A question about patching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about patching...

With Conquests coming out, I've finally broken down and decided to get Civ 3 for the PC. Now, if I'm planning on immidiately installing Conquests, do I still need to upgrade to the latest patch, or is this included on the Conquests CD?

Also, offhand, does anyone know how well Civ 3 works with Windows 95? Or should I just get 98, or even higher? (I'm a dyed in the wool mac user, so I don't know these kind of things )
    Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. -William Blake

Not sure if it works on windows 95 or not, but conquests will come with all the previous patches already on it. You should not have to download any (exept upcoming conquest patches, that is)

Comment

Thanks

Yes, I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.

The system requirements for Conquests includes Windows 95, but I'll probably end up with 98 just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Woops

Though Amazon.com includes Windows 95 in the system requirements, the conquests faq at http://civ3.com/conq_faq.cfm does NOT.

Comment

I would think it would not work on Win95 as it requires Direct x 8.1 and I doubt that is part of Win95.

Comment

Yeah,

that was the requirement that led me to start fishing for system requirements.

Actually, the last windows I used *was* 95. Hell if I can remember now what version of DirectX they were up to before 98 came out. Doesn't matter though, I've found a 98 CD.

As a side note, I just realized there's a whole Conquests forum.... So much for going to bed early tonight. $Deity help me if I find one over at cfc as well.

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by cracky
              Yes, I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.

The system requirements for Conquests includes Windows 95, but I'll probably end up with 98 just to be on the safe side.
              If your going to upgrade your OS anyway, don't even bother with 98, just go for XP. It's a much better platform. 98 is notoriously unstable.

Comment

Re: Yeah,

$Deity help me if I find one over at cfc as well.
                Well they have one there too, so I guess you won't be going to bed for a couple of days then.

Comment

Yes, I know

Oh well, I guess reading about all the new units and seafaring/agriculture was a good way to spend the night before a midterm. Now I have nothing to do all weekend but anticipate!

As for Windows, this is a fairly tame PC we're talking about here, and it has a very weird chip, a 700 Mhz Via Samuel2 (go China!). I don't know how well either Windows 98 or XP will handle it, but since the only reason I'll be using the Windows partition is for Conquests, and I have a 98 CD sitting in a drawer next to me and no access to an XP CD, I don't really see the need to go blow $170 on XP. Though, if I get too many crashes I'll certainly consider it...

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Comment

I have an Win98SE PC going and it rarely crashes. No new drivers have been added in at least a year. It has Direct X 8.1 and plays CivIII and PTW just fine.
                    I do prefer my XP system though and that is my main PC.

Comment

well, THAT was fun

Well, 98 is installed, updated, patched, latest drivers downloaded, those got patched. Pretty much anything that'll cause a reboot, I've done tonight (up to 385,199 reboots so far tonight)......

...and of course Civ 3 Gold is installed! yay, my first games with the PTW civs (little behind the curve, ain't I?). Anyway, the upshot of this whole thing is that (Obviously. Doesn't everyone?) I need a faster computer . When the opening movie is choppy, and occasionally I see a worker multiply three or four times while moving from one tile to another, it's time to upgrade.

But, do I care? Nope. 'cause as soon as I saw that Civ *will* run, I went and preordered Conquests, heh heh.

Comment

Re: well, THAT was fun

Well, 98 is installed, updated, patched, latest drivers downloaded, those got patched. Pretty much anything that'll cause a reboot, I've done tonight (up to 385,199 reboots so far tonight)......

...and of course Civ 3 Gold is installed! yay, my first games with the PTW civs (little behind the curve, ain't I?). Anyway, the upshot of this whole thing is that (Obviously. Doesn't everyone?) I need a faster computer . When the opening movie is choppy, and occasionally I see a worker multiply three or four times while moving from one tile to another, it's time to upgrade.

But, do I care? Nope. 'cause as soon as I saw that Civ *will* run, I went and preordered Conquests, heh heh.

hi ,

what you have on ram

defrag , close of everything that you dont need ( big saver there )

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Meh.

Closing everything doesn't really help, and it has 256M of RAM. The thing is, I never expected to put windows on this machine. It was just supposed to sit in the closet, humming away, being my firewall and file/web servers. But, it'll have to do for Civ until I talk myself into ponying up the dough for a new machine....

...anyway, back on topic , I don't really need to worry about patching. The Civ 3 Gold edition is already up to date with 1.27f.

Comment

It may be too late, but you could have just bought the original Civ 3 and then Conquests, and ignore the gold edition. Conquests holds all the improvements in PTW, so you don't have to buy both.

Probably too late, but you could have saved a couple of bucks...

--Kon--
                            Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Yes, it is too late heh heh.

But I went to three stores and nobody had the regular Civ3, only the gold. I suppose I could have ordered the regular version along with Conquests, but I wanted to make sure it'd run before ordering Conquests... ...and it does run, just not speedily

Comment

Working...
                              X