No announcement yet.

A question about patching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look on cruical.dom or already know the mem in that box, I would add another stick. Get to at least 384 or 512MB. You can buy mem for the price of the game for the non cutting edge stuff.

Civ does not really need more than that and Win98 has no clue as to what to due with more. Turn of animation for all but your battles. Look at the read me and find the INI setting to turn off the movies. Set desktop to 1024.

Comment

I really appreciate all the help guys, but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the slowsies for now.

For one thing, the video card (along with pretty much everything else) is on the motherboard. It doesn't have *any* RAM to itself. I've given it 64 megs in the BIOS, which helped a bit. I reduced my regular screen resolution down to 640x480 (actually, I might have overdone this, seems like civ UPs the resolution now. Both RAM slots are full (each w/ 128M sticks, and I'm not really willing to go buy more RAM, I'd rather return this computer to its former blockade duty and just buy a decent used one off of craigslist or something like it in a month or two.). I've already turned off all the animations , well except for the enemy moves. Seems like I always miss something crucial at some point in the game if I turn those off.

Oh well, back to my first Celtic game. I'm stuck on a 10 city island (w/ two luxuries however!) with the Mongols, Japanese, and Vikings on the mainland. I'm starting to catch up in tech, but I just got mapmaking. And back to REX'ing I go.
      Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. -William Blake

Comment

Re: Yes, it is too late heh heh.

Originally posted by cracky
        But I went to three stores and nobody had the regular Civ3, only the gold. I suppose I could have ordered the regular version along with Conquests, but I wanted to make sure it'd run before ordering Conquests... ...and it does run, just not speedily

hi ,

nah , you did good , imagine you have to play with someone who has only ptw , .... you save the use of a disk and with the gold edition you get everything together , .....

and waiting for platinum is still to far away

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
        X