Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does clearing terrain cause resources to dry up sooner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it was just the wording he was upset about

Comment

Thanks all!

Thanks everyone for your contributions to my Civ3 education relating to the vast array of undocumented game details. I also expect that the benefits of your posts extend to many others who may be wondering whether clearing that forest or jungle is such a good idea...
      Cheers, bvc

Comment

not a problem

Comment

Re: Thanks all!

Originally posted by bvoncranium
          I also expect that the benefits of your posts extend to many others who may be wondering whether clearing that forest or jungle is such a good idea...
          Cheers, bvc
          Believe me, it's not the first time that question has come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
            I think it was just the wording he was upset about
            Who's upset? I did notice the winking smilie. Not everyone around here is oblivious to sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              Resources are placed on permitted terrain as the map is generated. They are not placed when they are first "discovered".
              When I first read this one subtlety that I failed to appreciate is that a resource could appear to you on the 'wrong terrain'.
              If everything stated above is correct, then the following hypothetical example might occur:
              * When the map is generated, a specific forest tile has uranium assigned to it;
              * Early in the game the forest is cleared, revealing grassland;
              * Upon the acquisition of Fission, the uranium becomes visible; surprisingly it appears on the grassland (!)

It would seem that this could happen with any resource that appears in forest or jungle, but not in grassland or plains:
              coal, rubber, uranium, furs, dyes, spices, silks, and gems.

I've never seen the appearance of resources on the 'wrong terrain'; has anyone else?

- bvc

Comment

It happens and I've seen it. However, I don't have any screenshot, so you'll have to believe me without any proof.
                Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Yes that does happen and it was meant to be allowed. You are free to work any tile without regard to its impact on any resource appearing. A at map gen all are predeterimed as was stated. If you get any sudden appearence during teh game, the tiles are treated as they were first generated to met any requirements.

Since PTW after the second patch, I have not seen a great deal of resource depletion/replacemnt anyway.

Comment

One notable exception is the Iron resource. At least for me, there were a surprising number of times that the resource was gone - of course, Murphy's Law always applied, and that happened always when I was on a medieval war against some multiple opponents.

Comment

Working...
                    X