Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gramphos
    Oh, and just FYI: the SNES processor runs at 3.58 MHz
    That's not so bad. My old Atari only had 1 MHz!
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

SNES was actually slower than the Genesis (which was older).

most of the first generation SNES games had major slowdown problems with many enemies on screen and it received a lot of criticism for it until developers finally learned how to get around it.

... and I have no clue what that has to do with this thread...
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
        SNES was actually slower than the Genesis (which was older).

most of the first generation SNES games had major slowdown problems with many enemies on screen and it received a lot of criticism for it until developers finally learned how to get around it.

... and I have no clue what that has to do with this thread...
        It's called a threadjack. I'd think YOU would be intimately familiar with the concept.

And so this post isn't COMPLETELY wasted, my commentary on the subject is that the only thing you can really do to speed up play is to turn off all of the animations. At least that's the only thing I've noticed to consistently speed up play.

Personally, I prefer to keep animations on and just cope with it being a bit slow.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

oh one more thing.

Civ3 is terribly coded. Even if you have a monster machine (like a P 3.0 with 1 GB of RAM for example) games on large maps with lots of civs will slow the game down tremendously, so much that turns in the industrial age can take between 10-15 minutes.

AFAIK there's no real way around it.
          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Hold down the SHIFT key while the computer is moving its' units around, that'll speed things up.

Comment

oh one more thing.

Civ3 is terribly coded. Even if you have a monster machine (like a P 3.0 with 1 GB of RAM for example) games on large maps with lots of civs will slow the game down tremendously, so much that turns in the industrial age can take between 10-15 minutes.

Games generally are now, programmers are spoiled with hugely powerful machines to work towards, so instead of optimising code they optimise profits. I remember an old Atari 2600 game (about 15 years back I played it, so the name escapes me) but it was a long play and its size was 100kb. Compare that to some of the 5 gig installs of today.
              "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Try adding "NoAIPatrol=1" to the .ini file. Helps some.

(I'm not 100% positive that's the right line, but I'm sure someone's gonna correct me if I'm wrong!)

Oh, and the computer players in Civ are not normally refered to as NPCs - we call them AIs.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

.kriger is only 96Kb

I run a 2.8ghz P4 on only 512mb of ram. I really don't know what your talking about. I'd say it only takes the ais in my games maybe 4-5 minutes to finish up their turns. Yes, btw, I play with the full 16 civs on huge maps.

I have Civ3 Gold Edition.

I'd recommend makeing sure your fully patched up. Then, I'd recomend getting a stop watch. Sometiems what feels like 10 minutes really...isn't.
                  RawR

Comment

oh one more thing.

That is sort of true. I tried in the huge AU game to see how bad it would get. There was 24 civs on huge (250x250) map and I did not kill off any civs until very late in the game to see how bad it would get.

It did get from 1 min to 25 mins very late.

I played a huge (160x160) map with 9 civs archipelago and it never got more than 2 minutes, even though some civs had more than 1000 units.

This was on 3.066GH, 1GB raptor 10k hard drive on XP PRO.

Comment

It seems high civ counts matter more than high numbers of units and/or cities. The fact that wiping out a harbour causes the game to halt for an appreciable amount of time (on my Celeron 2.0GHz) when there are many civs in the game suggests that checking trade routes may partially account for that.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

A Celeron is going to lag more anyway (admit it!!), but all the same the game can be excessively slow at times considering the amount of work its doing
                        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Working...
                        X