Turns in Anarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns in Anarchy

When I start a revolution with a non-religious civ I will always spend some turns in anarchy before I can choose a new type of government.

Does anyone know the details on how long anarchy will last? By experience I have found that larger empires will stay longer in anarchy.

Just for testing I started a revolution in a regent c3c game and was told it were gonna take 6 turns. I then reloaded the game, built a city, then started a revolution and then had to spend 7 turns in anarcy.. Appearantly hit some treshold there.

Details anyone, please?

BTW, if you happen to have an 'old' formula for vanilla civ3 or ptw I will happily accept that as well
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

I'm not positive, but I believe that the number of turns is randomly generated and not definitely linked to empire size. I've had huge empires and only been in anarchy for 5 turns, and I've done the despotism-to-republic switch early in the game and had 7 turn anarchy.

Jesse from Firaxis posted recent to say that said they were looking to weigh the roll so that most anarchy periods last 3-5 turns.
    They don't get no stranger.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Are there "oedo years" in Civ3 or is it a more complex formula now?
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

No oedo years in CivIII, no. I thought it was 3-7 years for non-religious civs, with larger civs having a higher chance at longer anarchy.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Stranger
          Jesse from Firaxis posted recent to say that said they were looking to weigh the roll so that most anarchy periods last 3-5 turns.
          I'd really appreciate this change. At the moment, a second government switch (besides 'get the hell out of despotism') is almost never worth it for non-religious civs.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

It's all a result of the RNG then?

'Oedo years' What's that? Another way of saying it is a formula hidden behind somewhere?

Comment

oedo years, IIRC, were discovered by a poster named oedo - in CivII, every fourth turn was a year in which a revolution would only take 1 turn. So if you revolted at the right time, you had 1 turn anarchy, but if you did it the next turn, you were in for 3 turns of anarchy.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Wow, thought I knew just about everythng about civ2 by now...you learn something every day I guess, even if that particular piece of knowledge is a bit redundant now

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Stranger
                  So, they're nerfing Religious too?!
                  They've toned-down most of the other traits, why not Religious too?

Ok, so I'm ranting a little bit. Religious would still be 'better' than without it, like Industrial and Commercial traits. (or did they actually beef-up Commercial????)

Whatever the possible outcome, I will either find a way to play w/ the new rules, or I will mod my own.

Steven
                  "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Obviosuly someone who's never had a 9-turn period of anarchy (I'm sure it was 9...)
                    Anyway, on average, my anarchy lasts around 8 turns. BADLY needed. The fact that some folks refuse to leave their religious civs prove this
                    It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                    She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Haven't been so bad if you knew how it worked, then you could time your revolutions better. Even shortened it a bit, once you knew the deciding factors.

Comment

Here's what I do:

1. Wait til the end of turn.

2. Save game.

3. Go to Happiness Advisor.

4. Choose a revolution, and the advisor will say "We're in a state of Anarchy right now. It's touch and go; we should have a gov in about X turns."

5. If X is more than 5, than reload from that Save and play another turn before trying again.

Anarchy can last anywhere from 3 to 7 turns.
                        One OS to rule them all,
                        One OS to find them,
                        One OS to bring them all
                        and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

So...it is random...?

Reloading isn't always an option, right now I'm playing a PBEM and I'm trying to get an overview over how many turns I can except to spend in anarchy before I start the revolt. Guess I just have to close my eyes, point at a date and start the revolution then. I can then open the old saves, and try to find a pattern(if one exist)

Comment

Kind of a formula for non-religious civs:

3 + a number between 1 and 5 (I think it depends on how large your empire is)

4 turns is the minimum number of turns for non-religious civs in anarchy.
                            The loneliness of the long distance runner

Comment

Iron Jackson - where did this formula come from? is it your own observations or did you see this elsewhere?
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X