No announcement yet.

Your expected CPU-power around christmas 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD K6-2 266 3D MMX, 64MB SDRAM, 6GB HD, Win98, OPTi PnP sound and video. Flat-broke, not bloody likely I'll be upgrading any time soon . But SMAC runs absolutely flawlessly, so why change anything
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

P2-400, 128MB RAM, sincerely doubt I'll see any new hardware for a while

Comment

Firaxis has stated that it plans to release this game with the lowest system requirements possible.

Can't they release a game that is scalable?

Even if it takes two CD's, I would like to have a gaming experience that allows my upper-end system to be properly utilized (It's like towing a Ferrari with a Pinto).

For the longest, people complained that hardware was far behind the software and that led to dismal gaming experiences, the tides have changed drastically. Can't the software developers catch up?

What's the "real" problem?

Comment

I have a pentium 3 running at 800. Its already to slow for my habits but i would like to upgrade to a AMD Thunderbird system made by falcon NW. Its a 1ghz but it put with a good video card and it run faster than a Pentium 4 at "1.7 ghz" which is really a joke.
          Last edited by ancient; June 5, 2001, 17:35.

Comment

What's the "real" problem?
            It Call DOS better known at 640 k base memory. One of these days Mr. Gates is suppose to make window DOS free. When he does, there will be no minimal base memory. It then will be RAM, how much do you have. The Computer gamer can then go wild and make whatever they want.

My computer was a P-II 350 MMX w/64 ram., 3dfx 24 meg, Sound Blaster 128, now it is a P-III 600 MMX w/128 ram, Matrox G-400 32 meg. VC, Sound Blaster Live SC.

For you guys that are short on money. If there is a computer show in your city attend it and see what you can do with a few dollar to upgrade your computer. My computer is made by DSi and if you have not heard of them, go to Window Update and click on Hardware support and they will come up. I was surprise to find that out a week ago when I was downloading most of the new window driver.
            My hard drive, modem, and DVD drive went bad and they replaced all of them for free while I waited for them to be replaced and was talking to the tech. as he was working on my computer.
            My upgrade from a 350 to 600 in Aug. of 2000 only cost me $267.00. My new VC was $119.00 and SBL was $89.00.

Comment

Probably my trusty PIII-500.

Never know, the folks might feel generous and get me something new though .
              - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
              Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I will not be upgrading by then, so I will have my trusty old Athlon 700 (first generation Slot A, about 1 1/2 years old), which I don't think will have too much problem coping, especially if I purchase a memory upgrade by then as well...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Currently I have a PIII 500 with 450MB RAM, Matrox G400 dualhead video, SBLive, RealMagic DVD, and a TV tuner. If I can get the money together, I plan on having a system with two PIII 500 processors in it for Christmas. Can we say cool?
                  The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Athlon 800, 128MB Ram (yeah still not upgraded, though I will)
                    GeForceDDR
                    Good stable Mainboard

And I think I need a Palomino with GeForce3

Ata

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                      Dual PIII 700s, 256 MB SDRAM, 32 MB GeForce DDR, 640kb ADSL...and I'm still not fast enough to make me completely happy.
                      Pardon me, wich S.O. do you use to take advantage from a dual PIII?

I'm afraid I doubt Firaxis will build any Civ III version able to spread tasks to more than a CPU
                      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Pentium 200- There will be no upgrade for at least a year
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

P3 533 with 128mb ram, crappy-ass sound and video cards - i spent my extra cash on dvd and cdrw instead of video and sound cards - probably no upgrade for at least 2 years.

joesph, i thought it took a lot more money to upgrade your processor...
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Nope, and I have the receipt to prove it.

Comment

Propably the same old crap that i have but i hope for a faster one..

Comment

I'm with serapis

Comment

Working...
                                X