No announcement yet.

Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting forrests help! In most cases, the global warming will aim for forrests and jungles first. After I started to plant forrests in tiles that no city owned, the problem was almost eliminated for my part as the forrest could be replanted in one turn and grasslands/ plains was never touched anymore

Comment

Global warming has enough of an effect to make me mod the game. I wont get involved in a nuclear exchange though as the global warming goes ape (i have no idea how realistic this is, i think a nuclear winter is some sort of dust cloud )
      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

A nuclear winter is where the smoke, dust and radiation from a wide-scale nuclear war is enough to blot out the sun, or make it very dim. A similar example is when a there is a very large volcanic explosion. The dust cloud reaches into the stratosphere, where its carryed alof for hundreds, even thousands of miles, darkening the sky in its trail. Nuclear explosions easily send tons of material up into the middle-atmosphere, where it is easily spread and held alof by jet streams,ect.

It would, technically..require ALOT of bombs to make a nuclear winter happen. I would think the radiation from all those bombs would kill much faster...
        RawR

Comment

Originally posted by Blademun
          It would, technically..require ALOT of bombs to make a nuclear winter happen. I would think the radiation from all those bombs would kill much faster...
          Lets see them include death by radiation poisoning in Civ 4.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Ok now we need a glowing population icon.....shesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Johnson
              Ok now we need a glowing population icon.....shesh.
              Reminds me of my glow-in-the-dark "I survived Three Mile Island" t-shirt.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                Reminds me of my glow-in-the-dark "I survived Three Mile Island" t-shirt.
                Clever
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Nah. Radioactive fallout is unlikely to cause the sort of ecological collapse that a proper nuclear winter would. Cancer rates would get horrid, true, but the real damage would be from the actual blasts (since they'd hit population centres and wipe out millions) and form any nuclear winter, which would amount to a miniature ice age.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I handled the global warming effects by making pollution reversible. I modded the civ3.bic file so that deserts will go to jungle when they are affected by GW. This way, workers can then change the jungles back into grasslands. It's a cycle, so that the world doesn't change to all desert.

Comment

I missed being able to terraform like in Civ2.

Comment

Working...
                      X