To Forum or Not to Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Forum or Not to Forum

As a famous playwright and theatre builder so eloquenlty stated many years ago...That is the question!

I won't be able to purchase and play C3C until this weekend. I'm completely torn whether I should come to the 'Poly forums and read player's Conquest comments and experiences.... I think I want to be surprised and develop/discover my own strategies.

So I put the question to you: Will you read Conquest specific threads on 'Poly regarding gameplay and strategy before you get a chance to play Conquests yourself?
    No, I first want to experience it for myself!
    17.86%
    Yes, I want to read threads on C3C gameplay!
    82.14%

The poll is expired.

Haven't been here for ages....

I will monitor the bug threads for a couple weeks. If there are too many bugs, I will wait for the first patch until I purchase.

Comment

I'll be foruming WHILE I play... hahahaahahhahaha
      If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
      Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

I said no but it depends on what happens. It will take a little while for those who have just got C3C to get to anything beyond the fairly obvious so I would not expect anything earth shattering in the threads before I get mine on the 14th and will probably keep an eye on them.

If, on the other hand, a horde of beta testers have been waiting to unburden themselves about how clever they are and what cool strategies they have developed I will avoid the forums completely.

Let's see.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I plan to monitor info on the basics: gameplay, bugs, cool features, changes. However, I won't read any stories about any specific conquest scenario, since I want the experience to be a surprise.
          They don't get no stranger.
          Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
          "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
            If, on the other hand, a horde of beta testers have been waiting to unburden themselves about how clever they are and what cool strategies they have developed I will avoid the forums completely.

Let's see.
            Good point...I'm especially concerned about learning of new exploits. I want to enjoy the game as it is intended.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I do not know for the moment.

So there should be a third option.

Comment

I will look for information about the gameplay effects of agricultural/seafaring traits and scientific Great Leaders. Also, I'm interested in the smaller rule changes to the main game, because Firaxis and Breakaway really seem to have listened to the modding community.
                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

i'd much rather read about it if i cant play it. That way i dont have any misconceptions when i do get my hands on the game!
                  "I came, I saw, and.....then I went home."

Comment

No, I won't read detailed gameplay threads first. I won't have time... I have to go buy this thing.
                    "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

well as conquest sis always dleayed somewhat in release down under i will have to read the forums first s tha tis all i will have access to.
                      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I see no reason to not read any interesting post. I don't have to incorporate strats, just because I see them, even if they are superior. I can still appreciate them and they can lead to other ideas, why invent what has already been invented?

As to any scenarios, I would forgot anything I read on them, long before I ever play them, if I ever play them. So far I have not played any, although I did finally play some in CivII (after years).

Comment

Sure I’ll read the posts. As far as the epic game goes, although a lot of cool stuff has been implemented, there is nothing so revolutionary as to be a game spoiler for me. And it would be more than a bit ironic if after absorbing all these scraps of information and rumors from various sources of varying levels of accountability all over the web prior to release, I suddenly decide to shun direct information from people whose play styles and viewpoints I am better aquainted with once it is here.

On the other hand, I have been particularly interested in playing the WWII Pacific scenario. Because that (from what I understand) will start off, at least, very different from anything seen so far, I will avoid those posts until after I have played a game.

- edit: clarity
                          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

hmmmm...

There is some merit in avoiding scenario specific threads.

What fun would the Age of Discovery be if you already knew all about it and had seen the map? I played it early in the beta, and I have to say the exploration part of it was a lot of fun.

If you never read the last page of a book first, then avoid the threads. If, OTOH you always read the last page first, then dive in. That would be my advice.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                            X