official" Civ 3 gameplay issues.

All else is banter that is without merit or worth.

Comment

Grow up

>Originally posted by UberKruX
      >take offence to this you brits.
      >
      >::several obscene gestures::
      >

UberKrux,
      Do you think your comments are funny or witty? Stop wasting forum space. People come here to exchange information about the games, not read childish insults directed at people of other nations.
      Formerly known as Masuro.
      The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Agreement etc.

UberKrux,
        Do you think your comments are funny or witty? Stop wasting forum space. People come here to exchange information about the games, not read childish insults directed at people of other nations.
        I agree, even though this is a gaming forum, that is no reason to become an immature malcontent. Being a teen is not excuse.

What? I would hate civ3 if Firaxis made the game that easy. If everyone got off lucky with 1 or 2 units at the beginning, the game would be dull and not hard.
        I kinda agree here too. If you were talking about military units (which I am assuming you are) then you're totally right. Those should be worked for. However, how can you start without any units? Unless you start with just a city of course.

What I'm wondering is would each unit spend one coin, and be directly translated from the civ 2 shield system where there are free unit support, or if it will be a bit more dynamic. Hey, lets face it, a battleship costs way more to support than a rifleman.

Ioanes
        Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
        http://john.jfreaks.com
        -The Artist Within-

Comment

UberKrux I thought it was funny.

Everybody try not to have too much curiostiy around bigfree1, he might think that it's complaining.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

i don't think he meant it seriously, in fact i know he didn't. Lighten up and stuff
            if it wasn't for humour i can tell you this:
            the world would be less funny and, probably, less good

to get back on topic, some kind of national debt might be nice; providing it didn't overcomplicate things

i have a feeling it might get ignored tho as to most new players it wouldn't really be of interest.

well, that's enough devastating insight for now. time to panic about an exam on the reformation in Europe i have tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
              I support: Deficit Spending as well as nation to nation loans
              It remember a cheat a friend of mine found into the old Sid's game "Railroad Tycoon", where you can raise your debt so high the counter overflow and change its sign: you jumped straight from -64k $ to +64k $ Tycoon of the world in a night!

May be it'll be one of the "traditional feature" that Sid keep from game to game
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Going into debt is certaily something that would make Civ more like the real world and would certainly help avoid the exponential climb from the bronze age uninterrupted to the space age. Massive debts incurred from constant warfare were often the factor that saw once great nations fall back into obscurity.

To greatly oversimplify (sorry historians) just look at sixteenth century Spain. It controlled Spain, half of Italy, parts of North Africa, the Low Countries (approx Holland and Belgium) and by far the richest colonies in the New World before England had done more than send out an exploratory expedition. However its constant fighting with the French and Turks and internal rebellions was enough to exhaust their manpower and drain even their amazing wealth. Two centuries later it is England with the increasingly wealthy overseas Empire. Two world wars later and the English Empire is declining and the mother country is debt crippled itself.

The toggle between wartime and peacetime economies is an interesting start to approaching the problem (in latter day warfare) but it simply does not work if you can switch off the bad effect the second someone declares peace. You should have an army costing you a fortune, and more in training, that you now have to quietly disband and find civilian jobs for. This didn't start in 1805 either, it has been the same since the first King started paying his troops a set wage instead of relying entirely on plunder.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
                  I think money should be in Pounds Sterling.. not Gold
                  Is there a probability to give every civ its own currency e.g.

English = pounds sterling
                  American = dollar
                  Spain = peseta`s
                  Roman = dinari
                  Russian = roebels
                  Franch = francs
                  German = mark
                  etc.etc.etc

U can make a real trade offer 20 USDollar = 120 Ffrancs
                  C. Gerhardt
                  onorthodox methodes are the way towards victory

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                    However its constant fighting with the French and Turks and internal rebellions was enough to exhaust their manpower and drain even their amazing wealth.
                    I can remember me history lesson quite well.

There was a certain Dutch captain, Piet Hein, that intercepted some of the spanish gold and silver that was transported from the New World to Spain and delivered it back in Holland so we could pay for our rebellion against the Spanish (1568 - 1648).

Maybe a good idea for The Game.

Non-military units can be captured by military units without paying any bribing-fee used by an diplomatic unit. Makes it necessary to guard your settlers, workers and caravans.
                    Naturally you cant capture allied units and is it an act of war if you capture units from a friendly civ.

Maybe u can bribe (diplomatic, of course) an enemy unit to disband itself? Makes it easy to conquer the enemy without the extra unit maintanance!
                    C. Gerhardt
                    onorthodox methodes are the way towards victory

Comment

Is there a probability to give every civ its own currency e.g.

English = pounds sterling
                      American = dollar
                      Spain = peseta`s
                      Roman = dinari
                      Russian = roebels
                      Franch = francs
                      German = mark
                      etc.etc.etc

U can make a real trade offer 20 USDollar = 120 Ffrancs
                      There is no way that it will be like this. Kind of a late reply to this but I guess better late than never.
                      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Gold has been a universal currency until the last two or three centuries. It's only since then that more abstract ideas have taken prominence as economic tools. I like the simplicity of gold. At least that way we don't have to worry about exchange rates.

Comment

If you're going to introduce an exchange rate, then a more complex economic model is going to have to be developed. That's a whole new kettle of fish, and I don't think it's worth it just to see the Russians using Rubles. Gold is still used as an exchange currency between nations, and for millenia precious metals were considered the only "real" currency.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

problems with exchange rates is that they are set by capitalsit pigs... at what point do we reasearch thses damn capitalists to setup exchange rates
                            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Anothe problem with having exchane is how will they determine what the exchange rates will be and in what time in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                                Going into debt is certaily something that would make Civ more like the real world and would certainly help avoid the exponential climb from the bronze age uninterrupted to the space age. Massive debts incurred from constant warfare were often the factor that saw once great nations fall back into obscurity.
                                Getting away from the less relevant issue of exchange rates, debt is a crucial issue. If we move away from a system where units are funded by shields (which every city receives "free") to a tax-based system of government funding, yielding enough income to sustain your army becomes critical.

As Grumbold rightly points out, throughout history nations have usually only been able to fund major military campaigns by borrowing money. Paul Kennedy's book, "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" hits this issue on the head - the superpowers of the last five centuries have been those countries with economies and financial systems able to bear the financial strain of sustaining large armies for long periods.

You could argue that Britain was able to achieve superpower status in the 18/19th centuries because: 1) it developed into the richest economy; but also 2) it developed capital markets able to finance the various wars (Seven Years War, the Revolutionary War - sorry, War of Independence - and the Napoleonic wars) it engaged in over the period.

I suggest an improvement to the game: enable civs to borrow money once they develop to the appropriate level, say, after researching "trade" technology. The rate of interest charged every period would be a function of existing debt levels, income and default history (some civs just simply wouldn't be able to borrow). You could prevent cheating by plunging your civ into anarchy in cases of borrowing defaults, and limiting loan size.

You could then have a new technology, e.g. "capital markets", that enables your civ to borrow at lower rates or enhance your financing ability in other ways.
                                Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

Working...
                                X