Spearman vs. Tank Probability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearman vs. Tank Probability

Clearly the Spearman vs Tank issue has ignited great passion among the Civ-playing population. As much profound thought has gone into whether the current combat system is appropriate, and if not what better alternatives there are, the time is ripe for a poll to gauge popular opinion. Stand (err... type) and be counted!
    -bvc
    Never
    28.10%
    More rarely than in the present Civ3 combat system
    12.40%
    Very rarely, as per present Civ3 combat system
    37.19%
    Always
    10.74%
    I don't know, but the combat system sucks
    4.13%
    Depends on the bananas
    7.44%

I voted never, which is how often I have seen it in the last 20-24 months.
    I thought I was going to have a chance yesterday. A spear showed up at a city full of tanks. The sender must have send it long ago from another contient or something. I actually hit it with an elite calv.

Comment

Very rarely, as is currently the case in CivIII.

Frankly, the loss of a Tank to a spearman is more likely to make me laugh than actually get upset, because if I've got Tanks and the opposition has spearmen, I'm kicking some serious ass anyway.

Far more irritating (though fine from the perspective of the combat system) was what happened to me last night: attack regular warrior with elite mounted warrior. Elite mounted warrior loses 5 straight combat rounds and dies, regular warrior unscathed.

That pissed me off. But **** happens in war, and I'm willing to accept it. The next elite MW killed the pesky warrior (though my MW lost 3 hp, IIRC, so that warrior took a total of 8hps of attacking MWs!).

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

As much as people complain about this, it's never happened in one of my games. So I would be inclined to just leave it alone.

OT: And a Happy Birthday @ vmxa1....
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Arrian sed:
          the loss of a Tank to a spearman is more likely to make me laugh than actually get upset
          Skywalkers' avatar illustrates this nicely.
          Attached Files

Comment

beat me to it

I voted "always"

Comment

If it happens, it happens. I'd laugh at it too. I have however been irritated when losing elite knights to regular warriors unfortified on grassland. That happened in AU208 (Apolyton University course 208) and was part of a long string of depressing RNG defeats.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
                If it happens, it happens. I'd laugh at it too. I have however been irritated when losing elite knights to regular warriors unfortified on grassland. That happened in AU208 (Apolyton University course 208) and was part of a long string of depressing RNG defeats.
                Lies.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Back! Back, foul troll!

:makes sign to ward off evil:

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Back! Back, foul troll!

:makes sign to ward off evil:

-Arrian
                    Just take your own advice and ignore him. Let him go back to Utah and troll them.

You CAN laugh at him though. It amazes me how many people think they're funny when they troll.
                    Last edited by Rhothaerill; January 27, 2004, 17:37.

Comment

Don't don't troll to be funny.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

" OT: And a Happy Birthday @ vmxa1.... "

Thanks, she who must be obeyed as proclaimed no gaming tonight and is forcing me to go out to dinner. Oh well it will be another year before I have to do it again.

Comment

I think it should be rarer, in that I think the combat points should go up exponentially like someone suggested. I think it is realistic that a spearman could kill a tank (maybe he's quick, or puts his spear into the gas tank), but it should be incredably rare. I think it should even be rare for an archer to be able to kill a medieval infantry on a mountain, or for a medieval infantry to lose to an archer on open ground with no fortifying.
                          I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Although I truly am fine with the current combat system, I just HAD to vote for bananas.

There's all this justification about tank traps, molotov cocktails, etc. Screw that... the crafty Spearman snuck up in the middle of the night, crammed a bunch of banana peels in the tank's gas tank, and put the pointy end of the stick in the driver when he got out to figure out what the heck was going on.

(The Spearman obviously being a 'poly regular.)

C'mon Tass... admit it: even you would think of such if caught in such an imbalanced situation. You'd check with your Spearmen comrades, do a quick poll about what to do, include a banana option as a matter of habit, and VOILA, problem solved.

Enough said.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

happens so rare hard to think of it once happening...
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X