Civ3 Endgame and trade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markusf
    Also since when does it matter what good your sending to another city? The only thing the demand good effects is the bonus, not the size of the route.
    OHHHH!!!! see i didn't even KNOW that!

Originally posted by markusf
    If your playing multiplayer you have no choice but to use one of these strats. All you single players would get slaughtered if you tried to play MP.
    probably so!
    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

In trying to brush away the rust, I have been combing civ2 sites for basic info and have come across the nitty-gritties of trade routes which might bear reproducing here (as I have not seen this tabling in the threads I have come across here). Source is the Scrolls of Wisdom website which acknowledged the original post by Robert Lancaster to alt.games.civ2
      "The amount of trade and the bonus payment you get for establishing a trade route between two cities with a caravan or a freight depends on quite a few factors. The formulas below contain all the details.
      Trade = ( trade of home city + trade of destination city + 4 ) / 8
      Note that it does not directly depend on city size or distance. The following (cumulative) modifiers apply:
      Both cities are yours -50%
      Freight instead of caravan +50%
      Cities connected by road +50%
      Cities connected by rail +50%
      Cities on different continents +100%
      Airports in both cities +50%
      Superhighways in home city +50%
      The one time bonus payment is calculated as follows:
      Payment = ( ( distance + 10 ) x ( trade of both cities ) ) / 24
      It increases if the destination city demands one of these goods (double these figures if the city is not yours):
      Silver, Cloth, Wine +50%
      Silk, Spice, Gems, Gold +100%
      Oil +150%
      Uranium +200%
      The final bonus payment figure is then doubled during the first 200 game turns or until both Navigation and Invention are discovered. It is reduced by one third after the discovery of Railroad, and by another third after the discovery of Flight. "
      Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
      and kill them!

Comment

In civ2 I usually build one settler to build a new city and one/two settlers to improve terrain in each city. I do this until I win the game. I've newer even thought about ICS, nor have I sent many caravans (too much work!). I welcome the new trade system in civ3, but I hope that it will still be possible to have many cities, as long as you don't use the ISC-"strategy". And another thing: What's the point in having the Sun Tzu's War academy, when your units isn't veterans any more when they're upgraded?
        We shall go on till the end,
        We shall fight in France,
        We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
        We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
        We shall defend our island,
        Whatever the cost may be,
        We shall fight on the beaches,
        We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
        We shall fight in the hills,
        We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

I agree that Firaxis should fix these problems, but I still don't use them because of the fun factor. I only play LAN multiplayer so I don't use them in multiplayer either.

I'm not sure what's the point of building a lot of the early wonders. Most of them stop their effect at an early stage. Some are still good though.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
          X