Conscription army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conscription army

I am playing my game, and just realized how easier it is to build an army with Conscript. They have only 2 bar, but they seems to promote easy. And this leave me to be able to build more important research and production unit in my city. Am I missing something with a Conscript Army?
    Infamous Captain Ben of the Pearl Island http://pirates.infoorion.com My Sid Meier's Pirates!

I dont understand. How can you create an army with a conscipt unit?

Comment

Sorry I used the army term, but I meant multiple unit going on offense. I am so unlucky with those leader, that I barely ever see an elite troop transform into leader
      Infamous Captain Ben of the Pearl Island http://pirates.infoorion.com My Sid Meier's Pirates!

Comment

The only problem with that then is conscripts are defeated easier. For example a conscript warrior has no chance against a veteran or elite warrior.

Comment

ctben, why do you make your going without Great Leaders a self-fulfilling prophecy? For Crying Out Softly, at least use a core of veteran-built units for your units!!

One of the great disadvantages the AI has is their tendency to fight with Regulars vs. the player's vets. Using conscripts turns the tables in their favor. Sure, a conscript may have a 50% chance of promotion with victory, but if you lose ....

If you are playing at Chieftan or Warlord difficulty and therefore combating obsolete units, you are setting yourself up for a fall when you advance in levels. Drafting also reaps unhappiness. Don't get into such bad habits!

Comment

Also conscripts are only recieved from drafting of barbarians, and drafting makes yous cities small and unhappy, and barbarian conscripts aren't that many, so I've hard to understand how you can get ennough units in that way for a real offence...

What time period in the game is it you use conscripts for offense?
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I am modern area, I just discover mech infantry while all the opponent defend their city with regular infantry.

I play on huge map, and had enough city to draft 25 mech infantry in one turn.

But I didn't realized the unhappy factor, I'll check for that next time

Comment

One unhappy person for 20 turns per draft.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Something doesn't seem right here with what cptben is saying. How are you so ahead in technology?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
                    Something doesn't seem right here with what cptben is saying. How are you so ahead in technology?
                    Computers is a first line tech in modern age, so the other civs need not be that far behind. Also, Mech Inf requires oil and rubber, while Inf only needs oil. Another civ may have the tech but not the oil.
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy

Computers is a first line tech in modern age, so the other civs need not be that far behind. Also, Mech Inf requires oil and rubber, while Inf only needs oil. Another civ may have the tech but not the oil.
                      I'm sure you meant to say the Inf only needs rubber..

Comment

Not to mention the AI could have the tech and the resources, but just not have built any or upgraded. They are known to be slow about that sort of thing.

Comment

It depends what level you are on really... But I believe cptben plays chieftan thus answering my own question.

Comment

conscripts are very costly in the long run if you draft citizens to get them.

They CAN however give you a string militairy boost on the short term.

so you could use them in emergency situations or in like a final assault.

the quality of conscripts depend on your tech level. if the conscripts you are getting are higher level units than your opponent's, they can do some damage, and beat things.
                            If they are equal or lower level, they will be very inefficient. they will most likely die before the opponent dies, maybe they will have done some damage, but maybe your opponents get a promotion as well.

Comment

the unhappiness it causes has always stopped me from doing this. i did try it in early games but gave up as it so much easier to build vet units and get them promoted and then get leaders from the elites.
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X