No announcement yet.

Hullo fellas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need more workers me thinks.. 4 -5 just not enough..

i usually churn out my settlers and if near an ai a defender too. then a worker for every city minimum. usually i average 2-3 workers per city and can match the settler development of ai pretty well.

I live with the fact for early game the ai may be ahead tech/pop wise, but usually cach them up by middle to late ages of game.
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Minimum one worker per city. Later you can use them to boost city populations if you have captured enough slave workers to replace them.

My first three builds are always warrior-warrior-warrior or scout-warrior-warrior and then a settler. That gives you at least one unit to explore with and a warrior to protect each of your first 2 cities. You won't get enough growth to build a settler any sooner without an exceptionally good starting position anyway.

Try the Japanese as an easy civ to learn with. Militaristic and Religious are strong and complementary traits and the Samurai can give you a GA at a very good time.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Heh, Japanese are the only Civ that I've won with, in my only Chieftain game.

Here's the save from a Regent-Egypt-Standard map at 925BC. My cities are a little bit spread out and badly defended, but I've acquired some technologies and gold from barbarians, and tried to claim the resources early. There's a risky incense settlement going on at the bottom, and the other AI civs like me. There's quite a few mistakes that had been made, and I don't have as many workers as I'd like.
        Attached Files
        The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

I think I'm doomed...
          The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

I think you might have heard this before but

1) your cities are too far apart
            and
            2) you don't have enough workers.

These are still the main problems. If you solve those early, you'll be in a better position by this stage.

Comment

Yep... I sorted out the workers situation and had more cities closer by 10AD, but of course by then it was too late and had some greedy AI knocking at my door. I'll start another new game, maybe this time I'll make it to the Industrial age with a half-decent civilization.
              The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

Aloha! And welcome to Apolyton; Twelvebottoms (great name BTW!)

The answer to worker automation is well covered here, but let me add a few comments to help you along. In CIV 3 the fundamental basis for power is the city. The fundemental way to make cities to be productive is to improve tiles. This means that you need workers! I consider 1 worker per city to be an absolute minimum in order to make a civilization productive (more if you wish to connect your cities )

When in REX phase, pop out a worker right after a settler, If you need to wait to get up to size 2 then pop out a good (but cheap) defender before the worker.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

usually i average 2-3 workers per city and can match the settler development of ai pretty well.

That is too much IMO, especially for an industrious Civ, don't forget that every tile that has been improved but is not worked on is quite expensive, because it means that, you should have waited to build that worker and thus would have had a bigger income and production.
                  -
                  I even often go something like warrior- warrior - granary - settler.
                  A big capital is very powerfull even if it means slower initial slower growth.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Aloha Mad, friendly place here, eh?

Here's my current game at 10AD.
                    I can't see where to go from here besides war. I only have 1 luxury (6 wine) and am on the verge of linking trade to the mainland (I don't think the AI have any harbours). I don't see how the AI can expand, build an army, and still be so quick to discover advances. Luckily Ghandi swapped me 4 advances for 1, and I'm about equal in the world. Also, the japs (red) have their cities so far apart that they're way behind the rest of us. Plus I hate having to switch from Great Library with 95% of the shields to poxy marketplace. Sigh.

cheers
                    The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

(ahem)
                      PS I'll search the site glossary for "REX"
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Twelvebottoms; November 20, 2003, 21:03.
                      The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

Ever thought of re-starting for better conditions?

Some quick thoughts from the screenshot:
                        * I typically irrigate plains.
                        * How many 'worked' tiles does Tenochitlan have access to use? THat's sort of the point... maximizing the tiles, hopefully the best tiles, actually being used.
                        * That's a neat galley trick you have going between the homeland and the NW island.
                        * Quite the builder, eh? Come to the Dark Side.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I've just had a golden age and acquired Leonardo's, and Bach's, oh yeah and the Sistene Chapel. I've built Cathedrals everywhere and am about to set off in search of New World (Played Colonization?) I've culture flipped 2 chinese cities (including Shanghai) but Gandhi's gone totally bonanza; he's weakened Mao and is currently obliterating Japan, causing Emperor Tamagotchi to demand that I give him some techs (?) I said "prprprp" to him. I've got loads of Pikemen and Gandhi's being nice so far.

- Irrigate plains, eh?

- Tenochtitlan doesn't seem to complain about enough tiles, but a couple other cities do

- If I hadn't been able to get to the mainland with a galley, I wouldn't have bothered continuing

- Well when you're in a corner you can either build or fight - after I got some juicy land from the first culture flip, Mohandas and Mao went to war, and I wussed out despite starting to amass horsemen in the hills. Just wanted to explore the culture side of the game I suppose.

PS another question, what would happen if I built the UN, but wasn't elected Sec. General? Game over?

Another PS: Those two cities on the left that are very close together are what caused Shanghai to flip with 6 happy chinese people in it. I've now "cultured" loads of land on that side and I border Beijing.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Twelvebottoms; November 21, 2003, 02:57.
                          The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

Nothing wrong with being a builder, not at all. But there are some here who builds for the sake of having a strong industrial/scientific/commercial foundation for a supreme war machine.

Prepare for war, find a target, attack, get others to join, don't stop until he cries uncle, make peace, reap the rewards, find another victim. Rinse and repeat. Don't forget to keep your empire in good shape.

Join the Dark Side
                            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Oh I want to, believe me. As soon as I get enough cavalry or something, It's clobberin' time.
                              The Future of Sim Racing

Comment

My suggestion twelvebuttom, is to build your FP IN Taeyo and take a bite out of the Chinese and the Iroquois.

Not sure what difficulty you're playing, but your empire is far too small, even for a relatively peaceful builder game, or a machiavellian type manipulation game as I prefer to play them.
                                AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                                Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                                Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Working...
                                X