Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    I disagree.

First of all, what is the logic of having all these minor tribes violent and hostile? I distinctly recall barbarian raids were the exception instead of the norm during European Colonisation period. Heck, when the Puritans came to North America they found friendly natives.

If you feel the goodie huts are giving too big an advantage to the human players, place them further apart, or make their reaction to you directly related to your civilisation level.
    Well, the barbarians/minor tribes can be friendly, but if they're in your way you will have to destroy them. Unless you want to end up as a minor civ yourself. Friendly natives didn't last long in America. (For that matter, neither did the hostile ones.) Actually, it would be interesting to have friendly barbarians. You can grow you civ around them, but one day you will have to make the sad choice to kill them. Or maybe they would grow hostile to you as you became more powerful and as you kept kicking their units out of your city borders where their wandering disrupts your production.

I do feel goody huts give too big an advantage. I'd turn them off altogether if I could, though if this ulcer hut/minor tribe idea were implemented I'd keep that on.

Comment

hidalgo's right - if you want to become powerful, you must destroy all minor civs in your way

even though in my earlier games i would save every time i saw a hut and load the game if i didn't get a settler or advanced tribe (I was a fan of ICS) I realize this is cheap and want to play the game fair now.

And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I like the idea that if you want to get the "goodie" for the hut you first have to attack and kill the barbarians that appear from it. It could be set up so that if all the barbarians are not killed during your (or whoever relaeases them) turn, then no one can gain the goodie by killing them, now they are just regular barbarians. I also like the new resource system. I really think it will help aid in exploration and the race to get land. In the prior CIV's it didn't matter a whole lot if you did not have trade. This should make it much more important.
        DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
        EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
        AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Pilfur
          That's a great idea. Where do barbarians come from in CivII anyway?
          You see, Pilfur, when a mommy barbarian and a daddy barbarian REALLY love each other...

Comment

Originally posted by Frugal_Gourmet
            You see, Pilfur, when a mommy barbarian and a daddy barbarian REALLY love each other...
            LOL, This must've been in the uncensored Civ2 movies

Comment

LOL
              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I think SMAC had it right when it came to 'goody huts'--relatively weak units, cash, tech (same as Civ), but never a settlement or settler-type unit. You could also get the 'communications frequency' of another faction, which could work for Civ3 (think of it as your unit stumbling upon a Marco Polo-type). Pods could also generate 'special' squares on the spot (I think--or was it just serendipity all those times?), which would be cool in Civ3 and also make sense (why wouldn't a minor tribe squat on above-average territory?).
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

[SIZE=1[/SIZE]I think SMAC had it right when it came to 'goody huts'--relatively weak units, cash, tech (same as Civ), but never a settlement or settler-type unit. You could also get the 'communications frequency' of another faction, which could work for Civ3 (think of it as your unit stumbling upon a Marco Polo-type). Pods could also generate 'special' squares on the spot (I think--or was it just serendipity all those times?), which would be cool in Civ3 and also make sense (why wouldn't a minor tribe squat on above-average territory?).
                  If you remember correctly, the tech was only good until the 3rd level of discovery and then no more new tech. You would sometime gain a old car and once in awhile you gain money (energy) but most of the time you got the bugs and lots of them.

I like the goody huts as they are. I hope they do not change them for the most part. The only change I would not mind is "maybe" the new city hut.
                  However with the new resource system you may very well need that new city to control the resources.

Comment

If you remember correctly, the tech was only good until the 3rd level of discovery and then no more new tech. You would sometime gain a old car and once in awhile you gain money (energy) but most of the time you got the bugs and lots of them.

Absolutely! Just as in Civ2, where Invention puts an end to the free tech gravy-train, there is a built-in stop in SMAC--as it should be. Techs should be worked for, not gifted through the popping of some cyber-pinata. I even like the fact that pods seem to get more worm-infested as time goes on--it gives the player yet another reason to clear them up earlier rather than later.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There should be the option of bribing the barb huts or "assimilating" them somehow. thus, if you stumble across non-hostile barbs, then you just pay X gold to assimilate them. It costs less gold if your culture rating is higher. This way, you don't have to destroy them, but you can if you want.
                      But there should be very hostile barb towns that you must destroy or they get more virulent and powerful over time and start pillaging your land. Those ones you must destroy and you get rewards for those.

No settlers, no instant cities, no techs. But maybe a few units, some gold, some resource they're sitting on, maybe an instant colony (that's realistic and a good reward for conquest), and that commlink frequency idea from SMAC is really good too!
                      Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                      Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                      Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                      Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                      X