Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming

The whole pollution thing in Civ is overdone, with irreversable and all to frequent terrain changes. I've modded my Civ3 to make buildings like banks reduce pollution to minimise the effects, but I think it needs to be a far smaller problem in Civ4.

Most people have heard the theory that the sun is currently going through an active cycle and in 60 years time we'll all be worrying about global cooling, and now i've seen an interesting new theory at http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...eut/index.html

I'm no scientist, but I do think theres enough evidence to reduce pollution effects in Civ4!!!

Please.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

heh. Join the chorus.

The problem is that when creating a game, the designers of the game will create reality however they see it, not necessarily as reality exists.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Exactly besides I agree that perhaps is way too much pollution in Civ, I think reallity have nothing to do when the designers decide what to do with pollution.

anyway we should start a anti-pollution and anti-corruption movement here in poly. Those darn things are the things I hate the most in civ.
      >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

It was reversible in Civ2, I never understood why they didn't leave it that way.

I've changed my game so that pollution has no global warming effects, because they made it an all-or-nothing proposition, and I don't care how well I was doing or how much fun I was having, those first few ruined tiles always depressed me and ruined the fun.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

If it were still possible to change terrain types (as in Civ2 with engineering) it would be different.

BECAUSE YOU COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Re: Global Warming

Originally posted by spy14
            The whole pollution thing in Civ is overdone, with irreversable and all to frequent terrain changes. I've modded my Civ3 to make buildings like banks reduce pollution to minimise the effects, but I think it needs to be a far smaller problem in Civ4.

Most people have heard the theory that the sun is currently going through an active cycle and in 60 years time we'll all be worrying about global cooling, and now i've seen an interesting new theory at http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...eut/index.html

I'm no scientist, but I do think theres enough evidence to reduce pollution effects in Civ4!!!

Please.
            I have eliminated pollution from the game, its just a pain in the butt to clean up.

Also global warming apparently only happens to grassland,plains terrain(well it also happens to forest and jungle squares, but then only to take out the forest or Jungle, so maybe a hedge against Global warming would be to forest all non city radius squares)

Comment

Not practical about the forests! Corruptions another good point, I tend to set the slider down to about 40% in all of my games.
              "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Okay, going off memory here, but I'm almost positive I've seen it change tundra to grassland. This would've been pre-C3C, possibly pre-PTW and obviously many patches ago, but I vaguely remember sitting bolt upright and asking myself "Why the hell am I foresting all my tundras if they can actually be turned into useful tiles?!?"

I still forest all my tundra eventually, btw, just because I like the "arctic forest" look.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

And, of course, because it's more productive. Tundra scores.

I miss a bonus tile with polar bears... I think. Don't remember if Civ2 actually had one. I think I confounded it with the old bonus "fur".

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                    Okay, going off memory here, but I'm almost positive I've seen it change tundra to grassland. This would've been pre-C3C, possibly pre-PTW and obviously many patches ago, but I vaguely remember sitting bolt upright and asking myself "Why the hell am I foresting all my tundras if they can actually be turned into useful tiles?!?"

I still forest all my tundra eventually, btw, just because I like the "arctic forest" look.
                    Actually, I recently played on an almost all tundra map (which I made on purpose that way) with a Future Era game. After a nuclear war and after removing a lot of the forest, global warming slowly started to terraform my planet for me.

When on a tundra planet: "Use nukes, save the planet!"

Comment

Wouldn't you just get desert?
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        Wouldn't you just get desert?
                        Eventually. Ever played an agricultural civ?

Comment

I think the polar resources were seals......

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                            Actually, I recently played on an almost all tundra map (which I made on purpose that way) with a Future Era game. After a nuclear war and after removing a lot of the forest, global warming slowly started to terraform my planet for me.

When on a tundra planet: "Use nukes, save the planet!"
                            Not only on a tundra planet. If milking a game for a high score (not my beef, some do), "nuke the river" is a good way to increase the food base for a higher population. Pollution isn't a problem anymore, since the workers don't have anything else to do anymore and clean the mess in a few turns.

Comment

Can't say I've ever got more than a handful of tiles converted by global warming in a CivIII game. Never has it influenced any significant game decisions for me.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X