Wonder, who build them, you our the AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechWins
    Maybe you should stop playing on Chieftain Joseph. Start trying the harder levels.
    It would be hard for me to do that. One I will admit that I'm not the greatest player in the word. However I do not like to loose in anything, at anytime, to anyone. I will not play MP for that reason. Also I play to have fun and not be upset because I lost. If you knew me, you might understand. I came from a time when loosing was not a thing to do. I join the US Navy in 62, and all of my Petty Offices were in their middle to late 30 and was in the Navy for more than 16 years. That means that some of them saw action in Korea. Our two CO. and XO. were WWII vets. We were taught to win only. In 65 I went to work at Mare Island Naval Shipyard and guess what, if we lost there, men could die just like those poor Russian Sailor a few month ago. My job at the yard said that I had to be one of the best and I did OK.
    I have tried other level from time to time but normally loose, so now I do not play them.

Comment

When I built wonders in Civ 2, I often use the second function of the caravan - to help build wonders. I think with the new trade system in Civ 3 there is no unit "caravan".
      Is there any unit which will replace the function of the caravan?

Comment

joseph, it appears in your last post you have answered you own question. Some fundamental rules of the game changes as you progress through the 7 difficulty levels.

Comment

I didn't even know that. What else actually changes, other than the AI getting cheaper stuff?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

[list=1][*]AI cheats more (free units/advances/buildings)[*]Unhippiness increases (Chieftan, 3 units in a monarchy city keeps em happy till 8, diety 5)[*]More Corruption/waste[*]AI "hates" humans, often, if not always ally against them[*]your units lose more (i can recall a barbarian horseman taking out a few archers)[*]tech stagnation[*]tech "blocking" (at chieftan->prince it does not occur)[*]AI uses better tactics, instead of throwing units at you they may pillage things and whatnot[/list=1]
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think tech "blocking" as you put it occurs on Prince as well, if you mean what I think you do. I can distinctly remember not being able to get advances I should have been able to when I played Prince. Note: Prince is fun because it's the last level you don't really have to worry about unhappiness.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Joseph,

I think you should play on the King level. IIRC, at that level you and all the computer players are on equal footing.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Wonder, who build them, you or the AI?

Originally posted by joseph1944
                  In Civ 2, all of the AIs can make the discovery that allow a wonder to be built, but cannot start to build it until you the human make the necessary discovery.
                  Originally posted by UberKruX
                  not true. the AI almost always starts the hanging gardens before i get pottery whenever i play on diety
                  Actually it is difficulty-level dependent. On the lower difficulty levels the AI has to wait until you have discovered the advance before it can start building. On higher difficulty levels, this restriction does not apply.

I don't see any problem with notification that another nation has started building a wonder either, gives other nations a bit of notice and allows them to get their arse into gear
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                    Unhippiness increases
                    I knew there was a reason why I always played deity. Less hippies.

Gramphos-

One thing I'm irritated on, at the harder levels, is that you get information on whatever civ is producing a wonder. I like Civ I more as nothing were said at any level of difficulty. The AI could build a wonder without you notice anything.
                    I suggest that you need an embassy to be able to know what wonder(s) a civ is constructing.
                    Think of it as travelers reporting another nation undertaking a massive project that is well-known to their public.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                      Think of it as travelers reporting another nation undertaking a massive project that is well-known to their public.
                      In one turn. I you don't even know that that civ exists. No you should need embassies to get the information immediately. Anyway you should get the information after a while (depending on how advance the travel of you and the civ constructing the Wonder is.
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

In one turn. I you don't even know that that civ exists. No you should need embassies to get the information immediately. Anyway you should get the information after a while (depending on how advance the travel of you and the civ constructing the Wonder is.
                        Even in the ancient world, news kind of trickles around. If some very obscure civilisation remains obscure, no one will know of it's existance. If it does something of interest, eg, a very large and prosperous city for it's day or a wonder, news will spread.

Ask yourself this question. If you don't know if he has started building, how will you know he has completed it so you end your construction of the project yourself? Think about it like that...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

in MP it doesnt tell you when the human players start building it ,, so i agree dont tell me when the Ai starts..
                          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                          X