Time scale ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time scale ?

is there a cvar for speeding up fps? most games have this and i'd really like it for this game, im so used to playing civilization 1 for snes on an emulator with 10x fps . im very impatient ... lol

Que?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

de nada
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I am not following the question here at all. FPS, if that stands for frames per second, what do you care about it for? This is a TBS game, if it is moving slowing it is not a function of the video rate.

Time scales to me means how many years each turn represents, is this what you are asking about? If so it is set in the editor and can be changed or discovered.

How fast a turn plays out is controlled by the CPU and the map settings and events. Large maps with more civs and lots of water will take longer as they need more cpu. Large wars also can slow things down as well as the animation settings.

Comment

cvar?

as for slowing, just bung in some extra ram. and a processor as well if your budgets bigger than mine
          "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

im talking about speeding up the game... not because my computer is a piece of ****. I just built a beast... i mean is there a way to speed up everything in the game. heres an example. in the game savage if you type in timescale 3 everything speeds up real fast. it makes the game go 3x faster all npcs run around super fast, and building things takes a second. was wondering if civilization had a command like that.
            Last edited by Diocide; May 10, 2004, 18:20.

Comment

No, there are many games that have that feature, such as Stun and others. Those games are not true turn based games, but rather real time with a part of the game done in turn base.

Comment

You can turn off all/some animations in the preferences. You can also turn off viewing some/all moves. This will speed things up somewhat.

Comment

damn ok. but the npc's in civilization 3 when its there turn could go way way faster. ive noticed when you dont see any npcs at all and your just starting, it goes to your turn almost instantly because it doesnt play the animations for the other npcs. turning off animations in prefrences still doesnt seem to make it go faster. there still seems to be a time limiter for each turn of the npcs.

Comment

That time is the time it takes your CPU to process all of the AI calculations. It's less for smaller maps. It takes longer as the game progresses because the game is becoming more complex.

Comment

theres still a limit. like for snes i play civilization 1 with an emulator and it still takes a while, but i can speed it up with the emulator and its instant. if i had a 10ghz cpu it would still go the same speed. theres a limit and thats what im trying to get rid of with a timescale command.

Comment

I don't know the programming so I can't say for sure but I really think there isn't a limit. Civ 1 is much less complex than Civ3. I know that Civ3 runs much faster on my current computer than it did on the computer I had when I bought Civ3 in 2001.

Comment

An emulator for old software designed to run an old hardware is quite different from running Civ3. Your comp simply reaches its limit on how fast it can crunch AI decisions (however it makes them), how fast it can pathfind for AI units, and how fast it can calculate the production round.

If you want inter-turn calcs to take less time, try smaller maps and fewer civs.

Comment

Speeding up an emulator is more like what would happen if SNES had a better processor. The emulator by defaults will try to emulate the hardware as exact as possible for the original thing, puting in its own limits. The limits in Civ3 is your own based on all the math the AI has to do to know what to do next. This increases with the number of cities units the AI have as well as the number of contacts the AI have. There is also some calculations in the upkeep part of turns that depend on the total number of cities as corruption calculation.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Oh, and just FYI: the SNES processor runs at 3.58 MHz
                              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                              X