System specs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System specs???

Any guesses on what the minimum system requirements for Civ3???

And if your system is on the low end, will you upgrade or go out and buy a new system, using Civ3 as your justification to do so??

I have a PII - 350 with 192 Mg RAM, so I should be fine. (at least I hope so)
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

what i loved about civ was the windowed interface and the ability to run on damn near any machine that had a CD rom and a harddrive.

this game looks a bit high end, and if its like AC, or an AC like engine, its going to be full screen
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

From what i heard (i may be wrong, i usually am + i have no idea where i heard it from) the min specs are going to low. If this is the case then hopefully it will be and 350, maybe lower.

i think they mentioned it on their website. Hope this is useful

Comment

Being a turnbased game, I would think that RAM is far more important than CPU speed.

Unless you've got a really slow computer just make sure you have at least the recommended amount of RAM. (Don't know what that is yet though ~ 96-128Mb (?)). Playing a game with just the minimum of RAM is frustrating.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I predict that you'll have to have:

200 mhz
          64 mb of ram
          650 mb of free space (typical)

And I also predict that CIV will have 3D support.
          [also that ram prediction might be a little high]

Comment

Sid himself said right after the contract signing that the requirement would be as low as possible, so almost everyone can BUY the game and play it on their computer. CTP 2 requirement were 166 w/64 megs., 320MB + 150 swap file, 4megs.-16 bit VC, and 16 bit SC.
            If they raise the speed, I bet it will not go above 233/64megs.

Comment

Yeah Firaxis are trying to make the game run on most systems - maybee thats why they are using 3D renders for everything. Anyway i predict the minimal requirments for the game will be:

- Pentium 200
              - 32Mb Ram
              - 2Mb Graphics Card (16-bit)
              - Sound Card

Multliplayer:

- 64Mb Ram
              - Modem

I have a Celeron 333, with 64Mb Ram, and a Pentium 3 with 128Mb Ram, but i'm almost sure the requirments will be as above (if not less)
              Alex

Comment

Hmm, Alex that sounds a bit too low for me,

I would at least say a 300MHz CPU and at least 8MB GFX card. 32MB RAM will perhaps work with Win95, but it would be a pain under Win98ME or Win2000 (I´m not even sure if you can run it under 98ME with only 32MB)...
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                  Being a turnbased game, I would think that RAM is far more important than CPU speed.

Unless you've got a really slow computer just make sure you have at least the recommended amount of RAM. (Don't know what that is yet though ~ 96-128Mb (?)). Playing a game with just the minimum of RAM is frustrating.
                  I would echo that - I upgraded from 64 Mb RAM to 192 Mb RAM when CTP2 came out. There was a huge difference in game performance on my system (sadly not in AI performance though).

Hearing that Sid wanted to keep the game on the low-end in terms of system requirements is good news though.
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

I think the bare minimium will be:
                    -266Mhz
                    -64Mb RAM (mostly due to O/S constraints)
                    -4Mb video
                    -~200Mb HDD
                    -winblows 95/98/2k

but recommended will be:
                    -350Mhz
                    -96Mb RAM (again, mostly due to O/S)
                    - ? video (normally i would say 3D accelerator...but i dont think that will come into play with the way they have created the graphics)
                    -650 Mb HDD

Comment

Originally posted by Alex 14
                      - Pentium 200
                      - 32Mb Ram
                      - 2Mb Graphics Card (16-bit)
                      - Sound Card
                      This is really far to low specs for a game released 6-8 months from now: I would predict a bare minimum of:

- Pentium II 350 Mhz
                      - 128 Mb

The recommended specs would be:

- Pentium III 500 Mhz
                      - 128 Mb
                      - Graphic-card: at least TNT-2

Comment

I'll not speculate in this topic. I just hope that two of my computers at home will run it, and that you only need one CD to play multiplayer games in LAN.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

The recommended specs would be:

- Pentium III 500 Mhz
                          - 128 Mb
                          - Graphic-card: at least TNT-2

and nothing else...

Can I come over to one of your homes and play?
                          'We note that your primitive civil-^
                          ization has not even discovered^
                          $RPLC1. Do you care^
                          to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                          _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                          _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

OK, its still speculation at this point in time...

...but if the requirements are PII/350, 128 Mg RAM to be able to play Civ 3 (bare minimum), do you fork over the money to upgrade or purchase a new system????

Just curious...

Comment

I just open the TOT disk. The whole disk is only 270 MB. The original is 48.2, with another 8.56 for extended. Fantasy is 60.1, and Scifi is 61.7. Midgar just added 4.61.
                              Civ 2 MPG entire disk is only 85 MB. The scenario took up 53.1 and that leaves 32.1 for Civ 2.
                              The Original game was only about 11 Megs.
                              The Game of Civ 3 is maybe 80 to 100 Megs big. I believe some of you think this game is going to be 500 Megs or bigger, no way.
                              Summary
                              Civ 1 = about 11 megs.
                              Civ 2 = about 32.1 megs.
                              Civ 2 TOT = about 48.2 w/8.56 for extended. Total 56.76 megs.
                              Civ 3 = ?
                              Keep in mind this game is not just for us who talk about it everyday. It is for us and 3,940,000 other who will be buying the game. And if add all visitor (60/80,000?) to our site it go 4,000,000.
                              Last edited by Guest; June 4, 2001, 00:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X