Radical Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radical Idea?

I just got the idea from the China thread. I'm not talking about implementation, etc, simply concept:

Should traits change with ages- either by user choice, user action, or by history? What I mean by user action is if someone acts industrious, then at the next age advancement, perhaps the civ becomes industrious.

I don't have the game available right now for checking on specifics so I can't give any solid examples. It is a little hard to think about this as not all nations evolved simultaneously. The americans were originally industrious and expansionist, but that's in the 16th-18th century AD, not 40th century BC. (I'd call modern americans industrious commercial).

Interesting idea, but expansionist is only applicable to the start-game. It would also be a bit complicated. You'd have to learn 8 traits for each civ, and it would be even harder for the poor AI to cope with.

Comment

hi ,

why not , they should change with age and form of gov , ....

BUT this should have an option on and off , ......

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

sounds very SMAC. I love SMAC so a great idea.
        For your photo needs:
        http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

It would be very interesting to modify behaviour in an attempt to gain traits. That would add a bunch to the game. Being able to lose them too? Maybe.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I would love a more dynamical on other fronts too ( geography for one (ie mountains rising whlile other terrain flattens)).
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              It would be very interesting to modify behaviour in an attempt to gain traits. That would add a bunch to the game. Being able to lose them too? Maybe.
              Kinda like the GalCiv concept of having to make choices?
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I think the only major problem is Cort Haus said, the AI would be utterly confused. (By that, I mean they wouldn't exploit it at all, and would likely be set back)

As long as you could turn it on and off, I see no player complaints about it

Someone make Civ4 already. Wait a few years?... I guess...

Comment

Re: Radical Idea?

Originally posted by Epistax
                  ... simply concept:

Should traits change with ages- either by user choice, user action, or by history? What I mean by user action is if someone acts industrious, then at the next age advancement, perhaps the civ becomes industrious.
                  Do you mean an improvement in the level of a particular skill if the user acts accordingly (for example if you irrigate 30% of your territory, your workers irrigate even faster; if you fight wars for 40 turns your units are more likely to get promoted; if you can reveal a quarter of the map in a certain turns your scouts/naval units move even faster, etc) or just getting commercial trait if you're the one who gets the most gold per turn or losing it if you're the poorest civ inthe game?

Anyway that's cool. Don't several other games have similar features? (HoMM?)
                  for SMciv4

Comment

Re: Re: Radical Idea?

Originally posted by ISTANBUL

Do you mean an improvement in the level of a particular skill if the user acts accordingly (for example if you irrigate 30% of your territory, your workers irrigate even faster; if you fight wars for 40 turns your units are more likely to get promoted; if you can reveal a quarter of the map in a certain turns your scouts/naval units move even faster, etc) or just getting commercial trait if you're the one who gets the most gold per turn or losing it if you're the poorest civ inthe game?

I didn't mean that but it's a good idea. If you started industrious, and acted industrious, you become more industrious. I just used industrious three times in a sentence.

Comment

Re: Radical Idea?

Originally posted by Epistax
                      ... simply concept:

for SMciv4

Comment

Americans were never expansionist -- at least not the way the game models it.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm all for it .
                          Traits should depend on your behaviour and surronding geogragphy (well, both are tied anyway), rather than to be predetermined. A highly militarized society should become militaristic; the game couldmaybe determine if a Civ is militaristic based on the length of military service (ratio units / population).
                          If a Civ is landlocked in your game, it should not be seafaring, even if it's English or Viking. By the same token, a Civ should not develop the expansionist trait if it's locked on a tiny island. I think these traits should be directly dependent of the emphasis players accord to exploration and to navy-building.

But to decide how a Civ would turn religious or scientific isn't easy. I wonder what the factors to become religious would be.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            Americans were never expansionist -- at least not the way the game models it.
                            hi ,

, just take a look at all the wars the US has waged since its birth , more then 100 , ...... if that aint expansionist , ....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I'm all for it - for civ4. It is simply TOO LARGE of a change, code- and gameplay-wise, to be as an expansion.

Also, I think there are many more important things.

Comment

Working...
                              X