No announcement yet.

The Most Stupidest Thing AI Ever Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with vmxa about realism...and fortunately, so is Sid.
    I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. In the real world, the deck is always stacked.....and so it is at Sid level!
      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Like existant / non-existant caches of WMD??
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

what is WMD?
          Game is just for Fun. Dont play the game if its not fun for you - binyo66 :)

Comment

Well, WMD is George Bush's favorite word.

Of course, he hasn't used it since he invaded Iraq.

WMD stands for weapons of mass destruction.

Georgie Porgie decided to declare war on Iraq on the basis that they had, or were about to have, WMD, as if we don't have thousands ourselves!

Anyway, as I and a many other people already knew, Iraq had no WMD.

So there's my rant on WMD,
            Dan O.

Comment

Oh yeah, in case you don't know what weapons of mass destruction are, it's a generic term for anything chemical, biological, or nuclear that is designed to cause mass casualties, as I understand it.

Funny, how a 200,000 pound bomb dropped on an unsuspecting Iraqi or Taliban divison in the middle of the night is called just a "weapon" and not a "weapon of mass destruction."

There's my rant on weapons of mass destruction,
              Dan O.

Comment

I don't know about the realism issue, but having an upstart civ suddenly declare war does add unexpected spice and complications in a game.

Recently had a similar one as bought up in the original post. I was cruising for a cultural win. I was bigger than anybody else. I was tending to my economy like a gardener, and having builder-style fun doing it. After one if my turns, with no provocation that I knew of, Japan declares war. Suddenly there is a single unit in the middle of my empire, right next to my capitol. What?? I had to guess it was a paratrooper, because I have never used them and never seen them used, which made the situation even more interesting. Another reason I had to guess about its identity is that it attacked my capitol and promptly lost to a small stack of Mech Infantry that lived there. That was the whole of their invasion. Other than pretending it was a botched state-supported act of terrorism, I couldn't make the move realistic in my mind. However, I was then embroiled in a war that impacted my carefree empire cultivation. I could envision Japan getting together an alliance and making a nuisance of themselves, maybe even a real nuisance. Japan itself was too small to worry about, but some of its potential allies could be a real pain.

So I put together my own alliance by giving away one or two techs I didn't worry about and left others to whittle down Japanese holdings while I beelined for their one luxury and the uranium deposit I didn't have. After taking what I wanted, I waited inside my new borders, lessening War Wearines accumulation and letting my new allies remove Japan from the world.

Peace happened, turns clicked by, and I got the Culture victory I had been aiming for.

It wasn't realistic, and it didn't make tactical sense, and it failed miserably as far as the Japanese were concerned, but it did cause me to have to react and make alternative plans and challenge my compacency of building for culture. (It also gave me a chance to use some Modern Armor which were invented during the war effort. Builder personality lets that conqeror gleam shine in his eyes and sinister smile shape his lips. Fun!)

The world of Civ is not the world of the Earth as we know it, not even if you use one of the excellent world maps available. The world of Civ is similar to that of Earth, but it has different rules. For the most part, the tribes are a bit more militant than human history, especially if the player does anything to encourage such behavior. The economics and politics are different. Civ is one of those alternate-universe stories where the question "What would be different?" is asked. The answer is that a lot would be different while a lot "felt" the same. If I were a world leader in this universe, and used the same principles and actions as I do in Civ, I would be vilified and laughed at even more than Mr. Bush is.

So, the game is not entirely realistic, and neither am I.

(But they are SO dumb some times, aren't they?)
                If you aren't confused,
                You don't understand.

Comment

Good post, eris.

On another note: I assume that all AI civs have WMD and are hiding them from me... ALWAYS.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Say, why are all Civ WMD's of the nucular variety anyway?
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Eris, I had a similar experience in my game.

I was going for either culture or space victory, though I think I will get culture first, when out of nowhere the Mayans attacked.

Here's the stupid way they carried it out. The put on archer on a galleon, and sent it with two frigates across the ocean. Then, they made a point of it to go around all of my east coast down to my south-western coast. They proceeded by sending about 4 such groups down to the exact same spot.

Now here comes the kicker. I had just finished planning a very small amphibious assault on a very small Mayan settlement on the NW coast of the same continent, about 7 turns by transport from my nearest coastal city. But I had just built 4 marines to do the job. Quickly I attacked all invading forces, and put off the amphibious assault for a few turns.

The thing is, they decieved me entirely. They never really posed a big threat, but they had more of a force than I imagined.

They then came in to my NE coast with about 25 frigates, and I still had to deal with another 15-20 that were just off my southern shore.

Having about 50,000 gold (yeah, I like money!) I rushed about 3 battleships, 7 destroyers, and 5 cruisers. The bulk of these went to the southern coast to keep them from traveling freely on that coast.

As for the 25 frigates on my NE coast, I rushed about 15 bombers. I think it cost about 5k, because a lot of the cites were already working on something. Anyway, bombed all the nearby frigates, and then sent out a cruiser to spot the rest. Then I bombed the heck out of the city their wounded ships were hiding in. The entire fleet was gone in 3 turns.

Anyway, long story short, the AI may not be able to conquer a builder nation in the late ages, especially when it is a full age behind, but it does add to the game. It makes you rethink your strategy.

By the way, I did eventually take out the settlement I was aiming for. I immediatley rushed a harbor to get the aluminum I needed.

It is funny though how such a weak nation can make such a larger nation change it's playing style. This I suppose does relate to reality. I mean, whoever thought that 19 poeple from various nations could change the course of history forever? I mean, had we not been attacked, we would not have invaded Afghanistan or Iraq. Likewise, we may have attacked North Korea instead. North Korea is known to have nuclear missles, and will have more by the end of the year. Also it won't be long before they are capable of reaching our west coast. And it won't be long after that that they could reach the midwest and east coast. They say the only state that will be safe from North Korea's nuclear missles in 2010 will be Maine. Already they could attack Hawaii if the wanted to.

Anyway, I think I've typed too much,
                      Dan O.

Comment

North Korea is economically screwed. The best defense against them at this point in time might be a few dirty tactics to make the country implode. Of course, they might still launch...

Difficult one George W!
                        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Back to topic.....here's a good one:

I'm at war with the Inca, then Spain joins in against me to create a second front I'm not strong enough to defend. Then the Iroquois, Celts and Aztecs all cascade into war against me. I sign peace with Spain, manage to take a second Inca city with my final strength, then make peace with the Incas.

Meanwhile, the Aztecs have marched on my first Inca capture, their former capital with the Pyramids, which by now has been reduced to a single regular Spearman defender since my victorious troops were diverted to take the second city.

The Aztecs refused all attempts to talk....then when they had 2 Swordsmen and an Archer ready to overwhelm my defending Spearmen, Montezuma calls me up and demands Feudalism for peace. This is what he eventually agreed to:
                          Attached Files
                          So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                          Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
                          X