No announcement yet.

Helicopter being shot down??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is SO satisfying when a helicopter or bomber shoots down an intercepting jet fighter!

Comment

I think it's happened to me, but won't swear to it. I'm pretty sure it can, though, otherwise why would a helo need hitpoints?

Helicopters have their uses, however limited (obviously, one being airdropping units onto resources), and I've expounded on them before, but I'll recount my favorite helo story.

I was fighting India and had a stack of MA's pushed inside their borders a turn to get to Hyderabad, which had some resource I was eager to deny Gandhi. They took the city, but with far heavier casualties than I had anticipated (only one full health unit with enough move points to get into the city), and India's borders closed completely around the city, thick enough that getting more MA's in to defend was impossible. Load up an Air Cav division (8 helos) with an Infantry division, rebase them all in Hyderabad and presto, 8 Infantry unload and fortify, assuring that I'll be able to hold the city.

I've also used them to drop Infantry deep into enemy territory and create a "sacrificial front", with no purpose other than to fortify (on a hill or mtn if possible) and soak up enemy attackers, keeping them away from the front line while my main force gobbles up city after city. Paratroops are good for this, too.

Bottom line is that I can live without them, and in a tight tech race, they don't make researching AF that appealing, but I do like to keep 2-3 divisions of them on hand when I can. For the numbers perspective, I always play on huge maps, so 16-24 gold for maintenance isn't as big a deal as it might be on smaller maps.

For the future: I would like to see a separate attack helicopter unit, incapable of transport, but working somewhat along the lines of the civ 2 helo.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Jaybe

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
          Bottom line is that I can live without them, and in a tight tech race, they don't make researching AF that appealing..........

For the future: I would like to see a separate attack helicopter unit, incapable of transport, but working somewhat along the lines of the civ 2 helo.
          I totally agree with you

In a tight tech race you can't afford to waste time researching a tech that the game designers just threw in the game for fun. Bring back the Civ2 helo!
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

True dat, I miss maybe not the sound , but certainly the idea of a battle heli

Comment

actually been experimenting in my latest game, built three helicopters to see if they any use. But by the time i built them i no longer had infantrry left to carry, had upgraded all to mech inf.

i built some paratroopers just for fun too and found both were basically useless, not enoguh attack and certainly not enough defence.
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Helos and Marines make a good island hopping force.

Helos and Infantry make a good resourse denial force.

While not being used as transports, Helos can do recon on 'quiet' fronts to give advanced warning of enemies coming.

Every unit has a use, it depends on the style of play and the imagination of the player.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

While not being used as transports, Helos can do recon on 'quiet' fronts to give advanced warning of enemies coming.

Every unit has a use, it depends on the style of play and the imagination of the player.
                  Well said
                  -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Definately agree with you there. More often than not I'm usually way behind the tech race and unfortunately have to ignore these techs on the research tree.
                    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                    X