No announcement yet.

Losing Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What virus? I have never had one. Put up a firewall, get Norton and you should be good to go.

Comment

I avoid virus problems on my PC by almost never being online with it (other than to get all those bleepin' security updates from MS). I don't bother with sharing files among my computers -- I just use a USB drive to give my PC the civ files that my Mac downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
        Owning a Mac is more of a lifestyle choice, like being gay. It appeals to a few for some reason despite price and software availability (Mac ownership that is ).
        And here I thought both were genetically based. I know I've tried to convince Mac users of their silliness but most are so stubborn that I just figured it must be something you're born with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          I avoid virus problems on my PC by almost never being online with it (other than to get all those bleepin' security updates from MS). I don't bother with sharing files among my computers -- I just use a USB drive to give my PC the civ files that my Mac downloaded.
          Why don't I quite believe you?
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master

Maybe for asthetic reasons, the fact that you can't get all these crappy viruses, more user-friendly, it hardly ever freezes, and it has better programs for the work place.
            It hardly ever freezes because overall it dosnt have to do much. Anyway, XP hardly ever freezes, despite the bad press. This is going to turn into a long thread isnt it?
            "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Back to Nuclear Master's subject about losing interest . . .
              There is nothing wrong with losing interest in the game. It happens to me and I put it aside for awhile. So far, I keep coming back to it a few weeks later. What often happens is that I start reading the Civ Strategy forum and get ideas ("Why didn't I ever think of that? Must try it."). Or I'm stuck in traffic and I think even a boring game of Civ would be better than this. Before long I'm playing again.
              Conquests did help revive interest quite a bit, but that can't help you right now. So take a break, read the strategy forum, and get stuck in traffic.
              "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I find that I drift between having a great deal of interest in games of Civ (typically PBEM games) and little to no interest. When my interest wanes, I just go play RPG's, RTS's, or action games for a while. Eventually, I always come back.

That said, even when my interest is relatively low, I try to keep my PBEM games moving.
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                  I find that I drift between having a great deal of interest in games of Civ (typically PBEM games) and little to no interest. When my interest wanes, I just go play RPG's, RTS's, or action games for a while. Eventually, I always come back.
                  Same here.

I find I'm actually burned out on SP civ a lot. But my interest in demogames and my PBEMs is pretty constant.

Comment

I believe

Just for myself, Watching the recent news kinda plays out like some nightmarish Civ scenario gone horribly wrong. (I'll bet terrorism as a game element is an oversight soon to be corrected in Civ 4.)

Unfortunately there is no reset in real life to unscrew yourself after one of those "DOH!" moments of international stupidity that everyone here in this forum must admit doing at least once in your Civilization history.

I know that after seeing the last few months of the debacle of Iraq I can't help but thinking "I've done better myself". World domination doesn't really do it for me at the moment.

It's the little things, for instance, everybody here knows "liberated" [read captured] citizens are never really quite as "happy" as your own citizens so you're left with a simple decision of either treat them humanely and properly or liquidate them, however, this is not really a viable option in the real world but, I'm really disappointed for this in the middle, treat folks attrociously and still expect them to respect you in the morning kinda things. Fish or cut bait.

I'm sure it's just temporary. It won't be long before the irresistable pull of manifest destiny brings me back to Civ!

Respects,

J

Comment

I am a bit tempted to start a game, but I am just worried about time...

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator And here I thought both were genetically based. I know I've tried to convince Mac users of their silliness but most are so stubborn that I just figured it must be something you're born with.
                        It took the PC world 15 years to realize the the Mac OS is a vastly superior computer interface, and it took them that long to copy it...
                        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

*Shogun Gunner resists the tempatation to join the PC vs Mac debate
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Re: I believe

Originally posted by joe08536
                            Just for myself, Watching the recent news kinda plays out like some nightmarish Civ scenario gone horribly wrong. (I'll bet terrorism as a game element is an oversight soon to be corrected in Civ 4.)
                            Actually, it should be noted that the ability to poison the water supply or otherwise commit terrorism on other civilizations in Civilization III was removed from the game before it went to retailers in October 2001 only a month after the September 11th attacks.

Given some other decisions on taste that Firaxis has made concerning Civ3 (concerning the Fascism government choice in C3C in particular), I'd bet that much of state-sponsored terrorism stays out of the game. Whether they decide to include non-state terrorism that all civilizations have to deal with as a generalized menace, on the other hand, is another issue entirely. In other words, both literally and figuratively, terrorism could become the "barbarian attacks" of the Modern Era, controlled by no civilization but potentially becoming a menace to them all.
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master

Maybe for asthetic reasons, the fact that you can't get all these crappy viruses, more user-friendly, it hardly ever freezes, and it has better programs for the work place.
                              Like other software, most hackers feel writing Mac viruses is a waste of time.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Re: I believe

Originally posted by Arnelos

Given some other decisions on taste that Firaxis has made concerning Civ3 (concerning the Fascism government choice in C3C in particular), I'd bet that much of state-sponsored terrorism stays out of the game. Whether they decide to include non-state terrorism that all civilizations have to deal with as a generalized menace, on the other hand, is another issue entirely. In other words, both literally and figuratively, terrorism could become the "barbarian attacks" of the Modern Era, controlled by no civilization but potentially becoming a menace to them all.
                                You may be correct about Firaxis' opinion on this matter. To me, the removal of "poision water supply" was a step in the wrong direction. Instead of trying to be politically correctly, more options should be added to give the game greater flavor.

to Firaxis if they took that feature out just because 9/11 occurred.
                                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                                X