Losing Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnelos

Actually, Firaxis HQ is a good distance away from the Pentagon (though that may just be from my perspective, since I live about 2 miles from the Pentagon) and I doubt most of the people there personally knew people killed in the attack there. That said, the PROFOUND impact that 9/11 had on the psyche of this metropolitan area in its aftermath cannot be discounted.
    True, it is about 60 miles (I know, I drive by both on the way to work, and I do know quite a few people who were in the Pentagon at the time). I guess when both are on your commute you think of them as close (difference of perspective, I think of anything within a hundred or so miles as right down the road).
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I didn't know you were in Northern Virginia, WarpStorm. I've worked on several IT contracts at the Pentagon and US Treasury over the past few years. I drive by the Pentagon on a regular basis.

I didn't know Firaxis had an office in the area...
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by spy14

Pity, a good virus might improve them!

Warpstorms point about Firaxis and 9/11 is a good one. Terrorism is too close to us all for comfort, and a lot of people dont want it represented in a Civ game.
        That doesn't make too much sense. How would a good virus improve the Apple computers?

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
          True, it is about 60 miles (I know, I drive by both on the way to work, and I do know quite a few people who were in the Pentagon at the time). I guess when both are on your commute you think of them as close (difference of perspective, I think of anything within a hundred or so miles as right down the road).
          I was glad I worked in the A-ring (thats the ring closest to the center for those who haven't been there). I had another office in the E-ring (outer ring).
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

NM, I think it is accurate to say that C3C really reinvigorated Civ for me and a lot of others I have seen posting here. It's good that you seem to be getting back into SP a little, and perhaps the SPDG as well, Feudal or not. However if you get the chance (perhaps on a friend's computer?) to try C3C, I strongly suggest you do. It might convert you a little from Macs.

Although I would have liked to have concepts like covert sabotage etc operations on other civs in Civ3, I believe it was the best choice to make to remove anything like that at the time. Now however, terrorism and the like, however terrible, is a part of life in this decade for ALL of us, and would be a good inclusion in the next iteration of Civ, IMO. It should be a menace to be defended against, and if the option is made available to use, it should come with potentially terrible consequences for the user, as nuclear war does in Civ right now.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Re: Re: I believe

Originally posted by Arnelos

Actually, it should be noted that the ability to poison the water supply or otherwise commit terrorism on other civilizations in Civilization III was removed from the game before it went to retailers in October 2001 only a month after the September 11th attacks.
              Never knew that - very interesting, thanks Arnelos. That might have added a nice extra element to the game.

Take it with a pinch of salt though.....any new element of complexity they add to the game must be accompanied by a very well thought out set of AI algorithms to deal with it, or the human will easily outsmart the computer yet again!
              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Well, my Civ gaming sessions usually go in cycles where my interest waxes and wanes. In fact, my entire gaming existence is governed by these cycles, in which my interest in various games (Civ, MoO, Total War) waxes and wanes over the months. Right now, I'm in a MoO III phase, with Civ and TW beinbg at a low. In a couple of weeks, either Civ or TW will begin to rise again and MoO will begin to lower. Of course I play other games, but these are usuaslly one shot games, in which I play them once, then forget about them for a year or so before playing them again. It's a neverending circle! It's the Circle of Games (insert Lion King music*!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                  NM, I think it is accurate to say that C3C really reinvigorated Civ for me and a lot of others I have seen posting here. It's good that you seem to be getting back into SP a little, and perhaps the SPDG as well, Feudal or not. However if you get the chance (perhaps on a friend's computer?) to try C3C, I strongly suggest you do. It might convert you a little from Macs.
                  I have actually played C3C on a friends computer and I really like it. I think I have decided to get a PC laptop next year. Can anyone recommend a good one for a price of $2000-3000 Canadian?

Comment

Heh... I didn't know WarpStorm lived in the DC area either. Seems we have quite a number of 'poly posters living here. Perhaps a 'poly meet in the "Capital of the Free World" one of these days.
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Perhaps at one of the conventions that pass through the area.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Perhaps even Northern Virginia BYOL (bring your own laptop) Meeting for a quick game of C3C multiplayer at a coffee shop with free wireless connectivity.

A good idea for anyone that has lost interest in Civ3! (you see, all my postings aren't spam or way off topic )

Comment

They are, because the thread is about ME losing interest. Not for anyone in general

Comment

Okay substitute "Northern Virginia" with your own locale.

*Shogun has substituted "anyone in general" for "ME" Problem solved - thread on topic.

Comment

Your a sneaky spammer. Be proud of that

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                                Perhaps even Northern Virginia BYOL (bring your own laptop) Meeting for a quick game of C3C multiplayer at a coffee shop with free wireless connectivity.

A good idea for anyone that has lost interest in Civ3! (you see, all my postings aren't spam or way off topic )
                                Heh... pardon me as I lug my tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a gazillion cables for my destop.

(I really need to invest in a laptop one of these days...)
                                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                                X