A "bull**** generator" should provide future techs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "bull**** generator" should provide future techs

I know that Civ-3 probably will end 2020 AD, and thats all good and well. Im all for it.

However, in the Is future technology coming back thread, I found the following quotes about replacing Civ-2 style generic "future techs" with something more fun:

Originally posted by BigRich
    But I digress. What I *would* like to see is an automatic tech selection once you have finished the tech tree. Selecting Future Tech X every few turns gets a bit tedious.
    Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
    Just for fun, Firaxis should add a random tech name composer; you know, that kind of program that generate a phrase adding together different class of words.
    Great idea, that also fits splendidly within the somewhat humorous & lighthearted style that Firaxis have announced for Civ-3.

-------------------- edited:
    Hmm! The censor will not accept "bull s-h-i-t". OK, copy below link to the addressfield, and replace the * letters.
    --------------------------

[URL=http://www.dack.com/web/bull****.html.[/URL]

On that webpage, a sentence-generator automatically & randomly compose verbs, adjectives & nouns into a nonsense web-economy concepts.
    Why couldnt Civ-2 style generic "future techs" be replaced with something similar - but with only 2 word-links (so the result reads like SMAC-style techs)?
    Why not provide some SciFi word-links in 2 separate columns under this topic? Start out by getting inspiration from the SMAC tech-tree poster, and also from other turnbased- and realtime SciFi-games - but twist & tweak them, so they become strange and wacky enough. It must be obvious to the civ-player that these future techs only are tech add-ons, without any real purpose in the game. I suggests the following format in the game:

"Future tech 1: [wacky SciFi-tech]", randomly put together each time, and each game.

Just as an idea, what would people think of Future Techs that actually did something. Use a random name generator as above (loved this idea btw) and have some names give beneficial effects. Eg. Ultralight alloys - improves unit movement by 1, Genetic computers +2 beakers for each city over size 5, Universal vaccine +1 happiness per city (very rare this one )
    No, I dont like that. Civ-2 style generic "future techs" (or random wacky SciFi ones) should only give you more game-points. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Ralf; July 7, 2001, 15:17.

This is the best idea for Civ 3 I've heard in months.

Hurrah!

Comment

This is a very good idea, at least the best science my name-change . The generator must check so that no real tech may be invented.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

One thing that might be bad with this idea is translation of the random strings into different languages. If just hate badly translated games, and most often play the game in the original language if it is badly translated and the original language is accessible.
        If FIRAXIS can have a random tech generator working for English what says that the techs would have realistic names in Swedish, if the game is translated to Swedish (as most games are nowadays).

Comment

Of course I must support my same idea, Ralf
          Thanks for quoting and launching a dedicated thread.

I agree Future tech must be "score generator", without added bonus.

I remember a similar automatic sentence generator is somewhere into the Dilbert comic site.

Gramphos, you are right about trouble in translating the random name generator rules, but we are speaking about very simple names, not complex sentence generator, so I'm almost sure there are prebuilt routines available in every countries University
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
            Gramphos, you are right about trouble in translating the random name generator rules, but we are speaking about very simple names, not complex sentence generator, so I'm almost sure there are prebuilt routines available in every countries University
            You are probably right, and as Civ is very editable I think I should be able to change anything that looks bad.

Comment

Hmm...

While this is an interesting idea, it means the "future techs" will be different from game to game, or even different from person to person in an MP game.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Firaxis might as well just make a list of 50 or so of gibberish terms (e.g. Revised Theon Theory).
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why doesn't Firaxis just use the techs from Alpha Centauri?
                Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Executor
                  Why doesn't Firaxis just use the techs from Alpha Centauri?
                  No Random names are better. You will get a meaning to discover the Future Techs (All the fun names). If it ispossible to add more name parts You wouldn't run out of names after playing a while.

Comment

Some tech names

Three Columns: Take one from column A,B,C to create a new tech

A.
                    Quasi
                    Phony
                    Photon
                    Death
                    Star

B.
                    Photon
                    Death
                    Ray
                    Trek
                    Indiana

C.
                    Ray
                    Gun
                    City
                    Mantis
                    Spyder

Example: Phony Indiana Gun
                    Example: Death Ray Mantis
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      Three Columns: Take one from column A,B,C to create a new tech
                      Nice try But I think that these three columns should specifically be A: verbs, B: adjectives and C: nouns. Surf to http://www.dack.com/ and then check out the left column > Whats popular > Web Economy Bull**** generator, for some inspiration.

Comment

I'd like future techs to have tiny positive effects just to make further progress worthwhile but the random names sound fun.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Good try , DarkCloud, but too MoO-like for my tastes.

A.
                          Global
                          Universal
                          Large-scale
                          Internet
                          High
                          New
                          Quantum
                          Photon
                          Neuron

B.
                          Genetic
                          Semiconductor
                          Cognitive
                          Neuron
                          Quantum
                          Superconductor
                          Photon

C.
                          Planning
                          Foundation
                          Resonance
                          Net
                          Finder
                          Engineering

For example: Quantum Superconductor Engineering
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

The Columns should be editable. The only thing that matters is how the system shall work, not what Technology names there is.

Why not make it more complex?
                            A: verbs, B: adjectives, C: beginning of nouns and D: ending of nouns.

Comment

There's no need for verbs. All these generators work with only nouns, and sometimes adjectives.

Comment

Working...
                              X